Betta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Betta

I was wondering.... does anyone know if Betta's are completely solitary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 08:39 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

What do you mean by completely solitary? Are you asking if they can co-exsist with other fish? If so, males should be tanked seperatly, or have small, non aggressive companions. Even then, you must watch for fighting as every fish is different. Most female bettas can co-exsist in a community environment.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, it is the males I was wondering about. Just wondering if they had to be in a tank by themselves or if they could go with other fish. What sort of non-aggressive fish would you put them with, if any?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:53 PM

It is known that betta's live solitary lives in bowls on the living-room coffee table or atop the family computer desk: The males are highly territorial and cannot be kept together. When confronted with another male - or his own image in a mirror - the male Betta will display, flaring his fins and gill covers.

As for putting them with other fish im not completely sure, there is the possiblity of waking up the next morning with a few dead fish if your betta male doesn't like them.

This aggressive tendency explains the Betta’s other name, the "Siamese Fighting Fish". In its native land, the Betta has been fought for sport for centuries.

Hope this has helped

ae
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 01:30 PM

I had researched this question myself a while ago when i had a male betta... and i foudn out that most males can live in the same tank as other fish as long as they are "community" fish. If you go to the pet store most of the tanks will be grouped by community, aggressive and so on, or you can search online for community fish and it will give you some names of what kinds are in that category. Female bettas can almost always be housed with other fish as long as non of them are aggressive and they can also be housed with other female bettas as well. But in regards to the male bettas just make sure they are with other community fish and no other bettas, also some bettas will still fight with other community fish it just depends on their personality. But i had a male betta and he lived with 3 other fish in a tank in my house and was quite happy untill he passed away. Goodluck
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Male Bettas can live in a community tank with other peaceful community fish as long as there aren't any fin nippers or other Bettas both male and female in the tank and a lot of people do keep them this way and successfully but it always depends on the fish personality wise aswell as some Betta's are more firey than others you just need to be prepared to seperate him if he doesn't get on with the other fish or if he finds life too stressful as they prefer still waters. I've always kept Bettas alone with success

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 05:57 PM

Angel fish are a bad choice, after i found out with my first tropical fish tank (when i was younger lol), the Angel Fish for some reason killed my Betta and my other fish but since then we've only had cold water fish, would like to have some tropical fish but i'd have to save up some money first .
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 08:11 PM

I think it's just easier to keep bettas alone and they seem content that way.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help guys. I probably wont be getting a Betta seeing as how I have a Goldfish. My other Goldfish didn't make the transition into the tank. I have just always liked the Betta's and will consider getting a seperate tank for him.

Thanks again!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:54 AM

What size tank are you keeping the goldie in? Let us know how it goes!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Right now he is a baby so he is in a 10g, seeing as how the lady said I could keep two Goldfish in that size tank. After reading up on it though, I realize I will have to get a bigger tank.

As soon as I get a few $$ I will be getting him a bigger tank.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 01:31 PM

I have a male and a female Betta in my tank with some guppies, a clown loach and a small pleco. they seem to get on fine. I was told once that you can put a betta in a tank with other fish, but not other fish in a tank with a betta. What I mean by this is that if the Betta has his own tank, you shouldn't put other fish in with him, but if you have a commuity tank already set up, it is ok to add a betta to it. that way, i guess he doesn't go all territorial! Not sure how true this is but it was an interesting thought!

Tags
bigger tank, female betta, female bettas, fish tank, male betta, pet store, tropical fish