A betta story...my last thread about my new fish tank lol ;) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Talking A betta story...my last thread about my new fish tank lol ;)

So I went into to Petco to get a plant for my tank, passing the bettas as I often do. Not finding a plant I liked, I took a look at the other fish. Twenty minuets before I had to go to work I thought I was just browsing. Upon leaving I bent down to look at all the depressed betta fish in their small containers and there I saw…. Him! This little black and gold betta slumped over with nothing to live for. Sitting between two others with their gills raised and ready to fight and here he was…. not caring… not fighting…. Just sitting there. I fell in love with him. I had to save this sweetheart. His little plastic container less than half full of water and leaking which I had to repair with tape. He spent 4 hours in the break room while I worked, checking on him every 30 minuets or so. Then I took him home, the last fish I ever wanted was a betta but now here I am a proud parent of my little “Caesar” I named him that because now he is the king of his 10 gallon tank. As I floated the plastic container to climatize him, I couldn’t believe how active he became. Every time I came close he would look at me and flap his little fins with happiness as if to say “when to I get to swim in that huge tank Ma?” and I replied “soon little Caesar … soon”. An hour later when I netted him out and set him into the tank he swam everywhere finally he got to stretch his fins. Then he happily gobbled down all the bloodworms I gave him. Now he just has to learn to stay away from the filter intake…my little Caesar. Here are some photos. Still have to get a plant or two so he has a place to hide. I will definitely have questions about my new fish for anyone who might be willing to help me. Thanks and let me know what you think about my Little Blonde Boy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hot cup of Joe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My babies
1 Dog: Huckleberry aka "Stickly Bear"
1 Cat: Kitty aka "Love Muffin"
1 Wolf Spider: JuJuBe "RIP"
1 Betta: Caeser aka "King of the 10 gal kingdom"down graded to 5 gal Kingdom lol
1 Snail: Eddy aka "Goes slow-a-lot"
1 100 gal pond to come....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats on the new betta! It's great that he's going to be living in a 10-gallon.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

hehehe

Thank you! Hopefully Caeser will be happy, Am sure he wants some plants to rest on. Do you think a small school of danio's would be ok for him to live with?....Don't want him to be lonely. Are long finned danio's "fin nippers"? I don't want any fin nippers ...Caeser's tail looks like it had been bitten before.

Hot cup of Joe

My babies
1 Betta: Caeser aka "King of the 10 gal kingdom"down graded to 5 gal Kingdom lol

Last edited by spacefunk; 04-18-2008 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Forgot to say Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww what a beautiful fish you have there he is very lucky to have been rescuedby you xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

wow, hes neat! Ive never seen a Betta that color before

My Furry Family
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question ahhh snail help

So i got a new tank mate for Caeser...a snail which im floating in the tank right now but i noticed a big round spot on the snail's tail where the tail meets the shell i took a picture of it. Is this snail safe to put in the tank? Also i noticed that when Caeser went to greet the snail he kinda looked at the snail's feelers as if they were food. Should i be worried? I could always put the snail in my pond if it doesn't work out. Anyway What is this big flat hard spot on my new snail???

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

Last edited by spacefunk; 04-18-2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Type-o :)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Hello Earthling

Congrats. I love his colors.

The snail is fine that spot is part of it, if I am correct its like a little door thing.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Red face Um...ok im stupid...lol

So ya i like moved the bag and scared my snail and he like popped in inside his shell and the big spot fit perfectly in the shell opening...Kinda like a door... how funny so i set him free with Ceaser and named my snail Eddy.

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefunk View Post
Thank you! Hopefully Caeser will be happy, Am sure he wants some plants to rest on. Do you think a small school of danio's would be ok for him to live with?....Don't want him to be lonely. Are long finned danio's "fin nippers"? I don't want any fin nippers ...Caeser's tail looks like it had been bitten before.
I wouldn't recommend danios as they tend to be hit or miss with bettas. Some are fin nippers, some aren't. And even if they don't nip, they might stress him out with their crazy behavior .

