beta! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

beta!

I am possibly moving with a friend of mine and she has a 29 gal (i think if not bigger) tank that she isnt using and said i could... if we move in together... and i am thinking i want a beta... can i keep 2 or so girls together? do they mate well in captivity? because i pondered getting a male too because i know some fish dont do well in house hold tanks if you dont have the right nesting areas they wont have babies (i don't know if thats really true but i read it some where i think) i think it would be nice having one not have the most redicolously small amount of room possible.

and maybe a frog, and a snail! it would be great!

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:26 AM

i would just get a betta and possible a frog/snail...i wouldn't mate b/c there is chance you would lose ur lil guys i know Sasami will be around to help...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i dont want to mate, thats why i asked if they do in captivity well.. if they do i wont do it.. i can see it getting out of hand too quick

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, females can be kept together. But you wouldn't want just a couple...the more, the better. Because even though females can live together they can still be aggressive and in a large group the aggression is spread around. If you had, say, only three girls then two might gang up on the other.

So I would get five or six females. You don't want to mix genders... they will end up fighting. Breeding bettas is actually quite tricky and the breeding pair is only kept together while breeding since otherwise they might each other. Even when doing everything right you can still end up with fatalities . Oh, and getting them to breed is often the easy part . Raising the fry is a whole other story...

If you don't want a group of females then I would get a single male and some other peaceful community fish. Bottom-dwellers such as cory cats and oto cats are good since the bettas barely notice them. African Dwarf Frogs are usually good tankmates with bettas...but watch them carefully at first. The frogs seem to prefer having at least one buddy so I'd get a pair. The only annoying thing with the frogs is that they aren't always the best at finding food so you have to target-feed or hand-feed them. They also do best on frozen or live foods rather then flakes and pellets. But bettas are the same way so I think it should work out .

Snails are neat but require special care so research first. Apple Snails are great if you are new to snails...they are hardy, peaceful, and come in a bunch of varieties. They do need to be fed different foods such as vegetables. They don't eat fish poop like some people think .

Also, make sure the filter isn't too strong if you have a male. Sometimes they have trouble swimming and making bubblenests. Luckily there are many adjustable filters and there are other ways to slow the current such as getting lots of plants.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

ok no mixing for me then! i dont want anyone hurt. I might get a little girl i havent had one before.. ive only had the males...

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:34 PM

you wouldnt be able to keep your females and males together becuase the male would probably eat the females. You could keep them in seperate tanks if you really wanted them. They are also very hard to breed for first time owners. If you really wanna breed strat with something like mollys they are really easy to breed you just stick them together and make sure the babies dont get eaten by any bigger fish! or even their mums

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, breeding pair, cory cats, dwarf frogs, males together