betta fish wont eat please help ASAP - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

betta fish wont eat please help ASAP

I have had this betta for 1 1/2 years. I know thats old for a fish but he wont eat. I have an aquarium that is good size, a filter, light,a treasure chest and fake plant. He wont eat and he is staying towards the bottom of his tank. He hides and wont come out. This is very unusual for him. I am extremely worried that he is about to die. Is there any thing I could do??????
Please any advice no matter how small is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 PM
is a little "special"

Acually, 1 1/2 isnt that old for a betta... Ive had one that lived over 5 years. C:
Exactly how big is your tank?
And, it is normal for bettas to hide at the bottom of the tank alot. Most spend quite a bit of their time sleeping and hiding in the decorations. They only really need to eat a lil bit every 2 or 3 days, so he just might not be hungry.
If your still worried about him, a partial water change usually perks them up quite a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the advice I just cleaned his tank about a week and a half ago. The main reason this worries me is because he is normally a very excited fish always swimming around espically when he sees me and knows its time for food. He is extremely slow. He is laying on his side and that scares me the most. My tank is about a gallon(i think). Any way thanks again for the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i think with a tank that small you need to be doing partial water changes more often than that... i could be wrong though

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:38 PM
is a little "special"

You tank is most likely your problem... Fish should have at least 5 gallons of water to live in.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Im not sure how big it is. But I dont think its a 5 gallon Any way could to much food in the tank like 7 pieces make the water green and kill him?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

4 got to add to my other post....Are guinea pigs or bunnies easier to take care of? (love these smilies)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Your tank is pretty small, so I assume you don't have a heater (since it's almost impossible to safely heat such a small aquarium). Do you have a thermometer? It might be too cold for him, bettas are tropical fish.

Try offering frozen bloodworms and/or brine shimp, those tend to be betta favorites.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

You are right I do not have a heater but I do have a thermometer. Its 75 right now. I cleaned his tank a week ago and its already green. Could that be because there is to much fish food at the bottom? Could that kill him?Im so confused
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
4 got to add to my other post....Are guinea pigs or bunnies easier to take care of? (love these smilies)
www.rabbit.org for house rabbit info. I would compare my rabbit more to a dog than to something small like a hamster or something. They need a lot of attention and vet care for them can get really expensive. I can't speak for g.pigs because I've never had one before.

Good luck with your fish!

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 03:18 PM
is a little "special"

Your tank could be turning green from algae... Is it in direct or partial sunlight?

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

He is not in the sunlight. He has a light instead. I just think its weir that his tank already turned green in only 1 weeeks time. I think its because he has so much food at the bottom he wont eat. Could that kill him??? Should I do another tank cleaning?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:51 PM
is a little "special"

If you tank turns green, then ya.
I bigger tank would help too.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I just dont know if he can handle another cleaning. But if he can it might make him better. (I think)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 PM
is a little "special"

When you clean it, do you drain all to water or only half? Draining all the water is extremly stressful on fish, and if thats how your cleaning it, it could be causing problems for your fish.

Tags
betta fish wont eat