Betta not eating. :-( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Betta not eating. :-(

I am a pretty expierienced betta owner, but I am puzzled...

I just got a new betta, a couple days ago. He is a gorgeous bright red male, beautiful long fins. No ick, no fin rot. He is a Wal-Mart rescue. I feel so sorry for them there, and he looked so healthy, beautiful and spunky that I got him.

So here is my problem, he wont eat to save his life. I know wal-mart hasnt been feeding them anything like live shrimp or mosquito larvae, that would make him picky. he wont eat anything. I have 3 different types of betta food, he wont eat any of them. I also have freeze dried bloodworms, he wont eat them either. He'll put them in his mouth sometimes, and spit it back out.

I dont get it. His water was a bit cold, so i have put him in a warmer spot, and now its up to 78ish, which is good. his water is clear.

i have 2 ghost shrimp in with him, maybe he doesnt want to eat around the ghost shrimp?? i have no clue.

Anyone know why he may not be eating, or what i can do to get him to do so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 11:43 PM

I would give him a little while. I bought a new one (#7 for me) recently too and it took a week before he got acclimated enough to start eating. This poor guy came into the store (I was there when she got the shipment... owner is a good friend of mine) with popeye and his fins were all messed up. She treated him for the popeye and I bought him (hes a crowntail) He had a rough time. He refused betta biogold, flakes, bloodworms, cichlid granules.. everything I have tried. But just a few days ago hes started taking everything I offer him. He just needs some time. I have never known a betta to starve itself.

By the way... he will probably eat your ghost shrimp. I've done ghost shrimp in with my bettas MANY times... and they always eat them within 2 weeks. lol
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

I've tried Betta Bio-Gold, Wardley Betta Food, Tetramin Tropical Granules for Bettas, and Bloodworms. He wont eat any.

I'll give him more time, and put the shrimp in the goldfish tank. :-)

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 11:59 PM

Try a bit of thawed out frozen pea. Sometimes that will tempt their appetite, strangely enough, and will help prevent constipation and perhaps even swim bladder problems. (Since food seems to be linked often times.) It's good to feed them a bit of pea once a week.

My newest male refused to eat for about aw eek as well. He's eating fine now. Although I DID lose a new female to starvation. I tried many things but she refused to eat. And I tried some meds but they didn't help any either.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 12:06 AM

Sometimes they get depressed and won't eat. Try putting a mirror in front of him. Does he flare when he sees his reflection? Sometimes seeing themselves or another betta perks them up. He'll probably eat when he settles into his new surroundings. If you notice any other signs (sluggishness or looking ill) he might have a bacterial infection, especially since Wal-mart doesn't take very good care of them! My bettas are both picky eaters. They won't eat anything except betta biogold and betta bites. Good luck and keep us posted!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

I took the ghost shrimp out and put them in with the goldfish...

As for the frozen pea thing... just plop and partially frozen pea in the water and see what he does? If he does begin eating, is a frozen pea good for them every once in awhile?

He is pretty active, he swims around all day long. Back and forth constantly. I have him in one of those 1 gal triangular tanks from Wal-Mart, so they cause a reflection in the glass, he flares his fins up at himself all the time.

My other betta I had.. he was the greatest, he would get so mad at himself that he would dive to the bottom of the tank and bury himself under the rocks, it was hilarious. Sadly I lost him and my other betta when it got too cold in my room while I was away, and there water got too cold.
But like I said, he is very active, swims all the time, I very rarely notice him sitting still. Could he be nervous? Do fish get nervous?

I hope he lives, I gave him a neat name and everything. His name is Kpacho, it means Red, in Russian. I pronounce it "KA-PA-CHO" I dont know if thats right thouh. hahahaha.

Here's a picture of him

Still looking for anyone elses thoughts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish 009.jpg (52.1 KB, 18 views)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 12:18 AM

Take a frozen pea and thaw it out (I usually soak it for a while in hot water. Works well.) Then slice/cut it up into small pieces that will fit into his mouth (you can use his pellet food as a size example.) He probably won't need more than a piece or two at a time. Though it may take him a bit to catch one piece, since the pea bits will often sink and some Bettas take a moment or two to figure out to chase the sinking bits of pea.

