Beta food question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Beta food question

So my beta fish that I've had since May has suddenly stopped being interested in his pellet food. But before I explain any farther heres a bit about his tank.

His tank is/has

+ Heated ( always about 80 degrees)
+ Cleaned about every two-three weeks
+ 2 Gallons (He's alone)
+ Has LIVE plants (three small ones)
+ Gravel covers the bottom
+ Has a terra cotta pot
+ Is filtered
+ Has day time/ night time light (He likes having one or the other on at all times.)

I also use Betta Bowl Plus in it to get rid of chlorine and other dangerous stuff in the tap water. As well as Tetra Algae control, because of a problem that just won't seem to go away. I had to get rid of his favorite plant (it was his huge bushy plant) because it had gotten too big and was covered in algae. After that he's slowly become less and less interested in eating.

He used to eat about eight to nine pellets but now only eats one or two and lets the rest go to the bottom. I've been thinking of giving him frozen bloodworms to help spark his interest in food again but not sure if it's because of him being bored of the pellets or because he doesn't like his new plants (that are not bushy)

Should I buy another bushy plant or try the new food? He's still very healthy looking (nice and fat, not too fat though) and is still very active (loves to come up and flare at me ) I would love to hear what you guys think. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Betta Bomb

A 2.5 needs to be cleaned more often that that!! Oh, you have a filter.. Is the current from the filter too strong?? Many betta's hate a strong filter current. But you might be having trouble with a build up of ammonia and nitrates or whatever since you don't clean it very often.

As for adding another live plant, the perfect plant for you would be Marimo moss balls. They are actually a form of algae but they are good algae and compete with the regular algae in the tank. If I were you, I'd get like 2 or 3 for that size tank. They won't clean the water or replace changing the water but they wil compete for food with algae that grows due to lack of scrubbing. Most pet stores sell them but some are actually just golf balls (you'll know it's a ball if it's floating) and they are usually way overpriced!! I got my moss ball at PetSmart for like 10$ but then went on ebay and have 5 on the way for a total cost of 6$!!

8-9 pellets??? you have been killing your fish with kindness, my friend. Put him on a diet. A betta'a tummy is only the size of their eye approximately. 3-4 pellets A DAY is enough. Frozen bloodworms are a very good source of protein but should only be fed a few every couple of days.. Exceeding no more than twice a week in normal circumstances. Freeze dried bloodworms are okay too but have way less nutrients and can cause constipation unless they are soaked in water prior to feeding. Remember that bloodworms are only a treat, which ever form you feed.

Do you have pics of your betta? (you can attach them to your reply via the paper clip icon)

For now, I think your problem is just simple. Put him on a diet. You are feeding him way way too much!! lol And betta's have no way of telling you when they're full and can often times eat themselves sick.

Also, for your size tank, do a 50% water change once a week and every other week do a full change. What kind of filter are you using? What kind of cartridge?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

A 2-gallon is a bit small for a betta so I'd upgrade if you have the space (a 5-gallon shouldn't take up much more space than a 2-gallon and it'd be MUCH more appropriate).

As the above poster stated, you probably have some build up of ammonia or nitrates due to the infrequent water changes. When I kept my bettas in 2-gallon aquariums (I don't anymore after seeing how well they did in larger tanks) I did weekly full water changes...or at least 50-60% changes if I was in a rush that day. Your algae problems are being caused by this as well and I would stop adding the anti-algae stuff (it probably doesn't work, to be honest) and instead step up your water changes . Make sure you're cleaning the gravel well since that's where waste builds up and breaks down into ammonia.

What kind of pellets are you feeding? Even if you were feeding the tiniest pellets (New Life Spectrum or HBH Betta Bites) that sounds like way too much. He should only be eating a few a day (the exact number depends on brand). I usually feed my bettas four or five times a week instead of every day. Supplementing with live or frozen foods is a good way to keep things moving in his digestive system, too. Some examples of what I feed are fruit flies, bloodworms, blackworms, brine shrimp, freshwater mysis shrimp, chopped earthworms, and pinhead crickets.

I'm guessing he's not feeling well due to a combination of too much food and polluted water (it's probably not terrible or anything so don't feel bad...but more water changes will really help!). Luckily, that's an easy fix .

P.S. Do you have any pictures? We love pictures around here and it's always awesome to see a betta that's well cared for!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have been looking for a good moss ball but they don't seem to sell them at the pet stores nearby for some reason. Maybe I've over looked them. That's a good idea though.

