betta question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

betta question

Iīve had two bettas before but I kept them in 5 gallon tanks. I havenīt had any for a while but am thinking of getting one soon. I have a 20 gallon tank that is empty at the moment and was wondering if bettas really do get anxious if the tank is too big. I only want a betta and a couple of corys. Would they do ok together? and should I think of getting a smaller tank for them instead of using the 20 gallon or would the 20 gallon be ok?

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have a 20 gallon community tank and my betta thrives, he lives with 2 albino corys and rummy nosed tetras and cherry barbs. I think a 20 gallon would look a little empty with just a betta and 2 corys but thats just my personal preference so would probably go for something a little smaller such as a 10 gallon for the smaller number of fish

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you have plenty of plants/hiding places, the betta should do very well .

You might want to get more than two cories, though, as they like to be in schools.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

ok, thanks for your input. ^^ I just donīt want a community tank but the tank is empty so I might just get more cories and the betta with lots of plants. Thanks again.

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Part of the Pack

Bettas do AWESOME in larger tanks! Everyone thinks bettas are happy in those little tiny cups and bowls they come in, because they are told they live like that in the wild. But they don't, they only live like that part of the year otherwise they have lots of room to swim.
I had a betta in a bowl that I got for free and he would flare up at me every time I moved, once he was in my 29 gal tank, he started playing in the current and actually swimming around with the other fish. He never flared up again!

They also like plants with larger leaves so they can rest on them.
If you are getting fake plants, make sure they arent too hard or pokey, it could rip up his fins a bit.
Have fun!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
is a little "special"

My betta always LOVED his big tanks! He was the happiest lil thing when he was in my community tank.
Just make sure the filter current isnt too strong... thats why I had to eventually take mine out- he kept getting caught in the filter.
After that he had his very own 10 gallon for most of his life, and when I didnt have room for that, a 5 1/2 gallon. Personally, Id never ever keep a betta in anything smaller than that!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

If I got a smaller one it would be a 10 gallon but Iīve decided to get more corys and a betta and just put loads of plants and stuff to fill it in. ^^

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"

Tags
betta, tank size