Thawed out frozen peas are good for Bettas since they help prevent constipation and possibly also swim bladder problems. A couple of pieces of pea once a week can really help.

He's really handsome, btw.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. :-) I love the bright red. I had a red betta before but he died of Ick before I could get it treated. So I wanted to try for red again.

If he doesn't eat the pea, should I keep trying every day until he goes for it?

I know bettas dont like alot of action in their water, could the bubbles from the undergravel filter be bothering him?

To think, all this over a fish. I'm so sentimental. HAHA. I bawled my eyes out when my Mr.Spiffy (my other betta) died.

I hope this guy comes around.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 12:35 AM

Wow, he's gorgeous!

I know that my bettas are extremely picky about their filters. I went through quite a few of them before they were happy. I use the smallest Whisper filter that hangs on the back of the tank. Its quiet and doesn't stir up the water too much. There is also a submersible filter that resembles the kind that hang on the back. I have a couple of those and I think they are made by Whisper too. I'm not sure if your filter is the problem but you could try a different one if he doesn't start eating.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

SUCESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WEE! So far he has eaten three little pieces of pea.

How much is too much pea to be giving him? I'm gonna try a couple more pieces.

How weird to think, because I absolutely HATE peas.

THANK YOU!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Okay, he ate probably 10 little bio gold size pieces of pea.

How long until his appetite for regular food comes back? What happens if I can never get him to eat anything but peas?

I tried to trick the little bugger. I smushed up some bio gold into a powder and mashed it in with the pea. He spit most of it out, but he ate some, maybe that will give him a taste of it.

Thats what puzzles me, he tries everything i put in there, and just spits it back out. He seems more interested in stuff that sinks to the bottom, rather than stuff that floats.

More opinions needed!

At least I know he isnt gonna starve, for now anyway.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 01:50 AM

Yay! I'm glad he's eating. Go Roz! Great idea.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 05:11 AM

Woo! Glad it worked! *happy bounce*

I think he will probably start accepting other foods soon. I mean, you've proven he will eat now. He likes peas. That's something! He's not going to starve or anything. Yay!

I don't think a diet of all peas will hurt him. If this is what he chooses to eat, it must be fine for him. Although I'm surprised he liked the peas so much. Bettas are supposed to be "meat eaters," eating insect larvae and mosquitos, things like that. I think because it's in his nature to eat "meat" he will eventually start accepting either pellets, or your worm treats. Something like that. For now I would give him a few pieces of pea a day if that's all he'll eat.

I'm going to laugh so hard if it turns out you have the first vegetarian Betta.

If he has a preference to sinking foods, maybe check the fishy market for fish foods that sink? It's odd for a Betta to not like the floating foods. Their mouths are up on top, as I'm sure you've noticed. They're built like that to eat from the surface of the water, and to breathe in air from the surface as well. Naturally he should want to eat floating stuff. But maybe he likes the "chase" a sinking food presents. He may be one of the pickier sort that likes live foods.

IF he really will not eat anything besides peas, you can consider starting raising live brine shrimp or something, and try giving him living brine shrimp. Most Bettas can't resist that and once they get a taste for live food will not accept anything dead. So if you decide to try that, be warned, he may never accept pellets or frozen/dead foods again.

He may really love the chase the sinking pea gives him. lol. What a cutie...
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 11:19 AM

About the pea (I feed mine peas a few times a week as well) make sure you take the casings off first because they cant digest the pea casings. All I do is thaw it, take the casing off which normally splits the pea in half anyways and I just plop a half in. Its definitely enough for them!!!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 03:47 PM

AmberC, thanks for mentioning that. I forgot.

Tags
brine shrimp, female betta, female bettas, fin rot, fish food, fish tank, ghost shrimp, male betta