Photos! Before they leave, pics of the koi - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Red face Before they leave, pics of the koi

Just wanted everyone to see them, before they left. :/ PS does anyone know how many goldfish and koi can be kept in a 1100 gallon pond? One woman wants the koi, but I won't give them to her if she has too many already. ANYWHOO here are my aquatic babies

Greg is the white/blue, Nabakov is the orange/black, and Muppet is the silver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0284.jpg (66.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0285.jpg (69.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0287.jpg (69.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0288.jpg (74.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0289.jpg (73.6 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

There's no real "golden rule" when it comes to stocking fish. It depends on her filtration, current fish, water parameters, maintenance schedule, and water circulation.

If her tank doesn't have any fish yet or is lightly stocked, the koi should be fine. It's always possible that they'll outgrow it eventually but that'd take years and growth depends on factors like the variety of koi, diet, etc.

Very pretty koi, I love the silver ones.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

She said she had koi and goldfish, but she wanted some bigger koi (mine). So she said it has been cycling for a while now. What should I look for when I ask about their filtration systems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
She said she had koi and goldfish, but she wanted some bigger koi (mine). So she said it has been cycling for a while now. What should I look for when I ask about their filtration systems?
Find out how many koi and goldfish. Also, "cycling for a while" implies that the pond isn't cycled yet...? That seems weird to me so maybe see if you can get a nitrite reading (I say nitrite because it'll be very straight-forward...if there's any at all, the tank is unstable and not cycled yet).

Ask what kind of filter(s) she has as well as the water pumps. I'm not really much of an expert on pond filtration (ponds aren't really my thing) but it should be over-filtered since koi and goldfish are so messy. A lot of times, filters are rated as if the user is under-stocking their aquarium/pond. So in a heavily stocked pond, you want a filter rated for something much larger (or more than one filter).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Hello Earthling

Koi need at least 1000 gallons for the first fish and 500 gallons for each additional fish.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Koi need at least 1000 gallons for the first fish and 500 gallons for each additional fish.
It depends on a lot of factors, though. I don't like those kinds of rules. Filtration makes all the difference, for example. You can't even have one koi in a 1000-gallon pond with improper filtration.

In this case, though, remember that the koi are in danger of getting sick/dying the longer they're kept in the aquarium (ammonia is off the charts). It might be better to get them in a pond even if they'll eventually have to be moved again .

It's not ideal but the whole situation isn't .

~Stephanie

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

There is a woman who contacted me with a 2500 gallon pond with years of experience keeping koi. I have had a few offers, but for some reason I really believe that she would be a good home. The only problem is, she'll only take the butterfly. That would leave Greg all alone. But seeing as there hasn't been many offers with adequate living arrangements, I may just have to separate the three amigos.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
It depends on a lot of factors, though. I don't like those kinds of rules. Filtration makes all the difference, for example. You can't even have one koi in a 1000-gallon pond with improper filtration.

In this case, though, remember that the koi are in danger of getting sick/dying the longer they're kept in the aquarium (ammonia is off the charts). It might be better to get them in a pond even if they'll eventually have to be moved again .

It's not ideal but the whole situation isn't .

True....

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
There is a woman who contacted me with a 2500 gallon pond with years of experience keeping koi. I have had a few offers, but for some reason I really believe that she would be a good home. The only problem is, she'll only take the butterfly. That would leave Greg all alone. But seeing as there hasn't been many offers with adequate living arrangements, I may just have to separate the three amigos.
I would do it, that sounds perfect. Maybe Greg can go with the other person? Provided their pond isn't heavily stocked already.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

excuse me, her pond is 24,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A picture of it looks amazing, it should be a good home for at least the two...I would beg her to take Greg but I don't want to chance the fact that she would give him away too, and not be as selective as I am about it.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Hello Earthling

I would defiantly give her the fish if she has the room and a pond that big.

With the other fish gone you can take longer to find Greg a home since the water quality should stay better with only one fish.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
excuse me, her pond is 24,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A picture of it looks amazing, it should be a good home for at least the two...I would beg her to take Greg but I don't want to chance the fact that she would give him away too, and not be as selective as I am about it.
Wow, that's awesome. I'm sure Greg will find a good home, too. Did you ever hear back from the other person?

~Stephanie

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm getting so many weird responses for these guys...Like someone who said they have a pond with 12 koi, but only two 55 gallon filters. Sheesh! Its sad to think that lots of koi especially have homes worse off than mine...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I'm getting so many weird responses for these guys...Like someone who said they have a pond with 12 koi, but only two 55 gallon filters. Sheesh! Its sad to think that lots of koi especially have homes worse off than mine...
I think that part of it is that to a lot of people, ponds and koi are thought of as decorations. The animals' well-being isn't usually considered. It is sad, though .

~Stephanie

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah :/

So the lady said she would take all of them BUT She is 4 hours away and I would have to drive them. Ugh.

But today I got an email from someone with a gorgeous pond and only a few fish in it already, it looks amazing. I want them to go there now, because I really do feel like that lady will give Greg away.

Tags
koi