And the Betta Fry Emerge! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aww, congrats on the fry!!! What size tank do Bettas require to be happy? (not the tiny jars I see them in)

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Well, that depends. Everyone has different opinions. Some say anything less than 10 gallons PER Betta is inhumane. Meanwhile, others believe a gallon is what makes them happiest.

I feel that keeping them in less than half a gallon of water for an extended period of time is inhumane. This is JMHO. For short periods of time, small cups or jars are fine. I don't know any breeders who don't keep their 2 month old Betta youngsters in small jars. (It's hard to house 400 Bettas!) But again, it's for short periods of time.

For longer periods of time, I feel that a Betta must have AT LEAST one gallon of water to itself. Any less than one gallon is inhumane, IMO.

2-5 gallons is optimal, IMO, and 10 gallons or more is a Betta Mansion. lol. The reason I feel this way is that in the wild, Betta Splendens live in the rice paddy fields of Asia. They have thousands upon thousands of gallons to themselves, yet they choose small territories. Why? It's easier to protect.

Some Bettas get nervous/anxious in 10 gallon tanks. Others get depressed in anything less than 2 gallons. Bettas are unique individuals, and Betta owners need to form a bond and an understanding with their Bettas in order to keep them happiest.

The misunderstandings with what Bettas need to live come from their hardiness. Because of the Betta's hardiness they CAN survive for extended periods of time in tiny little cups. But, just because they can survive in a tiny little cup that barely allows them to turn around does not mean they will thrive in it. A lot of people don't realize the profound different between "survive" and "thrive."
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

So you wouldn't recommend them in anything bigger then a 10gallon?

Come drop by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I didn't mention 20+ gallon tanks specifically because most people don't want to devote that much space to ONE fish. If someone wanted to keep a Betta in, say, a 55 gallon...that'd be cool. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a bit dazed when he first got in. The only times (typically) that Bettas are kept in tanks bigger than 10 gallons is when it's a community tank, and there are lots of Bettas (females only!) or lots of fish, period, and some female Bettas thrown in as well.

I did mention "10 gallons or more," though.

I feel that folks should get as big of a tank as they can afford and have room for, no matter what the fish may be. Keep in mind that a Betta may feel dazed to be taken from a cup's worth of water to 20+ gallons. And some may not ever feel comfortable there. (I had a female Betta who flat out PANICKED in large tanks. She'd hide in the plants and never come out...not even to eat. So I put her in a gallon bowl and she began to stop hiding. To each his/her own, I say!)

Last edited by Tilt; 08-13-2004 at 11:19 PM.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I see. That makes sense. I was trying to figure out why they couldn't be in larger tanks. Do the females get along with most other types of docile fish? How can you be sure you get a female, other then the sellers word?

Come drop by!

post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Some Bettas get nervous/anxious in 10 gallon tanks. Others get depressed in anything less than 2 gallons. Bettas are unique individuals, and Betta owners need to form a bond and an understanding with their Bettas in order to keep them happiest.

The misunderstandings with what Bettas need to live come from their hardiness. Because of the Betta's hardiness they CAN survive for extended periods of time in tiny little cups. But, just because they can survive in a tiny little cup that barely allows them to turn around does not mean they will thrive in it. A lot of people don't realize the profound different between "survive" and "thrive."
I totally agree with everything you said Roz. My bettas now share a 10 gallon tank (with a divider in between). One of them seemed happier in his previous 2 gallon tank, while the other one loves room to swim. It totally depends on the fish. I saw a betta at my vet's this morning in one of those lily vase things. I have really disliked those vases since they came out, but this betta was so happy in there! He had the biggest bubble nest. I couldn't believe it. The really small tanks and cups are very cruel IMO. Its so sad what most bettas have to go through.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixx
I see. That makes sense. I was trying to figure out why they couldn't be in larger tanks. Do the females get along with most other types of docile fish? How can you be sure you get a female, other then the sellers word?
Females and males can get along just fine with other docile fish, but males may have problems with things like guppies. Their long tails may confuse a male Betta into thinking the guppy is a rival. Problems will arise then.

Females and males are very obviously different, once past a certain age. At around 2-3 months of age, the males' fins begin to grow significantly longer than their female siblings. Once mature, all males have much longer fins than the females.

I had an interesting thing happen once. I bought a female and brought her home, and proceded to put her next to one of my males. She flared, and slammed against the side of the tank, and tried to get to him to kill him. Meanwhile, he kept looking at her like, "Are you nuts?!" I did a small experiment with this new female. Moved her next to my females and she showed off for them. Next to males, she tried to kill them. I studied her more closely and realized, this was no female. This was a very young male.

Had I paid closer attention, I would have noticed his fins were a tiny bit longer than all of the females in the community tank he came from. However, he even fooled the breeder, that or the pet store. (My LPS claims he came marked as female, but who knows.)

I took HIM back, because I didn't want another male at that time. They put him back in with the females and said they would watch him. He vanished the next day and I have a sinking suspicion they refused to believe my observations, and sold him out as a female again.

So, every now and again you may not get what you were expecting, but as long as the Bettas are above a certain age, it's pretty easy to tell what they are, so you can take the breeder's word on it.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 08:13 PM

thats so exciting~! I remember when I used to breed my betta and wait for the babies to hatch and then cultured microworms and whatnot for them to eat~! they're adorable how many are there~?
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks!!!

Come drop by!

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

O, one more question, how long do Betta's live for?

Come drop by!

post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungmina
thats so exciting~! I remember when I used to breed my betta and wait for the babies to hatch and then cultured microworms and whatnot for them to eat~! they're adorable how many are there~?
Last time I tried to count it looked to be around 50.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixx
O, one more question, how long do Betta's live for?
That depends on a lot of factors, unfortunately. Pet Store Bettas tend to not live very long. Sometimes they're already over a year old by the time they arrive at the pet store. Shipping can be very stressful for them, and they rarely get proper care at the pet store, so their lives are shortened by this.

Also, I have read that if you raise your Betta to grow fast, their lives are a bit shorter. (This would be something the breeder might do. Some like to encourage early, quick growth, which can be bad for the Bettas.)

Bettas live anywhere from 3-5 years. Figure a full grown Pet Store Betta is about a year to two years old by the time you bring him/her home, and you've got another year or two left, usually. If he/she was well cared for before you got him/her and you continue to care for them very well, he/she can be around 'til the ripe old age of 5.

Last edited by Tilt; 08-16-2004 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Typo :)
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 05:11 PM

How 'bout some updated pics of the betta fry!!! We want to try a hand at hatching a nestful someday. I wanna see what they look like!
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 05:22 PM

Congrats on the babies!!!

I heard one betta lived to be nine years old through an experiment. Scientists chased the little guy around his tank everyday for excercise and the conditions he lived in were flawless. But, I would say that only happens in laboratories where they analize and test everything first.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Wheelie,

I don't have access to the pics right now but I promise I'll post some soon. Unfortunately, they're still at the stage where they look like eyeballs. OK, more like tadpoles, but all the same. The pics don't really show much development. I'm not sure why I keep taking pics then, though?

Tags
female betta, female bettas, male betta, pet store