betta not eating - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

betta not eating

Hey all,
I have had quite a few fish in my life, but not many bettas (usually cichlids and the like), and I just went to a wedding the other day where they had bettas on the all the reception tables in vases too small for a dozen roses, giving them to the people who came. I adopted one, and immediately moved it into a one and a half gallon tank. The temp is about 76 degrees in the water, unheated. (I know heating is better, but 76 seems to be just a couple degrees shy of optimal.)

Anyway, I got him transferred into his new mansion yesterday afternoon. However, he won't eat. I've dropped some betta food or freeze dried bloodworms in there, he will pick at one then spit it out. I tried the frozen pea trick I read about in another thread on here, no luck.

Is it just the shock of (my guess is he was a mail order fish by the wedding planners) and transferring from one container to another to another in such a short period? He seems healthy, but he's also very lethargic. Doesn't move much at all. I have pictures, but can't post links here yet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yes, it's most likely just the shock. Give him a few days (or even a few weeks) and he'll probably start eating. May I ask what brand of food you've been feeding? Some bettas are kind of picky and I'd recommend trying Hikari Betta Bio-Gold and/or HBH Betta Bites--I've found those to be rather popular among my bettas. They, would not, however, touch Wardley brand foods.

Another idea is to try frozen foods. They should sell a bunch of different kinds at your local pet store--bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill, mysis shrimp, etc. You just thaw them out in warm water and feed. Not only are they pretty healthy, but fish tend to love frozen foods more than commercial stuff.

Good luck with him, I'm glad at least one of the fish was saved. Having the bettas as centerpieces was an awful idea.

Also, welcome to Paw-Talk!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the input. I took one and my girlfriend took one, and hers is eating like it's been starved (which it probably has.) I just ran to Wal mart the other night to get something because it was late, and I got the Betta Blend in a yellow container, I don't remember exactly because she took it with her, then I got the Tetra brand blood worms (which he actually just ate 4 or 5 of, just wants to make me look like an idiot i guess. lol.) I realize blood worms are about as nutritious as a potato chip, don't worry i'll find something better for him. I'll drop by my pet store tomorrow and grab some Hikari... I used to feed that to my Oscars they loved it. Thanks! --Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

No problem, I'm glad to hear he's eating!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.