He doens't eat them all. It's because I feed him him in the morning then leave, so he really only eats about three. It's just to make sure he gets to eat some. But I will cut down, that is a good idea. Maybe he'll eat more if I feed him less.

Yes the type of filter I use is just the one that came with the tank. It's called Petco power filter 5. And I use the filters that are sold for it. Now that I think about and (and watch) it does seems too strong. Do they make small filters that aren't too strong? I used to turn it off during feeding time but stopped after I got back from my trip (a weekend ago) but I'm starting to do that again and he seemed to eat nicely today.

Thanks for posting! It's always good to think all this stuff over. I have pictures of him in my photo album on my profile. I'll see if I can figure out how to post one on here.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorianMess View Post
I have been looking for a good moss ball but they don't seem to sell them at the pet stores nearby for some reason. Maybe I've over looked them. That's a good idea though.

He doens't eat them all. It's because I feed him him in the morning then leave, so he really only eats about three. It's just to make sure he gets to eat some. But I will cut down, that is a good idea. Maybe he'll eat more if I feed him less.

Yes the type of filter I use is just the one that came with the tank. It's called Petco power filter 5. And I use the filters that are sold for it. Now that I think about and (and watch) it does seems too strong. Do they make small filters that aren't too strong? I used to turn it off during feeding time but stopped after I got back from my trip (a weekend ago) but I'm starting to do that again and he seemed to eat nicely today.

Thanks for posting! It's always good to think all this stuff over. I have pictures of him in my photo album on my profile. I'll see if I can figure out how to post one on here.
Is the filter adjustable? I use Azoo Palm Filters for my smaller tanks, they're adjustable so I can turn them down for the bettas . You can also block the flow a bit by placing plants and decorations in the path of the filter output.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I'm not sure if it is. I'll have to check that out. I do have room on my desk and am thinking of updating to a bigger tank. That sounds like a good idea. I have heard from a lot of other betta owners that a 2 gallon is fine as long as they are alone in it. Which he is. But I think I'll update it so I can put a different type of fish in with him. The food I feed him is called Aqueon betta food. It's fairy small pellets.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Betta Bomb

Filter flow can be interrupted with plants or a sponge. I guess your betta might be okay in a larger space, some bettas get freaked out. I wouldn't move him to a larger tank until you have plenty of plants. Too much open space can freak bettas out! Some are fine, my betta is never hiding and always up close watching and dancing.. All betta's are different though 2.5 is fine. Some people disagree which is the requirement for bettas and obviously everyone is entitled to there own opinions but I think a 2.5 is fine. If you can upgrade then do so
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Filter flow can be interrupted with plants or a sponge. I guess your betta might be okay in a larger space, some bettas get freaked out. I wouldn't move him to a larger tank until you have plenty of plants. Too much open space can freak bettas out! Some are fine, my betta is never hiding and always up close watching and dancing.. All betta's are different though 2.5 is fine. Some people disagree which is the requirement for bettas and obviously everyone is entitled to there own opinions but I think a 2.5 is fine. If you can upgrade then do so
My theory is that bettas aren't freaked out by larger spaces but rather people say that to make themselves feel better when keeping them in tiny homes like vases. Either that or they didn't give their betta time to acclimate, didn't cycle the new tank (this is really likely), or didn't provide hiding spaces, like you said. I have never seen a betta that legitimately couldn't thrive in a "large" (I don't consider a 5-gallon large) tank. The rice paddies they live in are much deeper than even the largest commonly sold aquariums.

I think a betta can be maintained in a 2-gallon so it's definitely not a "bad" home but a 5-gallon is much more stable and gives you more options as far as filters and heaters go. They're easier to cycle, helping prevent a lot of betta diseases that shouldn't be as common as they are.

(Note: This is not really to single you out and you're not the kind of person I'm referring to. I'm referring more to people who keep bettas in small bowls/vases and justify it by saying that they don't do well in larger aquariums.)

~Stephanie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Betta Bomb

I know. Thanks though ^.^ I'm open minded enough to know I'm not doing anything 'wrong' perse. Everyone has their own opinions and whatnot.

That said, I am on my way out the door to look at the kritter keeprs at PetSMart. I just called and they finally have some in stock! If Lisa goes in on it we might also get frozen bloodworms (seeing as I stated, one pkg is too much for 1 betta)

Tags
beta