The Betta Bug - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

The Betta Bug

I have been wanting another betta now for days! I have even been preparing a tank for a new betta.

I even had a dream last night where my whole house had tanks and vases (altho in reality,I think vases...most anyway are too small for bettas) all over my house,in every room with bettas in them!That would be cool tho...but probably will never do it.

Icey,my only betta now is doing well.His fins are growing in nicely again and he seems more active then ever...actually it seems overnight he turned into a new fish.He swims all over the place in his tank now and is VERY active...he wasn't like this when I first got him.

Anyway so I am now in search of another betta.I would like either a crowntail or a white betta.I had a white one before and he was gorgeous!

Anyway just thought I would share!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

When you get the new one take pictures!!! As I'm sure you know, I'm a huge betta lover!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:27 PM

Bettas are gorgeous I would love more in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Oooohhhh how exciting, i love preparing a new tank

I love Bettas too, had a few over the years but i only have one at the moment Bruce. He is white with electric blue streaks through his fins and he is the friendliest betta i have owned

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Oooohhhh how exciting, i love preparing a new tank

I love Bettas too, had a few over the years but i only have one at the moment Bruce. He is white with electric blue streaks through his fins and he is the friendliest betta i have owned
I know...me too!I am hoping to get a new betta this week,when I go to do my pet shopping on Thursday.

Bruce sounds gorgeous!

I love how they have different personalities.My guy now is so awesome!He likes to stare at me tho and that is un-nerving sometimes...LOL!

* Lisa *

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:47 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I miss having Betta's also, ONCE I get my pond, which MAYBE this week I HOPE, all my goldfish are going into it as it is a LARGE pond. Then I will have extra room (tons actually if people seen the size of my goldies) in my 50 gal tank. So I could get a Betta again and Females...As then it will be a tropical tank!! Ooo EXCITED...especially cause buy one fish at Petcetera, get one free!! I would buy a Male, and then get a couple of females to start and collect them, as one male needs at least 4 females. I am excited now!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
I miss having Betta's also, ONCE I get my pond, which MAYBE this week I HOPE, all my goldfish are going into it as it is a LARGE pond. Then I will have extra room (tons actually if people seen the size of my goldies) in my 50 gal tank. So I could get a Betta again and Females...As then it will be a tropical tank!! Ooo EXCITED...especially cause buy one fish at Petcetera, get one free!! I would buy a Male, and then get a couple of females to start and collect them, as one male needs at least 4 females. I am excited now!!
I hate to mess with your perfect plan but you can't really keep males and females together safely . Even in a big tank there would most likely be fighting. Breeders always seperate males and females right after mating...because otherwise they'd kill each other! Instead, I would get a ton of females or just one male and some other fish.

Or you could look into the more peaceful betta species, such as betta imbellis .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Dawna,I forgot all about that buy one,get one free fish sale at Petcetera!!!!!!!That means if I buy a betta there,I will get one free!Looks like I will be setting up a 3rd betta tank somewhere!

Stepahnie,what is a betta imballis??? Did I spell that right?

* Lisa *

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Dawna,I forgot all about that buy one,get one free fish sale at Petcetera!!!!!!!That means if I buy a betta there,I will get one free!Looks like I will be setting up a 3rd betta tank somewhere!

Betta imbellis . It's a different betta species...also known as the "peaceful betta". It gets that name because even males can live happily together (with a large enough tank, of course). The bettas you see in stores are betta splendens. There are many other species but they can be hard to find.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Betta imbellis . It's a different betta species...also known as the "peaceful betta". It gets that name because even males can live happily together (with a large enough tank, of course). The bettas you see in stores are betta splendens. There are many other species but they can be hard to find.
I knew that the bettas we have are betta splendens...but I don't know the other ones.I remember a long time ago,looking at something that looked like a betta,but a little different...I wonder if that was a spcies??? I don't remember what it was called.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I knew that the bettas we have are betta splendens...but I don't know the other ones.I remember a long time ago,looking at something that looked like a betta,but a little different...I wonder if that was a spcies??? I don't remember what it was called.
It might've been although other betta species besides splendens are usually not found it stores. Although they could've been special ordered .

Another possiblity was that it was a "plakat" or "wild type" betta. It's the wild variety of betta splendens and has short fins like this:

http://www.atisonbetta.com/gallery10.asp

Some other species I've seen are betta simplex, betta macrostoma, betta pugnax, betta prima, betta pi, betta bellica, and betta smaragdina.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

That looks like what I seen...so maybe???I dunno,it was awhile ago anyway.

But there are a few speciality fish stores here that sell ALL kinds of fish,ones you won't find in an average/ordinary pet store!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
That looks like what I seen...so maybe???I dunno,it was awhile ago anyway.

But there are a few speciality fish stores here that sell ALL kinds of fish,ones you won't find in an average/ordinary pet store!
Yeah, we have stores like that too . But other betta species are usually imported from Asia so most stores don't seem to bother.

I'd love some betta imbellis some day. Maybe when I have an extra tank around I'll order a few.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:33 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Quote:

YUP!! As long as your a member!! Makes me want fishies now too!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Tags
males together, pet shop, pet store