Betta Fin Problem!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Betta Fin Problem!!!

Okay, my betta's fin has all of a sudden started tearing up. It has rips in his back fins. He also has white edges on his back fins. I'm really worried, what's going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Everytime I look at my betta, the fins seem a little more torn up. He also has three scales on top of his head that look a bit golden. I think Music has fin rot...Has anyone ever had to mediacte a fin rotting betta?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 01:44 PM

If the fins are being torn so quickly, he is most likely doing it to himself. I had two bettas that were so aggressive, they would tear their own tails up (thinking it was another betta). I've heard that its pretty common, and there really isn't anything you can do about it. Make sure he can't see his reflection anywhere in the tank, and don't show him is reflection in a mirror for awhile. It could be fin rot but I doubt it because fin rot takes much longer. I remember when my red betta Frankie, was tearing his fins all the time, and the edges looked white too. If you keep an eye on him you'll probably catch him doing it. I'm sorry and I hope he stops soon! Mine don't do it anymore so hopefully yours will stop too. If you suspect that its fin rot, there are plenty of meds for it at the pet store. Keep us updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks VeggieGirl! Well, there is white stuff on the fins, but the edges are black, so I put some fin rot medicine in the tank. He's still as active as ever, so I think he's okay for now.
What I don't get is that fin rot is caused by dirty water, and I've had Music for two weeks now, and his water is always perfectly clean. The pet store water was dirty, but does it take two weeks for fin rot to show up?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
Thanks VeggieGirl! Well, there is white stuff on the fins, but the edges are black, so I put some fin rot medicine in the tank. He's still as active as ever, so I think he's okay for now.
Do you have any plants in the tank that could be tearing his fins? They have really delicate fins so plastic plants are sometimes too sharp.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

No there are no sharp edges or anything, he has a live java fern and an imitation corral, but there are no edges or places where he could get stuck. I cleaned his tank today, and put more medicine in it. He seems to be getting better and is still energetic and eating like a little piggy. I'm going to keep the medicine in there for two weeks or so, to make sure the germs don't come back. His fin edges are really blck grey, so I'm pretty sure it's fin rot.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 09:02 PM

I'm glad he's doing better! Hopefully his fins will grow back soon. I just got a new betta and I'm hoping he doesn't get fin rot too. Its a miracle if they don't, considering that most of them aren't treated very well at the pet stores.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Yea, my betta was in a vase, and I thought he would stay in that, but nooo! They had to dump him into a plastic bag and then shake up the water to see if he was alive and then they kept slamming it onto the counter, trying to write on it. I was like "Excuse me, stop doing that to MY fish!" And they didn't stop 'til my mom told them to stop! They are so ignorant and mean to the itty bitty bettas!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 09:15 PM

My betta was in about an inch of water in a the tiniest betta cup I have ever seen. There were about a hundred others like that two (I posted a thread about it in the vents and rants section). It makes me sooooo mad! They are treated so terribly just because it doesn't kill them right away and its cheaper for the company. Its so sad.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

At Petsmart they had a pyramid of bettas in cups, and you couldn't even reach the ones in the center. So many of them were dead, it made me so sad. We should launch a protest to educate pet stores!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 10:37 PM

Quote:
At Petsmart they had a pyramid of bettas in cups, and you couldn't even reach the ones in the center. So many of them were dead, it made me so sad. We should launch a protest to educate pet stores!
We should! Too bad you don't live near me. I'd fight them with you girl!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Pet store people get so mad when "correct" them. Just cuz I'm a kid doesn't mean I don't know anything.

My betta is getting worse again. He was okay yesterday and the day before with the medicine, but now his fins have decreased in size even more. I have medicine in his clean tank, so what's the problem? I'm really worried now.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Pet store people get so mad when "correct" them. Just cuz I'm a kid doesn't mean I don't know anything.

My betta is getting worse again. He was okay yesterday and the day before with the medicine, but now his fins have decreased in size even more. I have medicine in his clean tank, so what's the problem? I'm really worried now.
Awww, thats too bad. Sometimes it takes awhile for the medicine to work. What kind are you using? If you are following the instructions on the package (usually you add more daily or every few days after doing a small water change) and its still not working, you may want to try a different kind. I've heard that Maracyn-Two works good for bettas. I'm using it right now on one of mine that is bloated and probably has ulcers. It also works for fin and tail rot, dropsy, popeye, and gill disease. You may want to give that a try, but if you can't find that one there are probably some others at tlfs that are for fin and tail rot.

Oh, and did you take the carbon out of the filter? The carbon will remove all the medicine from the water so you have to take it out during treatment. You can still keep your filter going but you have to take the carbon out.

If you want to use a new medicine after completing the other one, make sure that they can safely interact. If not, do a small water change and add carbon to your filter for awhile before adding the new medicine. I hope your fishy gets better.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I took the filter out before even putting the medicine in. The medicine I'm using is Fungus Clear by Jungle. It says it gets rid of tail, fin, or mouth rot, and that you put one tablet in for ten gallons. Since I have a 2.5 gallon tank I put in a quarter of a tablet. Should I wait awhile before getting new medicine?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 01:00 PM

Hmmm, its up to you. I'm not sure about that medicine. Does it say to repeat the dose or is it supposed to work in one dose? One dose medicines make me suspicious because in my experience it takes longer than that. You might want to try an antibiotic like tetracycline or try maracyn-two. Its really your call though.

Tags
aquarium salt, fin rot, pet store, pet stores