Betta Info - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 11:52 PM

lol. Good night and sleep tight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 08:34 PM

You dont have to put a live plant in a betta container. I've got 6 bettas, 5 of which are in 1 gal each. The other is in my community tank which is a 55 with 3 discus, 2 german blue rams, 4 kuhli loaches, 10 glowlights..2 neon tetras, 3 otos and some shrimp.
None of my 1 gal bettas have either filtration, heater or live plants. BUT I clean their water every 2 days. Just some gravel and some kind of decoration to keep them from getting bored.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 10:07 PM

Live plants would make 'em happy, though. Their natural habitats are crowded with rice plants. I think they'd appreciate some real plants.

But that is true, it's not absolutely necesary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

I've heard that bettas don't need live plants, but I'm a big plant person, so I would definetely get a live plant. I also want to get a heater because I don't want my betta getting cold, cuz my house does have air conditioning. Although, I have nothing against people that don't have heaters or live plants. As long as the animal is happy, rock on!
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
I've heard that bettas don't need live plants, but I'm a big plant person, so I would definetely get a live plant. I also want to get a heater because I don't want my betta getting cold, cuz my house does have air conditioning. Although, I have nothing against people that don't have heaters or live plants. As long as the animal is happy, rock on!
Well said
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

I still haven't decided on what plant to get...grrrh...too many choices here!!
Anyone have any suggestions?
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:12 AM

Well if your set on a plant I would do java fern cause its really hardy. My 55 and my 20 are both planted tanks. If your going to put plants with your betta, I would do at least a 5 gallon tank so you can put some good lighting. The plants need fertilizers and good lighting to grow or even maintain. Java fern is the only one I can think of that would be really hardy for just a small betta container.. but its still going to need the right lighting and fertilizers.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Oh, that;s interesting. I've never really thought of that, but it makes sense. I've heard some mention of a goldfish orb (?) A lot of sites say to use that. I should ask the pet store people, they actually know quite a lot where I go!
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:30 AM

Well thats why I replied the way I did the first time. Its more trouble than it seems to me. When I clean my betta tanks I dont go by the 10\20% at a time. I clean the whole thing because there is no bio filter because theres no filtration at all. Its not hurting the fish its better for them this way.. but its too stressful for a plant because its being uprooted everytime. Thats why I'd say get a bigger tank for live plants.

Be careful talking to an LFS because a lot of times they will just tell you something to get you to buy.. when the information is not actually completely true. I'm not saying the place you go to is one of these.. but research what they tell you before buying. Most of the time they just dont even care. Its really hard to find a good lfs.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:32 AM

You know.. even one of those little minibows they sell at walmart.. it comes with the filter\heater\lighting.. and its only 20 bucks. Its small.. that would be really good. It sounds like your looking for something small... They come in a pretty blue and green too. Good tanks. I think they are only 2 gallons. Maybe a little more.. i forget. I can see if I can find a link for you if you want.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! That would be great! I've had my eye on a blue tank at PetSmart that's 2.5 gallons and it's $28. But I would defientely look at some options that are cheaper, cuz my parents aren't going to buy the supplies for me this time! I spend too much.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:46 AM

If your trying to save money, you can get a 10 gallon tank at Petco for $10. The only downside is you have to buy a light and filter for it. I think I have the 2.5 mini-bow that you were thinking about. Its a good tank and a very good deal price-wise because it comes with a lot of stuff. IMO though its a little too small. But I know the majority of people keep their bettas in small tanks, and there's definitely nothing wrong with that! I've just seen how happy my betta is in a 10 gallon tank. He loves all the room and swims non-stop. The biggest tank you can get is always healthier for the fish too because the water is chemistry and temp is easier to control. I can't wait to hear about your new fishy. Let us know when you get your tank set up!
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Now you've got me thinking about another tank! Great! More choices to make! Just kidding, I look forward to making those choices, an aquarium would be fun. I don't think I have room for the aquarium you're talking about, I kept my pet mouse in there when she was alive. Yea, you have to get a lot of stuff for it, so maybe I should get the three gallon tank for $45? It comes with a lot of stuff too and it's pretty. Here I go again...
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Here are some tanks I'm thinking of getting. I mean, i'm getting only one, but there are many options. Can't think straight this late at night...

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1088745083168

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1088745083171

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1088745083190

Sorry for taking up so much room. I still like the first one better, and guess what I realized, it comes in a 5 gallon size!
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to bed now for a long good night's sleep! Good-night everyone and my future betta. Good Night!

Tags
bigger tank, blood worms, brine shrimp, fin rot, fish food, neon tetras, pet store, pet stores, tropical fish, white spots