Betta Help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Betta Help

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this wesite. I have some questions if anyone knows anything about Betta. I was given a betta from a friend and I went and bought a 1/2 a gallon bowl for him. Do they like something bigger? Also, I find that the water always gets cold and I am wondering what I can do to make it warmer. I just want to give him the best possible life and want to know what would make him feel better. Does anyone know anything? Thanks to everyone

Lauren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 04:10 PM

Welcome to PT!
www.bettatalk.com is a great site and has helped me many a time.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A betta needs ideally at least 3 gallon to himself but they can adapt to smaller homes and although they are tropical fish they can withstand cooler water. In a tank the size you have theres no way you can have an heater as you would fry him alive. Bettas like somewhere to hide too and like plants so they can build bubble nests at the surface which is really sweet. The tank also needs to be filtered as they like good quality water but nothing too strong as it will upset him. And check the bettatalk website out as lots of good info on there and helped me loads too when i was starting out

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
A betta needs ideally at least 3 gallon to himself but they can adapt to smaller homes and although they are tropical fish they can withstand cooler water. In a tank the size you have theres no way you can have an heater as you would fry him alive. Bettas like somewhere to hide too and like plants so they can build bubble nests at the surface which is really sweet. The tank also needs to be filtered as they like good quality water but nothing too strong as it will upset him. And check the bettatalk website out as lots of good info on there and helped me loads too when i was starting out
I agree with everyone else! And bettatalk.com has all the info you need to get started.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys for all the input. Ummm, if I get a 3 gallon tank how will I heat it then? Or will I even need to?I always give my betta bottled water especially for bettas. I will be sure to get him something bigger. I was just told that they like to live in smaller areas cause they come from rice ponds and they are smaller ponds that they live in. Thanks
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

To heat a 3 gallon you would need a really small wattage heater but nothing thats gonna get too warm.Your betta will be ok in the bowl as i have seen them kept in jars and they survived but ideally he would be better off in a little bit bigger tank, also do you keep a lid on the bowl as they can jump and are mean escape artists?

Kirsty

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 07:16 PM

I've heard that it isn't safe to have a heater in anything less than 10 gallons. You can heat the tank a little by getting an incandescent light. It warms the water a few degrees. The 2.5 gallon mini-bow that I pmed you about comes with one.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A 25w heater is suitable for tanks of 3-5 gallon for anything smaller its advised you use heat pads underneath like you would use for reptiles. I have a 5 gallon and i use a heater successfully with no problems at all

Kirsty

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 09:38 PM

Actually, heaters are not good for small tanks, they may be safe usually, but sometimes it's just not enough water. I, myself, have a 2.5 gallon tank for my betta and I have the light, built into the lid of the tank, on all day. This provides enough heat to keep it around 78 to 80 degrees daily.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It also depends where in the world you are too as a 5 gallon UK size is different to an american 5 gallon, I'm a active member of loads of fishie forums too and before i got my betta i asked loads of questions and people who had been keeping bettas for over 20 years said it was perfectly safe to have a very small wattage heater in a small tank as long as it was over 3 gallon (UK size) and the water levels are kept an eye on. It also depends on where you live in the world depends on tank temperature as well and also whether you live in a centrally heated house and where the tank is positioned as my coldwater tank stays at around 78 degrees all year round and the water always feels tepid to the touch as its kept in my bedroom which is very warm but my betta is kept in the kitchen where the doors are opened frequently so i need a heater in his tank to keep him at a constant temperature so not to stress him out and make him ill and he's doing perfectly fine!

But everyones different, i'm just going on my own experience and the experience of people i have met along the way who have helped me enormously and from whom i have learnt so much

Kirsty

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 10:50 AM

What's the difference between the two gallons?

And also, over here most smaller aquariums are acrylic, no glass, and that would melt if the heater touched it.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

But the person who asked the question never said where they was from so we can only say from our own experience?! And trust me US tanks and UK tanks vary in size, a 10 gallon US tank would be a 12 gallon in the UK. Also if you read my first post i state in a smaller aquarium a heater is not necessarily needed as i never used to have one for my betta till i moved his tank, it all depends where the tank is situated! When it comes to buying a tank the best thing to do if you are armed with information is to ask at your local fish store as they will know what suits your chosen tank the best!

Kirsty

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 11:39 AM

Yep! We can agree on that!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kirsty

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Sounds like you've gotten great advice. I was just going to add that I have heaters in my 5.5g's and have had no problems with them over-heating. They are a glass tank, not plastic.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
bigger tank, local fish store, tropical fish