Betta tank questions? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Betta tank questions?

I have a Mini Bow 2.5 gallon with in-tank filtration that I'd like to put one of my bettas in. The filter has two speeds so I could set it on low. I also have an Eclipse 2 gallon that has in the hood filtration. I don't want to stress any of them out or lose one by putting them in these tanks.
Does anyone keep their bettas in this type of tank, with filtration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:31 PM

id also love to know this answer. i am thinking of getting this tank at petco to house a betta.
that sounds like what you are talking about
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 08:02 AM

I use to go on a fish forum and they said that you can put your beta in a big tank, and that petstores lie that they need to go in those little bowls to make extra money off of you. Also, my boyfriends sister had one in one of those tanks that you mention and her fish did fine. We were going to buy some for our fish but then they passed away before we could do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 09:58 AM

i have been doing research and with a small tank you could have to change the water 2 times a week!
best bet is alway a 2.5 to a 5 gal tank
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 02:58 PM

I remember reading on a fish website, and it said you can have up to 10 gallon tank. But I agree w/you, I would personally be more comfortable w/ a 2.5 - 5 gallon tank for a beta.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

we always had our bettas in a big tank, but we had other fish in there too. I don't remember my mom changing the water too often, she just used a filter and filled it when the water evaporated. I don't know though, I don't know too much about fish.

*Missy*
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Those tanks are fine but I'd remove the filters. Filters create water currents, which stress out bettas because they prefer quiet, still water.

I keep my bettas in tanks ranging from 2 gallons to 3 gallons.

By the way, doesn't the Mini-Bow come with a Whisper filter? If so, I'd take it out since they are notorious for destroying the long fins of betta fish.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Those tanks are fine but I'd remove the filters. Filters create water currents, which stress out bettas because they prefer quiet, still water.

I keep my bettas in tanks ranging from 2 gallons to 3 gallons.

By the way, doesn't the Mini-Bow come with a Whisper filter? If so, I'd take it out since they are notorious for destroying the long fins of betta fish.
Yes the mini bow comes with a whisper filter. I am rethinking my decision to put them in the tanks with a filter.That's what I'm afraid of, the current stressing them out. I heard some people say they put them in tanks with a filter and some do ok, some don't. Don't want to take that chance with my fishies.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
Yes the mini bow comes with a whisper filter. I am rethinking my decision to put them in the tanks with a filter.That's what I'm afraid of, the current stressing them out. I heard some people say they put them in tanks with a filter and some do ok, some don't. Don't want to take that chance with my fishies.
Yeah, some fish are ok with them, but I wouldn't recommend it since in an un-cycled tank filters don't do much anyways. And I would never use a Whisper Filter with my bettas.

I'd just take the filters out .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
betta fish