Betta With Other Fish? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Betta With Other Fish?

We have a 29-gallon with 2 albino catfish, 2 gourami's, 2 sharks that look like catfish, and 4 small tetras... I held the Betta's tank up to the main one and he didn't even seem to notice the others swimming by. So I put him up to a mirror - the gills right behind his head flared out and he swam so fast the OTHER way... so do you think he'd get along in the big tank? He seems so lonely.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

When I had a fish tank, we had bettas in with other fish. You just can't put males with males. Also if he's still in the little bowl like at the pet store, he might stay in a corner and not move for a few days. It's because the water current is too strong in a fish tank (that's why even though bettas can survive in those little bowls, I hate it)

*Missy*
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:03 PM

I recently added a betta to my tank. The first few days he was, like pinkie said, staying right in the corner where the filter is, looking kinda scared. Now he swims the whole than and gets along pretty well with all the other fish. I have 4 kuhli loachea, 2 catfish, 2 corys, a snail, 4 neons, 1 rummy nose, 1 scissord tail razbora, 1 harlequin razbora and 1 black widow tetra with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Ok, cool, I think I'll try it then!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 09:18 PM

wow I didn't think anyone would do that...I have wondered whether they would fight or not. I'm glad to hear that some people have tried it and it's worked out. Let us know how it goes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Good luck!

It will probably be ok, but what kind of tetras do you have? Some have been known to be a bit nippy with bettas and sometimes the ones that swim really fast stress bettas out.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My only worry would be the Gouramis as sometimes problems arise between them and Bettas with them being simular fish. If the tank is big enough and there is enough space for them to get away from each other and places to hide then it could work, you would just have to see how it goes and at the first sign of trouble remove the Betta. I keep my Betta in with rummy nosed tetras, cherry barbs (very peaceful unlike their bigger relatives) and some albino cories and they all get along fine, the Betta rules the roost in there so they can live in mixed community tanks quite happily

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
My only worry would be the Gouramis as sometimes problems arise between them and Bettas with them being simular fish. If the tank is big enough and there is enough space for them to get away from each other and places to hide then it could work, you would just have to see how it goes and at the first sign of trouble remove the Betta. I keep my Betta in with rummy nosed tetras, cherry barbs (very peaceful unlike their bigger relatives) and some albino cories and they all get along fine, the Betta rules the roost in there so they can live in mixed community tanks quite happily
I agree with that.

I didn't notice you wrote about having Gouramis...be very careful. I think there's a good chance it'll work out but please moniter them closely .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 06:12 PM

I kept a male betta (rescued from Walmart) with four large veil-tailed goldfish. At first the betta was a little nervous, but in no time at all he was King of the Aquarium. He used to herd all the goldfish into a corner and keep them there with collar-flares and various scary fin-twitches until he felt like letting them go.

I was worried about fin damage, what with all those fancy fins floating around, but it never happened.

I'd give it a try and monitor the situation. I can tell you that my betta was much, much happier and more active when he had company!

Eileen
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingrl19
wow I didn't think anyone would do that...I have wondered whether they would fight or not. I'm glad to hear that some people have tried it and it's worked out. Let us know how it goes.
Bettas only feel threatened by other bettas or fish that look like bettas.

The only other concern is that male Bettas have fancy fins that tend to attract nippy fish. If the fins get nipped on they could become infected.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:13 AM

The only problem I have seen arise (with fish i have had) is with Angel fish and Black Skirt tetraz. The Betta I had with the Angel fish (and a lot of others like guppies and sword tails) is the betta would protect the babies after birth from the larger fish (this was amazing to watch if an adult fish got close to a baby he would bo up at them andthey would leave he only had to chase the angel fish away) The angel fish attacked and killed him. Then when I had one in with Black Skirt tetraz they are fin nippers and started attacking his fins. Thankfully I seen this going on in time and got him out of there. Other then that they all lived togeather beautifuly. A guy I know that has about 65 aquriums says if he has a tank over 30 gallons he puts 2 in and they live fine. I am not about to try that personally.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 07:03 PM

Interesting. Angels were the most aggressive fish I ever had. Definitely fin-nippers. I've never kept them with a betta, though.

Eileen

Tags
cherry barbs, fish tank, male betta, pet store