Beta Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Question Beta Question

My Beta Christopher Marlowe just died. He was doing just fine. He was a very spunky, friendly fish. I changed his water as usual and was fairly careful to get rid of all the dish soap residue. He lives in a vase with a plant on top. The water line went all the way up to where the plant sat, so there was no air between the plant and water. I am wondering if this may be the cause of his death. I feel like such a bad owner. I really liked this guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Question Does anyone know about betas?

I am still waiting for a reply.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:47 PM

Your not a bad owner these things happen i dont no a lot about betas but like all fish a tank is better than a vase read this thread.

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...&threadid=2188
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:55 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Yes, I agree those plant things they sell in Wal-mart are bad. There have been a few things posted on Bettas - try doing a search and in the meantime I'll dig up more articles for you!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 03:52 AM

a betta has to get to the surface to breath so those vase things should be taken off the market not to mention they say they dont need food ...what a load of you know what ..my bettas have half a 10 gallon each
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Okay, okay, I get the idea. But let me clarify. I do not have a small little vase with a narrow hole at the top. I also have my beta vase near my reptile cages which end up keeping our apt. at around 70 without any other heating. Here is a link to my pics of current set up. Please be honest but not brutal.

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...?threadid=3985
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The advice is welcomed. No offense taken. I just wanted to clarify.

We keep the reptiles in the living room which is the biggest room we have. Their cages range in temperature from 80 to the high 90's. The windows in our apt. are not double pained, so they let a lot of heat out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 04:24 PM
max391203

Plants create oxygen so I don't think that was the problem. Did you put an additive in the water to remove chlorine? Did you check the water for it's PH level? You would'nt have to worry about ammonia, nitrites or nitrate because of the frequent water changes you did but your water may have been to acidic for your little guy. Fish can adjust to different water qualities but over time it can be the result of their death. Most water is set at a slightly acidic level by the city. If you WERE using a water additive then I would buy a Ph test kit and check your tap water's PH level. If it is below 7.0 then that is why fishy died. If you WEREN'T using a water additive, then this is why fishy passed away. If you know all about what I'm saying then disregard this message. But if this is helpful, I hope you resolve your mystery so you can feel confident getting a new fishy.
P.S. I don't think you have to buy an elaborate set up for a Betta. The problem with the vase you have is that his swimming space is tall rather that wide. Fish do much better in an environment that has a larger surface space then height space. I do agree with tyguy though about an aquarium being easier to take care of. If you ever need more fish info, I have 14 yrs. experience with aquariums. Don't be affraid to contact me at [email protected]

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 06:35 PM
max391203

My fiance works for the city in my area and he told me that they do adjust the PH levels to suit their needs. Ours is set at high 6's. They were going to raise it to 7.0 but they changed their minds. Too bad because it would have made my aquarium maintenance easier.
And you're right Toirtis, I stand corrected, Betta's can handle a wider PH range. Got my wires crossed somewhere..... So maybe it's a chlorine problem. Did you use water conditioner?

Tags
tap water