Betta tank filter? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Betta tank filter?

I have a question about the filtration requirements for a betta. I've had a betta for about a year and a half now, and just recently I decided that maybe a filter would be good for him. He lives in a 2 gallon acrylic tank, with marbles as the substrate, and a silk plant. This is the filter I've been thinking about: Penn Plax Smallworld Filter
Would this filter be too small, or not powerful enough? Or should I get the Penn-Plax Clear Free Air Cartridge Corner Filter ?
Faith at Bettatalk.com says that she recommends the Penn Plax Mini Corner filter, but I'm not sure which one she meant. I already have an airpump from the kit that my tank came from, but never did use the undergravel filter it was meant for.

Please, I'd appreciate any comments at all.

Last edited by HamterDudette; 06-19-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 11:14 AM

I use a Whisper filter for my 2.5 gallon tank.
http://petco.com/product_info.asp?fa...r+Filters&ct3=
That one.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Hm....do you keep a betta in your 2.5 gallon tank? I plan on getting a java fern later on, and I know that they prefer still water, just like bettas do. 90 gph seems like a lot of current.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Also, what kind of light requirements do Java ferns need? All I have in my betta's tank is a 5 watt incandescent bulb, and I'm assuming that's not enough, but I'm not sure if the thingy that you screw the bulb into (great terminology by Sarah XD) is the correct size for a better bulb, or if it CAN hold a bulb with more wattage.

Another question. Right now I have marbles on the ground in his tank because gravel becomes grimy and dirty so quickly, but Java ferns need gravel, right? Would it be possible to put gravel in a pot, and put the Java fern in that? I guess with a filter, the gravel would stay cleaner, but I still like marbles...

Last edited by HamterDudette; 06-19-2005 at 02:42 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 02:57 PM

I don't know about the java fern but 90 gph is definately too much. I have that much force on my 10 gallon and it still bothered my betta. I recommend you get a sponge filter or a filter that you can adjust.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. By the way, your betta is beautiful! I love the strips of blue (or is it violet?) on the tail.
EDIT: I'm sorry, I didn't notice the thread that Rye is dead. But I still admire the colors on your late pet.
Mr. George has a maroon colored body, a blue dorsal fin with black spots, and random strips of blue all over his tail and anal fins. He may be a multicolored veiltail (apparently the mutts of the betta world) but I still love him.

And, I finally found where Faith at bettatalk.com talked about Penn Plax Smallworld filters: Spawning Must Haves I guess they are for spawning tanks, but I must admit that Mr. George is getting old, and I don't want any filters that might create too fast of a current, or might be too powerful. So, any comments or reviews on any of the filters that have been linked to in this thread? Please?

Last edited by HamterDudette; 06-19-2005 at 04:01 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 08:28 PM

Mine is perfect for Music, my betta. You can adjust the flow setting in case it is too powerful or the other way around.
I tried putting plants in my tank, but they all weren't doing well at all, so I think you should just stick to artificial plants. Make sure they are safe for bettas though as some of the fake ones can cut their fins.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

If I turned the setting on the Whisper filter down low, then wouldn't it work the same as the Penn Plax filter? I'm sorry, I'm a stickler for saving money... How often would I have to replace the cartridge? And would I have to cycle the tank with a filter? That might not be good for my betta... Maybe I should just wait...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 11:52 PM

It's ok about Rye...I'm getting over it. I'm still sad about it but I have to move on. I have four more to take care of. Yea, he had blue streaks on his tail and scales. He was so beautiful.
Yes, a tank would be cycled if it had a filter. There are some things to instant cycle a tank but they cost a lot and they have to be in the fridge at the store or else they will not work. You can run another tank if you have one and do a cycle on that tank and then just transfer the filter over. Or if you really don't want it to cycle you would have to do frequent 100% water changes which would be the same if you didn't have a filter in it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Well, I would be fine with cycling, but I can't do it while Mr. George is still in the tank! I guess I could move him to a jar during it, but that might deteriorate his health. He is probably 3 years old by now, and he also had ich a couple months ago. Moving him to a jar and then moving him back might cause a lot of stress, and then he might be really shocked to find a big new box in his tank that makes rumbling noises...I don't know..
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 04:54 PM

I really like my filter and it has worked wonderfully for me. I've never used a penn plax filter so I honestly couldn't tell you anything other than my experiences.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Well, I guess I just want to save money, because I am still too young to get a proper, paying job. All I get is the occasional dollar or two in between the sofa cushions. Of course, I have saved since I was little, and I do get holiday money from my relatives sometimes, so I get enough to pay for my two pets, and school lunches.

ANYWAY, enough with my life. Could you tell me the best, least-stressful-for-the-fish way to cycle a tank? How long would it take to cycle a tank with a sponge filter?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have done a little more research, and I decided that maybe I don't need a filter. Without a filter, it will still cycle, right?

Maybe it was a mistake to completely break down the tank last week... but I was just fed up with the overgrowth of algae and all of the grime I saw at the bottom of the tank, even though it was mostly just bits of algae that I had scraped from the side of the tank (it STILL amazes me how little poo bettas make) and I just decided that I wanted a sparkling clean tank...

Anyway, I still want some answers about gravel. There is so much conflicting information online. Some sites say that you can't have marbles because, since they are round, they create a bigger space in between marbles for gunk to collect in, and some sites say that gravel collets too much bacteria, and helps make the water dirty. I know that some nice, bright blue or black gravel would really make the colors in Mr. George stand out. But I'm afraid maintenance will get harder, and it might even reduce his health.

Please, I guess all these replies from me will make people think that my questions are answered, but I still want help! Sometimes it seems so unfair that some forum members only look at threads that were made by members they are friends with, or they leave some threads alone because someone else answered them... I usually don't answer on threads because I know I'd end up giving out the wrong information--that tends to happen to me a lot--and I just really want some simple opinions.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 09:02 PM

One thing is that even if you do have a filter you still need to clean the tank weekly! The filter takes care of some of the bacteria but not all. With or without filter, weekly cleaning of the tank is best!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:43 AM

A tank will not cycle without a filter. You will have some beneficial bacteria in the tank but it will not be cycled. I suggest you don't get a tank right now because your betta is old and it will inevitably cause stress and cycling with an old betta is not the recommended thing to do. I would just do weekly water changes.

Tags
black spots