Betta... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Iv just been looking at all your bautiful bettas! Im amazed at how gorgeous they are.

I have a tank with mostly mollies and one bristle-nosed cat fish, would a betta get on well with these or are they better as solitary fish? Im not very familiar with them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 06:28 PM

i *think* they would go just fine in there. other than mollies like brackish water and i dont think bettas do.
are your mollies in brackish?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 03:27 PM

If your mollies are fresh water, than they would a male betta would be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 03:29 PM

i dont know 100% about the catfish, but i am sure they will be fine.

and of course you can always house bettas by themselfs if you would like. 1 gallon minimum.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

No, not a brackish tank. Betta look like they could quite big??

We've got a lot of baby mollies at the moment so it's quite an active tank. They wouldn't annoy the betta?? We were told by the advisors in the aquarium shop that we wouldn't be allowed a siamese fighter (male) because the tetras in the tank would nip its long, flowing fins. Given bettas have extremtly long fins would this apply???

Thanks for your advise.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That would be fine . Of course, it depends on the individual fish...I bet some bettas would be aggressive and at the same time you might have nippy mollies. But yeah, it should work out.

Although bettas shouldn't really be kept in a completely brackish tank some salt is good for them so that shouldn't be a problem.

What size is your tank? Oh, and definately read up on bettas before buying one .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 03:39 PM

if you have tetras then yes i could be a problem.
you can always see how it works, and if it doesnt, 1 gallon betta tanks are cheap and easy to find. i have even used 1 gallon mason and pickle jars.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloverabbits
No, not a brackish tank. Betta look like they could quite big??

We've got a lot of baby mollies at the moment so it's quite an active tank. They wouldn't annoy the betta?? We were told by the advisors in the aquarium shop that we wouldn't be allowed a siamese fighter (male) because the tetras in the tank would nip its long, flowing fins. Given bettas have extremtly long fins would this apply???

Thanks for your advise.
I didn't see this post...you have tetras? What kind? I think it would work out depending on the tetras. I have a betta housed with neons.

And bettas don't get too big...only about 2.5 inches. Unless you have a giant betta .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 01:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have 1 betta at the moment and at first he was housed with my goldfish,but he kept going after them.Now he is in a 2 gallon tank by himself and seems quite happy.

Some bettas are MORE aggressive then others.I have had bettas who lived with other fish and totally ignored them and then bettas like my current boy,Ice,who are aggressive towards other fish.

I am sure you know 2 male bettas CANNOT BE KEPT TOGETHER,right?

Most tetras are nippy and would be tempted to nip the long,flowy betta fins.I found that out the hard way awhile ago.Put a betta in my tank which has glowlight tetras,bleeding heart tetras and rasboras and the next day I found the betta floating at the top,his fins shredded.I seperated him immedialty,but he died the same day.I am pretty sure he died from stress,as he was in bad shape.

Do your research on bettas before going and getting one.Maybe it would be best to set up a tank just for the betta himself.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
I didn't see this post...you have tetras? What kind? I think it would work out depending on the tetras. I have a betta housed with neons.

And bettas don't get too big...only about 2.5 inches. Unless you have a giant betta .
No i dont have any at the moment but i ask because i used too and i quite like tetras. Was thinking of getting some more. Only little neons like you.

Definately think i need to do some reading.

Thanks all!!!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloverabbits
No i dont have any at the moment but i ask because i used too and i quite like tetras. Was thinking of getting some more. Only little neons like you.

Definately think i need to do some reading.

Thanks all!!!
Neons usually work out although if you have a really shy, nervous betta then sometimes their quick movements stress them out. Some people say neons can be nippy too but I don't think that happens very often. Of course it depends on the fish .

~Stephanie

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

the betta and catfish would def be fine...catfish is way to big to start a fight...however i quess for the mollies it depends on how many and how aggressive the fish is..my betta was best buds with a tetra...till one day out of the blue the tetra had its fins nipped by the betta..and were seperated after that

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
the betta and catfish would def be fine...catfish is way to big to start a fight...however i quess for the mollies it depends on how many and how aggressive the fish is..my betta was best buds with a tetra...till one day out of the blue the tetra had its fins nipped by the betta..and were seperated after that
I'm a bit undecided about what to do. I would love a betta but dont have th space for another tank if it didn't thrive in my existing tank. Im slightly put off putting one in my existing tank because there a lot of mollies and platies. The males get quite aggressive when they are trying to mate with the femals and it causes a lot of movement in the tank.

What does everyone think about siamese fighting fish???
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 06:21 PM
RAT ADDICT

Siamese fighting fish and bettas are the same fish!

They are a wonderful fish to have though.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I knew that... (she replies sheepishly!)

Im not, as you have probably guessed, very familiar with fish! They just look so big in all your pictures and the siamese fighters i have seen are generally quite small.

Think I'll read up on them a bit more before I make any additions. Ill stick with my mollies and platies!

Tags
male betta