Betta may be with eggs. Need help. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Betta may be with eggs. Need help.

I have a female and male Betta in a 2.5 gallon tank with a divider.
My female bloated up I think with eggs. Will she release them on her own or do I need to put them together so he can squeeze them out. Or will she desolve them inside her self.

Should I get them into seperate tanks later and not house together with a divider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

She'll just absorb them, I wouldn't recommend breeding your fish. Unless she rejects food and/or is lethargic then don't worry.

Having them in separate tanks would be a good idea, especially since they'll have more room. Half of a 2.5 gallon is 1.25 gallons which is too small. I would buy another tank of the same size or larger . Some bettas get really stressed out being able to see each other all the time so if you continue to use a divider then make sure it's not see-through.

Also, is this tank the Mini-Bow 2.5? The divider that comes with that tank is notorious for bending. When that happens the fish can get past it and, well, I'm sure you can guess what happens next . So if that's the tank you have then you'll either want to make a more sturdy divider (I don't have any personal experience doing so) or buy another aquarium.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

yes mini bow

But I have had no issues with bending of the divider.
Maybe I will jsut put the other female in my large tank with the other female and leave him in the 2.5 with out the divider.

I'll need to make the change gradual and put her in a fish bag and float her adding the new water a little at a time.
I'm so mad, I spend hours searching for a tank with a divider that was at least 2 gallons so I could have them side by side at my desk and now this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

I have my betta fish in a 10 gallon with a divider down the middle, I made sure it's not see through and it hasn't been a problem.

Is it normal for them to absorb the eggs? Because when my female was younger, she use to actually lay the eggs pretty often. They wouldn't be fertile of course so I use to just clean them out. She doesn't do it anymore, but I think now it's probably because she's to old and just doesn't make eggs anymore. I use to have a roommate who had two female bettas as well, both in seperate tanks, and they both use to lay eggs as well, so I thought it was normal when my female did it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmom View Post
But I have had no issues with bending of the divider.
Maybe I will jsut put the other female in my large tank with the other female and leave him in the 2.5 with out the divider.

I'll need to make the change gradual and put her in a fish bag and float her adding the new water a little at a time.
I'm so mad, I spend hours searching for a tank with a divider that was at least 2 gallons so I could have them side by side at my desk and now this.
It's not something instant, it tends to bend over time. A lot of the people I talked to who had the problem didn't have the divider bend for several months. In general I don't think it's a good idea to divide a tank under five gallons...they just haven't come out with good dividers that small yet. After all, desktop tanks tend to only have room for one fish in the first place.

How big is your other tank? Female bettas can get along but you need a lot of hiding spots. You might want to actually consider buying a third female since having a pair doesn't usually go well. One ends up dominant and constantly bullies the other. This doesn't always happen, though, so you could just keep close watch for now . Plants always help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
I have my betta fish in a 10 gallon with a divider down the middle, I made sure it's not see through and it hasn't been a problem.

Is it normal for them to absorb the eggs? Because when my female was younger, she use to actually lay the eggs pretty often. They wouldn't be fertile of course so I use to just clean them out. She doesn't do it anymore, but I think now it's probably because she's to old and just doesn't make eggs anymore. I use to have a roommate who had two female bettas as well, both in seperate tanks, and they both use to lay eggs as well, so I thought it was normal when my female did it?
Usually they just absorb them but of course it's possible to lay them . It's just not as common. I don't have as much experience with female bettas, though...most of mine were males.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

It's not dropsy!

It's not dropsy. She looks better this morning.
She must have droped the eggs last night or started absorbing them or had a bad casue of gas. LOL
She looks fine now.
She is more active and looking for food.
I just feed her and she is eating.
I'm no longer worried.

My other tank is a 38 gal and have commnunity fish. The one female betta is dong great with the others. Plenty of places to hide but she never does.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmom View Post
It's not dropsy. She looks better this morning.
She must have droped the eggs last night or started absorbing them or had a bad casue of gas. LOL
She looks fine now.
She is more active and looking for food.
I just feed her and she is eating.
I'm no longer worried.

My other tank is a 38 gal and have commnunity fish. The one female betta is dong great with the others. Plenty of places to hide but she never does.
That's great to hear .

~Stephanie

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 PM

My female Betta is also bloated with eggs. How long does it take for them to absorb the eggs???
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGirl View Post
My female Betta is also bloated with eggs. How long does it take for them to absorb the eggs???
Hmm, I think it depends on the fish. How long has your female been bloated and are you sure it's from eggs? Fish can be bloated for other reasons, a common one being over-feeding.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 08:43 AM

She has been lethargic for a week now. I am losing hope that it is only eggs. Not sure what to do. I do partial water changes daily. She does have that white dot thing under her belly.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
She has been lethargic for a week now. I am losing hope that it is only eggs. Not sure what to do. I do partial water changes daily. She does have that white dot thing under her belly.
Is she eating and have you tested your aquarium parameters (if so, what were they?)?

I wouldn't give up hope yet.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:48 PM

She isn't eating and I do a partial water change every day. Do I still need to test the water? She moves around the bottom (I took out her plant) and comes up for air occasionally but then its right back down. She used to always swim around.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
She isn't eating and I do a partial water change every day. Do I still need to test the water? She moves around the bottom (I took out her plant) and comes up for air occasionally but then its right back down. She used to always swim around.
Yup, you should still test the water to see what's going on.

What size is the aquarium? I would actually leave the plant in because she can rest on it and get air easier...unless it's a short plant in which case it won't help.

Does the tank have a heater? What is she normally fed? Have you noticed any pineconing of the scales?

The problem with bloating is that it can be caused by a ton of different things.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 AM

I tested the water last night and decided it needed a complete water change which I did. I put her back in and only left the acquarium 1/2 full of water to make it easier for her to get to the top as she was having difficulty. Her scales do not appear to be raised (pineconing). I do have have a heater for the 5 gal acquarium but I couldn't use it last night because of the water level. I put her aquarium next to the heater and it is remaining at 80 degrees! YEA! She still hasn't eaten and is bloated.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What have you tried feeding her? When I really, really need a fish to eat I usually try frozen and live foods to entice them .

I would keep up the water changes and testing, hopefully she improves on her own. If she doesn't then it might be an infection that'll require a salt dip and/or meds.

~Stephanie

Tags
betta fish, female betta, female bettas, lay eggs, male betta