Betta with ick - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Betta with ick

My boyfriends neice has a betta that got ick I am treating it already but I was wondering how long it takes to treat ick pluse I wanted to see if anyone thinks he'll make it. His whole body is covered and he's lost alot of color plus I think he may have a tumor his behind is kind bubbled out a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

There is a good chance he'll make it if it was caught early.

First of all, raise the temperature to the 80's and add aquarium salt to the water. Believe it or not that's the best treatment for ich.

If you are using medication follow the directions exactly, remove any activated carbon from the filter, and treat for at least a week. Even after he looks 100% better continue treatment for the next three days.

Keep the water clean with lots of small water changes (vacuum the gravel too). You may also want to test the nitrates to make sure they aren't too high.

As for the possible tumor that's probably not what it is. Most likely he's constipated which is very common in bettas. Fast him for a couple of days and if that doesn't help feed him a piece of a cooked and skinned pea. What is he being fed? Flakes aren't the best for bettas and tend to cause issues. Pellets are usually better but you may want to soak them in water before feeding to help prevent constipation in the future.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

she feeds him pellets. i'll fast him. thanks so much for your help.

1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey
she feeds him pellets. i'll fast him. thanks so much for your help.
No problem and good luck . Normally raised temperatures and aquarium salt is all that's needed to treat ich.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

ok he seem to be doing alot better he has more color and swimming around now.

1 Cat- Luna
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Awesome .

~Stephanie

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

How's he doing? I hope you had as much luck as I did with my gold fish. I listened to Sasami and mine all made it.
BTW mine had those bumps that looked pus filled on their sides and one had them on his head. The bumbs are all gone but there is still some discoloration of the one that had the bump on his head. Although he lost a lot of orange on his sides over the winter too.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

he's dooing great almost all of his color is back. He still has ick but no where close to what it was like. I'm glad your fish made it and thank you sasami

1 Cat- Luna
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yay, that's great! No problem .

Just keep up with the treatments even after he looks better since it could come back.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

I will

1 Cat- Luna
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

The betta is losing color again is this ok or not? I am still medicating him.

1 Cat- Luna
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's weird. What is the current temperature in the tank?

~Stephanie

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

I have no clue I don't live there they live down the road from me and my boyfriend. the mom will not go out of her way to make sure the temp is right. I can try to find out the exact temp tommorrow but I'd say it's at about 76 to 80 degrees estimateing.

1 Cat- Luna
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 01:31 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is the tank heated with an actual aquarium heater? If not then it will probably get too cold at night when the lights are off.

What color is he? If he's a marble it's possible his coloring is changing naturally. Or he might just be a bit stressed out from the treatments. Is he still active and eating?

~Stephanie

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

he's blue and red and he is eating and swimming is it safe to clean his tank

1 Cat- Luna

Tags
aquarium salt, gold fish