Betta:Not Eating. Stays at Bottom. Doesn't Flare. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Betta:Not Eating. Stays at Bottom. Doesn't Flare.

ok, so ill give you some background so you can help me figure this out. please and thanks.

*i brought him home from petco.

*he is a crowntail betta.

*i had him in a 1 gal. triangle tank. no filter.
-he started acting lethargic, always hanging towards the bottom, didn't make bubblenests anymore-

[he got ick, so we treated him, and all better,outside]

*my boyfriend bought him a 1.5 gallon square aquariam with a whisper filter, and a mini heater. he seemed to like it, he would sit and play with his new unusual current, and go down to the bottom to sleep.

*his water stays at about 78-80 all the time.
*his tank is clean.

* i took his filter out for a few days, figuring that must be it, having been used to living without one, he did one lap around the tank, and back down to hiding.

*feeding time, he comes up to the top, almost excited, takes a nipple, spits it out, and goes back to hiding.

he's been like this for 4 days.
i've had him for 3-4 months.

*i read on another discussion to try little pieces of frozen pea. he nibbled, and went back down to his hiding spot, on the ground behind his plant.
*i just put his filter back in today, having that with or without made no difference and it keeps it cleaner.

i dont want to lose him. anyone have any suggestions?

-kayleen- <3
Tigger Jersey Komet Pickle [my kitties]
Kaida
[crowntail betta]
Temperance [bearded dragon]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- click to help me grow! :]

Last edited by Sasami; 10-03-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Caps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Guarded by Waffles

filters do help because it gives air in the water. Please don't yell when you post

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i wasn't yelling. just wanted to catch people's eye.

-kayleen- <3
Kaida
[crowntail betta]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Guarded by Waffles

when you have all caps, that's yelling

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

sorry. ill edit that out.

-kayleen- <3
Kaida
[crowntail betta]

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

okay. so i just put his old aquarium tank lid, on the sid of his new tank, you know, because his new one has l.e.d lights, instead of the regular heat lightbulb he used to have. he was up and swimming around. like "yay" and now he's back down on the ground, with his whole body rested and bent around his plant. im so worried. help.

-kayleen- <3
Kaida
[crowntail betta]

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Betta Bomb

when my betta got sick i put him in a net rested on the top of the tank so there was easy access to breathe and eat..maybe he's just old? i know you only had him for a few months but coming from a pet store where usually fish are mass bred and shipped in naughty ways to facilitate demand so anything could be wrong with him...i hope he's ok.maybe to kick up his energy plant a mirror or another betta near him to compete for a little bit? but not long enugh to stress him out?? i no fish expert i just telling you what i did for my old betta-good luck!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well. He's not full of spunk like he used to be, but i turned off his new L.E.D lights, and hooked up his old aquarium lid to the side of his aquarium - he loves it. he swims all around, showing off, and saw me take out my camera, and he doesnt really like his pic taken, so he was darting away, but he seems to be doing better, after letting him be all excited for a while, i managed to feed him one betta pellet, and he didnt spit it out! yayyy. lets hope this stays now. his happiness and healthiness. thanks for the advice, ill keep it in mind in case he doesnt get better. love to all.

-kayleen- <3
Kaida
[crowntail betta]

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i just put pics of him in my picture album if anyone wants to go look.

-kayleen- <3
Kaida
[crowntail betta]

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you're worried, I would get a sample of your water tested at PetCo . They'll do it for free and can help you figure out if anything's wrong.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 03:08 PM
is a little "special"

You should probably get a bigger tank than a 1.5 gallon... Those things are incredibly hard to maintain! My betta has his own 10 gallon and is very happy and active. C:
Be carful with your filter too. Bettas arent very strong swimmers and get causht in them pretty easily. I ended up taking my filters out. (theres a reason my betta has such short fins!)

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
You should probably get a bigger tank than a 1.5 gallon... Those things are incredibly hard to maintain! My betta has his own 10 gallon and is very happy and active. C:
Be carful with your filter too. Bettas arent very strong swimmers and get causht in them pretty easily. I ended up taking my filters out. (theres a reason my betta has such short fins!)
I agree, a bigger tank could help, i have mine in a 10 gal with friends, and another in a smaller tank with out any friends but a snail.

My betta has such short fins from a crawdad i took the crawdad out immediately into a different tank but he never got his big long fins back

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 05:44 PM
is a little "special"

*Quick off-topicness*
Just wondering Kendalle, what other fish do you have with your betta? I cant seem to find anything compatible with mine (exept snails) because of my lack of a filter. :/

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."