betta fish died - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

betta fish died

A guy I work with just bought a new betta fish. He said that they got him a nice 2.5 gallon tank set up. He made sure he treated the water before he put the betta in. They also bought some ghost shrimp and some betta approved plants to place in the aquarium. The betta was fine but about 36-48 hours after the betta died. So have most of the ghost shrimp.
He has signed up for the site but his posts are being monitored now so I am putting this in for him.
I told him that Sasami would be able to help and that there are a lot of other people on this site that could help as well.

I will let him know to look for your reponses to this post. I am sure you will hear from him as soon as the monitors post his posts.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 09:41 AM

Hmm, what temp was the water?

Possibly he put too much stuff in at once. You need to wait for you water to cycle before adding fish. There were probably too much nitrates(?) and they were poisened.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Will It Ever Change?

don't you have to let the water with the filter run for 24 hours before you add fish and stuff? get the filter good and working. it also takes a long time to get the chlorine out?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

not in a 2.5 and after you dechlorinize the water with a chemical, which will work instantly. very cold temp may not kill a young betta, i know that from experience, it must be somthing else..maybe the ghost shrimp were unhealthy and were secreting toxins that caused everyone to die within the tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Hopefully he is checking this.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Since it's a 2.5-gallon you can't really cycle it and need to do 100% water changes so cycling isn't the issue. Actually, cycling such a small tank can be dangerous.

Temperature probably wouldn't have caused such a quick death either. But when you said he heated the water first does that mean he put in warm water or used an actual heater?

If the tank is a Mini-Bow tell him to take the filter out because they are too strong for bettas and will bother the shrimp, too. In a small tank for a betta you do not need a filter.

Was the water dechlorinated? And that doesn't mean leaving it out overnight. Maybe he forgot water conditioner? If not, maybe your town uses chloromines and his dechlorinator doesn't remove those?

The water should be tested in case the pH is really off or something. Though I doubt that's the problem.

But there's a good chance he did nothing wrong. Sadly, many bettas are unhealthy when purchased . Remember, they are often shipped from Asia and are kept in very small containers. Several don't even make the trip.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if he got it from walmart, they often die with in hours, one time i was there the betta's didnt have enough water. most were swimming on their sides because they couldnt swim upright and we told a worker and they said yea the water evaperates, we put out new fish.

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

they normally have ick too, i dont know about betta but a few of my friends had fish that killed all their others because their fish had ick

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

I will have him check this thread out.

How horrible that Wal mart just doesn't care. Heck they water the plants don't they? I don't think the walmart near me ever has bettas. Which is a good thing because I would have gotten myself in trouble.

I guess I was lucky with my betta fish he lived for some time with us. He lasted longer than the other bettas in the family. I think they cleaned the bowls with antibacteria soap though. Poor bettas.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
I will have him check this thread out.

How horrible that Wal mart just doesn't care. Heck they water the plants don't they? I don't think the walmart near me ever has bettas. Which is a good thing because I would have gotten myself in trouble.

I guess I was lucky with my betta fish he lived for some time with us. He lasted longer than the other bettas in the family. I think they cleaned the bowls with antibacteria soap though. Poor bettas.
Yeah, many Wal Marts suck but it actually depends on the store. Our Wal Mart takes much better care of their fish then our PetsMart . PetsMart sucks...they sell vases for bettas, anyway.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:55 AM

HI All, I am the person which prompted KathyDip to start this thread.

She got most of the details down however here is the complete story:

I had read through betta care on a variety of sites before purchase, and asked the fish people at the local pet store where I purchased everything. (not pet smart or wal mart)

I got a 2.5 gallon tank which came w. a small submerged filter. I made sure the filter was on the slowest setting. I used water conditioner and put in the new betta--who appeared healthier than others before the purchase. I had asked about cycling and waiting to add the fish, but was instructed that the conditioner would be fine for this type of fish. I tested the water for ph and nitrates, both were perfect, temp was 78degrees.

After 24 hours the fish seemed adjusted and fine.

The next day I brought home 3 small aquatic plants, 1 snail, and 10 ghost shrimp. (all based upon my reading). I tested the water for ph and nitrates, both were perfect, temp was 80 degrees.

