betta setup/ companion(s): suggestions?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Question betta setup/ companion(s): suggestions??

hi I have three bettas.Which are my only fish.Each live alone. A total of one female & two males.There's 1 male completely by himself & the other two are in a mini bow front tank that has a divider seperating the two.All of which was bought at wal-mart & given to me from my dad like, months ago...??
well I have 2 aquariums with absolutely nothing in.One is a 5 & 1/2 gallon, the other a 10 gallon.I want to put those bettas,in those 2 aquariums One male will be in the 5& 1/2 (I know they are fighting fish!!) & the other male will be in the other.(Don't want babies so may get a 3rd tank for the female).So my question to you all is: can you help me??
What other sea-creatures can be housed with these bettas?
(snails,other fish,frogs even?) If you can give me species names that would be grand! Please nothing too "fancy" that can only be bought at special stores& hard to care for...
For the female (i really am thinking on getting a 3rd tank) can I house other females with her?
Help me out,I'll be ever so grateful!!
Thanks!!
I'd rather my bettas in aquariums as opposed to the tiny kits sold especially for bettas.They seem too small
(for my liking anyway)

Last edited by candyraver; 10-17-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

For the 5.5 gallon just house one of the males until the tank is completely cycled and stable. Then you could add something small but remember that a small aquarium like that can't hold much. An apple snail would be a good choice and they eat algae. They need good water conditions, though, and can't tolerate any copper (which is in many medications). Apple snails also need their diet supplemented with algae wafers and veggies. Two or three oto cats or a couple of Pygmy Cories (the other kinds get too large and messy) would work too but they can be sensitive and need algae wafers like the snails.

Some other options perfect for a 5.5 gallon would be one or two Cherry Barbs (the other barbs are too aggressive), a couple guppies (I don't recommend fancy guppies unless you have a really peaceful betta), or a bunch of ghost shrimp (although there's a chance they could get eaten if you have a more aggressive fish).

But your betta would be perfectly happy alone and the tank would be more stable that way .

As for the 10-gallon you have many more options. The creatures I mentioned above would still work and you could also look into getting a small group of tetras. Black and White Skirt Tetras are nice and I love Neons (though occasionally they can be nippy with bettas...I've never had this problem). A couple of platies would work but some can be bullies to calmer bettas. In the end it really just depends on the betta's personality...be prepared to possibly take fish back if it doesn't work out.

Whatever you do please do not house your male and female betta together. They will kill each other. If you don't plan on buying another tank I'd just house her alone in the Mini Bow without the divider (since the male will now be in a different tank). But if you do want another tank then yes, you can house female bettas together. I'd read up on the subject first since it can be tricky at first...sometimes you'll get a really mean girl who will beat up the others. You want at least three females but five or more is better. I'd add them into the new tank at the same time to help with fighting. You could use a 10-gallon but I highly recommend getting something a little larger so they can have their own territories. Make sure you have at least one hiding spot (a rock cave or something) per female and lots of plants (either real or fake).

Let me know if you need more help .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for commenting! You always have informative answers & are very helpful
I definately think I will be getting a 3rd aquarium.Is it "ok" if I do not get more female bettas but just get other fish to add with her? Or would you recommend a group of female bettas? I'm not positive which fish I will add yet... I'm going to look into apple snails tho! .
Either way; the fishies will live alone for a couple weeks as I can't get to wal-mart till around the end of the month
I would love to get real plants,they look gorgeous, are they easy to care for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
Thank you so much for commenting! You always have informative answers & are very helpful
I definately think I will be getting a 3rd aquarium.Is it "ok" if I do not get more female bettas but just get other fish to add with her? Or would you recommend a group of female bettas? I'm not positive which fish I will add yet... I'm going to look into apple snails tho! .
Either way; the fishies will live alone for a couple weeks as I can't get to wal-mart till around the end of the month
I would love to get real plants,they look gorgeous, are they easy to care for?
Yup, it's fine to have a single female betta with other fish. Many tetras would make good tankmates as would most bottom-dwelling species.

Live plants aren't too hard to care for if you have proper lighting. The problem is most tanks come with crappy lightbulbs so you'll have to buy different bulbs or possibly a new fixture unless you're buying a really nice tank. What size aquarium are you planning to get? I could probably help you as far as lighting goes. You want at least two watts per gallon (so a 20-gallon needs 40 watts of light) but three or four watts per gallon would be perfect and you'd be able to keep most plants. Don't get incandescent bulbs...they produce alot of heat, use alot of electricity, tend to burn out easily, and aren't very strong. Flourescent lighting is better and compact flourescent bulbs would be ideal.

For a planted aquarium I'd recommend using a substrate such as Flourite mixed with the gravel. You don't have to but you'll definately have better luck . Just make sure to wash it really well. Liquid supplements and tablets are available too....they aren't needed but will help.

Some good beginner plants to look into would be anacharis, amazon swords, cabomba, mirco swords, anubias, java fern, cryptocoryne, water sprite, ludwigia, and wisteria.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!! I been looking up those plants online.I think I may definately try my luck with live plants.
I have one betta (Amystika) in the 5.5 gal,my other (Trance) in the 10 & my female (Metric) is in a critter keeper (which is much bigger than those kits were!) until I get the 3rd aquarium. Not sure the size of aquarium i'm getting yet I would love a 20gal. Dunno how costly they are at wal-mart though.I also like those hexagon (think thats what it is) shaped ones. In the meantime, I must say this...when I moved my fishies into their larger habitats I almost cried! Seriously, I have never ...(or I can't remember) ever feeling so bad in my life.When they saw how much more room they had to swim they looked so happy. They looked "content" in the kit but I think it was just because they felt they never had a choice! And I felt so guilty.Now they are like overjoyed & I feel so much better
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
Thanks!! I been looking up those plants online.I think I may definately try my luck with live plants.
I have one betta (Amystika) in the 5.5 gal,my other (Trance) in the 10 & my female (Metric) is in a critter keeper (which is much bigger than those kits were!) until I get the 3rd aquarium. Not sure the size of aquarium i'm getting yet I would love a 20gal. Dunno how costly they are at wal-mart though.I also like those hexagon (think thats what it is) shaped ones. In the meantime, I must say this...when I moved my fishies into their larger habitats I almost cried! Seriously, I have never ...(or I can't remember) ever feeling so bad in my life.When they saw how much more room they had to swim they looked so happy. They looked "content" in the kit but I think it was just because they felt they never had a choice! And I felt so guilty.Now they are like overjoyed & I feel so much better
A 20-gallon probably won't be too much more then a 10-gallon although if you want live plants you'll need better lighting.

I know how you feel. I had a betta in a 2.5 gallon for almost two years and then I moved him into a 10-gallon and he was sooo happy . I also had a betta in a 2-gallon for a while and he had always been nervous. He wouldn't flare and tended to hide from everyone except me. When I moved him into the 5-gallon he looked so much better and now he flares and is really active. Bettas most definately love having lots of room to swim . Plus, bigger tanks are easier to heat and provide a more stable enviroment.

~Stephanie

Tags
bigger tank, cherry barbs, female betta, female bettas, ghost shrimp, male betta