Balloon Mollies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Balloon Mollies

I just got 4 Balloon Mollies today. I have a 10gl fish tank. Will they survive? Heard that it might be too small. Anyhow, anyone can give me info on those fish? Here is pics, I think its 2 males and 2 females.

Last edited by Sandra; 03-12-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 08:48 PM

How cute Like any tropical fish the rule of thumb is 1 inch per gallon.Now you have what is known as livebearers with tend to be a little messier they egg layers.So I would estimate the size of each ballon mollie to be 1 inch.You can up to 10 in a 10 gallon tank.Provided you have good filtration.The picture of the red one is a female.You can tell by the bottom fin.The female are round,the males are pointed!!! Have fun.Please remember these guys love to jump,so make sure you have a secure lid.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:50 PM

I didn't know they came in different colors, I've only had the white before. They are all pretty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A 10 gallon tank should be fine for the number of Mollies you have as long as you have good filtration and the tank doesn't become over crowded as remember mollies are live bearers and breed pretty frequently so your more than likely going to end up with some fry very soon, so thats something you need to bare in mind but a 10 gallon should be plenty big enough for now as they don't tend to get too big! They are very pretty though

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

My poor dalmatien Balloon Molly died. I only had it for less than 2 days. When I got my water tested (for getting the B.M.) the guy said the water was good. So I dont know why it died. The orange and black one are females and the dalmatien and white one are males. So now I have 1 male and 2 females. Sorry for not knowing much but what does "livebearers" mean? I think I have a good filtration, water is heated at about 78. I must of done something wrong, but I dont know what.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of my aquarium, you think there is too much stuff in it? The filter I have is a AquaClear Mini.

Last edited by Sandra; 03-12-2006 at 08:22 AM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sorry to hear about your fish. I'm sure it wasn't your fault there was more than likely something wrong with it when you got it and the stress of the move probably was the final straw so don't beat yourself up as these things do happen even to the healthiest looking fish As for mollies being livebearers it means they give birth to live young instead of laying eggs like a lot of fish!

Kirsty

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
As for mollies being livebearers it means they give birth to live young instead of laying eggs like a lot of fish!
Oh, I had guppies and I didnt even know that. Good thing that Petsmart "garanties" fish. I'll have to get another one. Is it better to get a female or male? I've read there should be 1 male for 3 females....but I am not sure. Now I have 1 male and 2 females. My tank is too small for them to multiply but I'd love to see baby Mollies!!!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
Oh, I had guppies and I didnt even know that. Good thing that Petsmart "garanties" fish. I'll have to get another one. Is it better to get a female or male? I've read there should be 1 male for 3 females....but I am not sure. Now I have 1 male and 2 females. My tank is too small for them to multiply but I'd love to see baby Mollies!!!

They normally say 2/3 females to one male so you would be about right with what you have or if you get one more female As for babies if they was to have any fry the adults might eat some of it but any of the surviving ones you could try selling to your local fish store if keeping them wasn't a possibility

Kirsty

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:40 AM

I'd say they probably died because you likely had an ammonia spike. Four fish in a 10 gal is to many at one time.

The dalmation looked like a girl to me in that picture. The white is a male, and the black and orange are definately girls.

Edited to add... you should have a seperate tank to move babies into for when and if the females have babies. The grown up fish will eat the babies without hesitation.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 05:49 PM

Sorry about your loss,Your tank is beautiful and you can never have 2 much stuff,just to many fish.Let me ask you a few guestions.
First 4 mollies to cycle a 10 gal. is a perfect #no.It could have just been stress from the move.
Is this a new tank.Clean no fish poop in it?
Do you know about the cycle?
Did you add salt?
Did you add conditioner?
What type lite do you have? flor.or inc.?
Did you float the bag?
Did the fish swim funny?
Also live bearer are veggie eaters so get food with algae,&plants.

I had a room built just for my fish,there is a pond in the floor with a water fall.I have it full of livebearers.Its wonderful
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Do you know about the cycle? yes my aquarium was already set up. Started having fish 2 years ago
Did you add salt? I added salt as directed. the one I bought reduces stress
Did you add conditioner? no I didnt
What type lite do you have? flor.or inc.? Regular 2X 15W light bulb
Did you float the bag? I letted the bag float open until all the fish came out by themselves
Did the fish swim funny? No, non of them. My dalmatien even looked healthy, and ate. So I dont know what happenend during the night.

So I should have real plants in the aquarium? If so what kind? thanks

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 07:06 PM

Plants are not a great idea,the fish will pick at them,and make a mess.Stick with plastic.Look for conditioning food made by tetra.
OK,its an old tank so you should have algae in it?
Salt is added to help fish fight disease,i'm not sure what you used was it a liquid?
Conditioner is a most this puts the slime coating back on the fish which is lost durning transportation,stress,...Always use this when adding new fish,it also removes clorine from the water.
The lights you are using will heat the tank,so only leave them on when you want to see the fish.Your fish really like the dark.
Leave the bag in the water when you buy new fish for about 15 min.Then open it,put 1/4 of your water to the bagged water.Due this every10/15 min.until bag is full then let fish swim out.This way if you have a problem with your water condition the fish are introduced to it slowly and have a better chance of living.
Also add an air stone too your tank.This will give you more oxygen a the fish love the water movement.
You will never know why your fish passed,but it was nothing you did.I am just giving you precautions so maybe it won't happen again.
Never clean your tank....a fishes stomach is only as big as its eye...never let any food go to the bottom even if you have bottom feeders...always take a water sample with you when you by new fish,(test for ammonia,nitites,nitrates and p.h.)just to be safe.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggypaws
1)so you should have algae in it?
2)Salt is added to help fish fight disease,i'm not sure what you used was it a liquid? 3)Also add an air stone too your tank. 4)Never clean your tank 5)never let any food go to the bottom
I have never seen algae in my aquarium. That is the weird thing since I dont have those fish that cleans the aquarum. I just remember getting real plants at the begining and the next thing I knew, my aquaruim was full of mignature snails......now I have much much less bug I guess they take care of the cleaning. BTW I never cleaned the aquarium, I only use that air thing to clean up a bit the bottom rocks.

Re the food, I use Nutrafin Max Livebearer Food. Its a mixture of flakes and tubifex worms. But I cant controle what falls since even if I put just a pintch of food, some of it goes right to the botton since I have a air stone that creates movement.

The salt I used is Doc Wellfish's Aquarium Salt. Says on the box "reduces stress and adds electrolytes, improves Gill Function"

Thanks for your help! I woke up this morning and my 3 Balloon Mollies are still alive. So that is a good sign...I hope. I have a 7 days garanty on my dead fish, when is best to add my last fish?

Last edited by Sandra; 10-11-2005 at 08:48 AM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 01:04 PM

The presents of algae means you have an established tank,and its okay to add new fish.Its good to have algae on the back of the tank
so you can watch to see if it starts dieing.If it does normally this means some of your bacteria has been killed.
Do not add any new fish until you have the water checked by someone how can explain to you what each test is for and where you are in your cycle.Nitrates are the last in the cycle and the most deadly,algae eats the nitrares and hold your tank in balance.Green algae,brown algae is usually too much lite.
Nutrafin is a good food,if it say for livebearers then that what you need.Tetras just been around so long I know what they sell.
I hnow the salt it ok.Did you know mollies can be put into a salt water tank?So a lil' extra salt won't hurt them.But remember salt never leaves your tank,excapt threw the removal of water.
Have Fun...

Tags
aquarium salt, fish tank, local fish store, pet store, tropical fish