Barred Mudskipper? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Barred Mudskipper?

Sasami,this may be a good topic for you.

I was into the tropical/marine fish only store today and dude had in something I never seen before...barred mudskippers. They were so interesting and neat to watch/look at. I really like their eyes. I never seen one in real life before and they were neat.

Can you tell me more about them? Or point me to any good websites? I may want one in the future...but I hear they are sensitive,so maybe not. I would like to research them though,whether I get one in the future or no. Just to learn about something new. I knew of these guys before,but didn't realize people kept them as pets.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Look up Periophthalmus argentilineatus to see if it matches. There are a few commonly sold mudskipper species (all wild-caught to my knowledge). I mostly have experience with Periophthalmodon septemradiatus.

The care will be different depending on the species. Most are brackish with some being adaptable enough to tolerate marine or even freshwater conditions. I kept mine in low salinity brackish conditions (achieved using marine salt, I used Instant Ocean brand). I kept a bare bottom tank for ease of cleaning but used sand briefly (it does look more natural and lets them dig but my species was more terrestrial so it didn't matter). I used rocks as decorations and left a few sticking out of the water to create land areas. I also had a fake cave underwater which mine liked to hide in when she was actually in the water. I originally fed crickets, fruit flies, bloodworms, blackworms, mysis shrimp, and enriched brine shrimp. As time went on she started to eat pellets occasionally, too. She was very tame and would eat of my hand.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks. I looked up both species...it is the 2nd one...Periophthalmodon septemradiatus. So I guess they have the wrong name on it? Cause they only had "barred mudskipper" on the sign,but looking those up...they are a bit different.

But Periophthalmodon septemradiatus looks exactly like the kind they have. What is that species common name?

I am heading to bed now,but will do some research tomorrow. Thanks.

Did you just have one? How do you tell if they are male/female?

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's why I asked about the species thing, pet stores tend to get it wrong and common names don't mean much anyway . I don't know what they're normally called, I usually just see them labeled as "mudskippers" .

I had just one. I sexed her by comparing her to photos online, I can try to find them tomorrow.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,I shouldn't put much faith into pet stores and usually don't...but this is usually a knowledgeable and well kept store. I know the owner,his name is Paul and I refer to the store as "Paul's Place"...but that is not the name. Haha. He knows what he is doing (most times)...but these guys are a first for his store,so maybe that is what the supplier told him they were called and he doesn't have much experience with them or something? I dunno.

I think I will pass on them for now. But am researching them anyways. They are neat little fishies.

* Lisa *