betta with fin rot - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

betta with fin rot

I know I've thought my betta had fin rot but not I'm positive its not his coloring. I treated him a while ago with Bettafix and had no success with it at all. I've been cleaning his water once a week 100% and putting stress coat and blackwater extract in there. It's a 10 gallon with a filter. The filter doesn't have a strong current on it and the temp is at 79-80. I just don't know what else I can do for him. His tail looks a lot more tattered than before and it seems to be getting shorter. He also has a split on his tail now
Any advice on what I can use to treat him?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Have you tried fin rot medication? Most local fish stores carry medication and theres usually one available for fin rot

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

I haven't tried it yet because I wanted to know what someone has tried that had a fin rot problem. I think I'll try Maricyn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:16 PM

maricyn works great, I've never used it on a betta, but it worked great on my community tank when it got "the plague". also I would hook up an air pump, sometimes the extra water flow helps with the medication and overall health and lifespan of fish. wow, that sounded really smart
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

I have an airpump...but I never turn it on. It's a betta and they breath from the surface so I think he'll be ok. But thanks. I'll go to the store and get some.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I have a betta who likes to rest on the intake for his filter His tail is always torn and thread like. Perhaps yours is doing something similar?

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

He could be but that wouldn't explain the black edges. I plan on fixing the intake so that the tail doesn't get stuck on there but I also do need to treat the fin rot.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:06 AM

Aw claudia I know nothing of fish but i hope Rye gets better
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Sorry, I missed the black part! I do hope you find the problem.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'd try another medciation at a store. I hope he's alright.

Pet parent to Orei and Princess (the kitties), Caeser (the doggie), Marco, Piper and Silferno (the ratties).
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

I think he bit his tail. All of the black edges are gone but his tail is all jagged as if some parts were just ripped off. I'm still going to try the med though.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 06:10 PM

That's how my betta, Music, was. At first I thought he had fin rot and tried so many different medicines, but his tail never grew back. He still is completely happy and vivacious so I don't know what could be wrong. Good luck with your little guy!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 11:02 PM

Is your betta on his own in the tank or with other fish??

If he is with other fish it could be that his fins are being chewed to shreds by the other fish while your not looking....

Is it ok to do one hundred per cent water changes?? i have only ever done partial water changes due to the bacteria content established in my tanks... ??? even when i had a case of pop eye i still only did small changes every other day over a week, keeping the good stuff still in the water.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Well, I heard that the beneficial bacteria would stay in the filter and the gravel so I don't wash the gravel out or change the filter until water can't go through it anymore. I acclimate him to the water all the time. He is the only one in the tank and now it seems like he has something else other than the fin biting and rot. He seems to be getting this gold color to his fins which was never there before and he's lost his appetite. He will only eat once a day so I think now he has velvet So now I think I have to treat him with something else. He has salt in the tank now because I heard that was good for that and I raised the temp up a bit more to 82. Other than that, I have no idea what med to him.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 02:35 AM

Sounds like fin rot you should do a gravel clean every couple of weeks, the poo and crap that sits in it is actually toxic. I would do small water changes but use the gravel cleaner (you can make one with a hose and coke bottle) to clean the gravel and just rinse your filter in your tank water (take some water out of the tank and then rinse your filter in it) that way you keep your beneficial bacteria and clean the filter at the same time. You really need to keep the water clean enough, fin rot can be caused by poor water quality and it can also be a secondary infection from some other disease. Go and get a broad spectrum antibiotic asap and use it. Do small water changes every other day for a week or so. Put some stress ease in the tank along with a small amount of salt, this may help. If the fin rot is very severe you can sedate your fish and trim the affected areas..... I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep your tank clean i dont know what else to say..... i hope you manage to save your fish.

Last edited by purplepainter; 06-14-2005 at 02:38 AM.

Tags
fin rot, local fish store