Beta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Wink Beta

Hi everyone,

I bought a Beta in a glass bowl, and I really don't like to have him in there because I know it's not what is best for him. I want to put him in my 10 gl with 2 snails. Is this ok? I need to know what kind of plants, real or artificial that I should use and what kind of decorations will be good for him if this is a go. Any information you guys have on how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, that should be fine . What kind of snails are they? Apple Snails?

If you go with artificial plants avoid plastic ones. Silk plants are the best...you need something soft that won't rip the betta's fins.

As far as live plants go some good beginner ones are java fern, java moss, anubius, hornwort, and amazon swords. I could recommend more but I'd need to know what kind of lighting you have. Have you ever had any live plants before? Floating plants like water sprite tend to be loved by bettas because they can build bubblenests under them.

Oh, and for other decorations get some things the betta can hide in like rocks with holes in them and little castles.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

hello sasami,

yes, i have 2 apple snails, as far as the lighting goes, i looked at the hood/cover where the light is and it doesn't give me any info. i bought the package at walmart that gave you everything you needed to start up an aquarium.

now, i am assuming that i should take out the filter and bubble stone (which are both quite powerful) and just get a smaller air stone? and also leave the filter out and do more weekly water changes? i read that betas don't like the water disturbance from the filter.

he is a beautiful fish, so colorful. by the way, after i bought the tank and set it up i felt really bad contributing to walmarts fish department. they do such a crappy job at taking care of the fish. but i was there shopping on saturday night and had to venture into the pet aisles for cat litter and all the fish tanks are empty, not even running and all the betas are gone too. which is probably a good thing, but it just makes me wonder what happend to all those poor fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenyfur
hello sasami,

yes, i have 2 apple snails, as far as the lighting goes, i looked at the hood/cover where the light is and it doesn't give me any info. i bought the package at walmart that gave you everything you needed to start up an aquarium.

now, i am assuming that i should take out the filter and bubble stone (which are both quite powerful) and just get a smaller air stone? and also leave the filter out and do more weekly water changes? i read that betas don't like the water disturbance from the filter.

he is a beautiful fish, so colorful. by the way, after i bought the tank and set it up i felt really bad contributing to walmarts fish department. they do such a crappy job at taking care of the fish. but i was there shopping on saturday night and had to venture into the pet aisles for cat litter and all the fish tanks are empty, not even running and all the betas are gone too. which is probably a good thing, but it just makes me wonder what happend to all those poor fish.
Look at the bulbs in the hood. If they look like normal house lightbulbs they are incandescent and if they are longer tubes then they are flourescent. Of course, you still won't know the wattage but it's pretty easy to guess since most kits are similar .

Yes, you might want to take out the airstone and I wouldn't get another one. Bettas breathe from the air...they don't need much oxygen in the water. And having an airstone will make it harder to keep plants because it'll lower the CO2.

You really need a filter, though. If yours is too strong you could try putting plants in front of it...they'll help keep the current down. If not then I'd get a new one. The Hagen AquaClear is really good and you can adjust it.

Our Wal-Mart doesn't sell fish but yeah, I've heard a lot of horror stories . But don't feel too bad...they don't make much profit off the fish, just the supplies.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 01:29 AM

A betta should be fine with snails. Sasami gave a lot of good information. My bettas have always been fine with whatever filtration system I have and I have a large tank with a big filter. I do have plants in front of it and it is adjustable. The males have usually chosen their territory in a calmer part of the tank, but I used to have one that loved to swim through the bubble wall and under the filter. He was a little clown.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Hello all,

I am looking for suggestions....

I will be putting my betta in my 10 gl tank with 2 apple snails. I read that apple snails will eat goldfish flakes. But I feed my betta the bites/pellets. Goldfish flakes will not be good for my betta, so what can I feed the snails that the betta could munch on too? He loves his bites too! And once a week I give him dried blood worms. He loves those too.

Thanks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Hello all,

I am looking for suggestions....

I will be putting my betta in my 10 gl tank with 2 apple snails. I read that apple snails will eat goldfish flakes. But I feed my betta the bites/pellets. Goldfish flakes will not be good for my betta, so what can I feed the snails that the betta could munch on too? He loves his bites too! And once a week I give him dried blood worms. He loves those too.

Thanks.
The snails would probably eat the betta pellets. You could also give them sinking wafers .

I bet the snails would love bloodworms, too!

~Stephanie

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:27 PM

It should be fine as everyone else has said. Do you have any pics of your beta? I love beta's
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I will send pics as soon as I have him set up! I wanted to say thanks so much to everyone who gave me all this advice. You all are so much help and I have learned more here than I would have at a pet store any day!

Jose the Betta will be saying Gracias!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I will send pics as soon as I have him set up! I wanted to say thanks so much to everyone who gave me all this advice. You all are so much help and I have learned more here than I would have at a pet store any day!

Jose the Betta will be saying Gracias!

OMG, my betta's name is Jose
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

That is too funny! I called him Jose because every time I would walk by him he would fan out and act like he had not been fed in weeks after i just fed him and i would always say no way Jose. So the name just stuck.

But what a coincedence that both our blue green bettas are named Jose! They say everyone has a twin....
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 10:58 AM

yes indeed..i'll have to tell my Jose i found his long lost brother
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

Well Jose is loving his new home, but i think he is having a tough time getting used to the current on the filter. I have turned it down low, but it still bothers him. I was thinking of buying a pre-filter to add to the existing filter, but then that would not stop the current. What I decided I want to buy is a Jungle dirt manager Junior for 10 gallon tank. The small local pet store has them, but they are for 25 gl tanks, and i don't think they carry them in any other size. But, I can't find them anywhere else! Does anyone know where they sell them? I also removed the small air stone I had in the tank as I think it was making Jose irritated!

Tags
blood worms, fish tank, local pet store, pet store