Within an hour or two half of the ghost shrimp tried jumping out.
Within 12 hours the rest had jumped out (the tank did have a lid, but had a small opening in the back) or were dead inside. Only one or two remained alive. The fish had died. I tested the water for ph and nitrates, both were perfect, temp was 80 degrees.

I went to a Pet Smart and asked and they said maybe the plants + the small filter was too much?? oxygen poisoning? --I didn't know this was possible. I removed the filter.

2 days later
I purchased a new betta, named him Max, and added him.
Snail + one ghost shrimp still alive, with same 3 plants.

One week later Max is master of his domain. when I shut off the room lights at night before shutting off his tank light, he puffs up and becomes tough guy for the fish in his reflection.

I did a partial water change after 1 week. 2 days later I noticed crazy amounts of bacteria/microorganisms (looking like particles, but moving) everywhere in the tank, especially on the plants. Within 12hrs of noticing I did a complete water change and rinsed gravel and plants as well. Tank clean, Max still happy. I believe he must've ate the last ghost shrimp as it's nowhere to be found.
He totally gets along with his roommate Gilbert the aquatic snail however.

Does anyone have any insight on either the possible cause of death of the first fish, or reason for the microorganisms after the 1st partial water change. (I guess it's possible the first fish was just sick?)
-marc
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcwakefield
HI All, I am the person which prompted KathyDip to start this thread.

She got most of the details down however here is the complete story:

I had read through betta care on a variety of sites before purchase, and asked the fish people at the local pet store where I purchased everything. (not pet smart or wal mart)

I got a 2.5 gallon tank which came w. a small submerged filter. I made sure the filter was on the slowest setting. I used water conditioner and put in the new betta--who appeared healthier than others before the purchase. I had asked about cycling and waiting to add the fish, but was instructed that the conditioner would be fine for this type of fish. I tested the water for ph and nitrates, both were perfect, temp was 78degrees.

After 24 hours the fish seemed adjusted and fine.

The next day I brought home 3 small aquatic plants, 1 snail, and 10 ghost shrimp. (all based upon my reading). I tested the water for ph and nitrates, both were perfect, temp was 80 degrees.

Within an hour or two half of the ghost shrimp tried jumping out.
Within 12 hours the rest had jumped out (the tank did have a lid, but had a small opening in the back) or were dead inside. Only one or two remained alive. The fish had died. I tested the water for ph and nitrates, both were perfect, temp was 80 degrees.

I went to a Pet Smart and asked and they said maybe the plants + the small filter was too much?? oxygen poisoning? --I didn't know this was possible. I removed the filter.

2 days later
I purchased a new betta, named him Max, and added him.
Snail + one ghost shrimp still alive, with same 3 plants.

One week later Max is master of his domain. when I shut off the room lights at night before shutting off his tank light, he puffs up and becomes tough guy for the fish in his reflection.

I did a partial water change after 1 week. 2 days later I noticed crazy amounts of bacteria/microorganisms (looking like particles, but moving) everywhere in the tank, especially on the plants. Within 12hrs of noticing I did a complete water change and rinsed gravel and plants as well. Tank clean, Max still happy. I believe he must've ate the last ghost shrimp as it's nowhere to be found.
He totally gets along with his roommate Gilbert the aquatic snail however.

Does anyone have any insight on either the possible cause of death of the first fish, or reason for the microorganisms after the 1st partial water change. (I guess it's possible the first fish was just sick?)
-marc
You said you tested pH and nitrates but in a small tank those are actually the least of your worries. You need to test ammonia since in small tanks you do 100% water changes which normally keeps it down. You should be changing all of the water at least once every other week.

What kind of snail is it? Most snails are extremely messy and will produce enough ammonia to kill fish in such a small tank .

I don't think it would've been too much oxygen. But I do suspect ammonia poisoning. Shrimp are very sensitive to it so they were most likely trying to "escape".

Of course, if there wasn't any ammonia or nitrites then it probably wasn't your fault at all. You may have just gotten a bad fish...it happens sometimes.

The little organisms you mentioned were probably planaria which often appear during ammonia spikes. Or if there is rotting food, high nitrates, etc.

~Stephanie

Tags
betta fish, ghost shrimp, local pet store, pet store