If you want to be completely safe, go with small bottom-dwelling fish like oto cats or cory cats . The apple snail you bought should be an excellent companion too. Just remember that the snail needs to have his diet supplemented with algae wafers, frozen foods, and vegetables.

(By the way, there's a good chance he was biting his own tail. Most of the time they seem to do it because of stress or boredom...in which case he'll stop and it'll heal nicely. Occasionally, though, there are bettas who bite their own tails for seemingly no reason.)

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question betta happy....snail sealed....hummm

I noticed that his tail had a chunk taken out right in the middle when I got him. But so far I haven't seen him bite his tail. Since hes in a 10 gallon now i doubt that he will get bored lol. He is a funny beta, he plays in the current from the filter, he swims away from mirrors, and right as i come in the room he will come up to greet me and he wags his tail like a dog when I wiggle my finger at him. Last two nights he has made bubble nests. The snail sealed him self up while i was at work today...should i be concerned? Anyhow

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I noticed that his tail had a chunk taken out right in the middle when I got him. But so far I haven't seen him bite his tail. Since hes in a 10 gallon now i doubt that he will get bored lol. He is a funny beta, he plays in the current from the filter, he swims away from mirrors, and right as i come in the room he will come up to greet me and he wags his tail like a dog when I wiggle my finger at him. Last two nights he has made bubble nests. The snail sealed him self up while i was at work today...should i be concerned? Anyhow
Nah, I wouldn't be concerned about the snail just yet.

By the way, here's a pretty good website for snail care: http://www.applesnail.net .

He sounds a lot like a betta I used to have named Kiyoshi. I used to call him my puppyfish because that's how he acted .

~Stephanie

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Part of the Pack

awww your betta sounds happy! I got my betta from a garage sale for free. He was in a fish bowl. He was always flaring at anything that moved. Eventually he moved into a 10gal tank, he LOVED to swim in the filter current too! So he was pretty happy when I got a 29gal with a longer current stream haha.
bettas are so funny.
This is such a nice story! I keep telling myself when I am older im going to be the crazy betta rescue lady! I just want to save them all! haha.
Also, when i had my betta I had some neons, botias(bottom fish) a pleco and hatchets with him. I had some harlequin rasboras but they seem semi aggressive and I dont know if they are normally fin nippers.
good luck with your fishy!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Betta....help?

Ok so before I got Caeser i had the water tested at petco...they said it was safe for fish....I tested the water my self today and here are the findings. NO3 at 40, NO2 at 0.5, Hardness at 175, Alkalinity at 200 and PH at 8.0....Is the PH too high....The last day or two Ceaser has been swimming around as if he is scared and I noticed yesterday that he as a small rip in his tail. Today the rip seem to healed a bit. Should I salt the tank to make sure it doesn't get infected? Would that be safe in a 10 gallon? Hes eating fine and has growen a tad and the snail is happy. Anyway thanks for any help you guys may have.

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

Last edited by spacefunk; 04-27-2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: opps
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:44 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Ok so before I got Caeser i had the water tested at petco...they said it was safe for fish....I tested the water my self today and here are the findings. NO3 at 40, NO2 at 0.5, Hardness at 175, Alkalinity at 200 and PH at 8.0....Is the PH too high....The last day or two Ceaser has been swimming around as if he is scared and I noticed yesterday that he as a small rip in his tail. Today the rip seem to healed a bit. Should I salt the tank to make sure it doesn't get infected? Would that be safe in a 10 gallon? Hes eating fine and has growen a tad and the snail is happy. Anyway thanks for any help you guys may have.
The pH is kind of high but that's not the problem...it's the NO2/Nitrite. Your NO2 level should be ZERO at all times...nitrite is highly toxic and the nervous behavior you're describing is a classic symptom of nitrite poisoning.

Even though it's low you need to do a water change ASAP and try to get it to 0. It sounds like your tank wasn't quite done cycling yet when you added the fish (but don't worry, based on the water parameters it's almost cycled...nitrite turning into nitrate is the last step).

~Stephanie

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ahhhhhh

I knew something was wrong! Oh thank you thank you!!!Will do a water change today!!!

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

Tags
betta fish, cory cats