Bettas! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Bettas!

Hey everyone!

I kidnapped a bunch of bettas from my school because they were going to put them in the freezer. An animal behavior class was using them to study mating/aggression behavior - which basically means they were trying to breed them, and sticking two males in the same tank to watch them fight. They don't usually let the lab animals hang around for two long after they're experimented on, so that's why they were headed for the freezer.

Anyways, I found other people to take a bunch of the fish, but decided to keep two of them. I got a decent size tank and put a seperator down the middle. There's a male on one side, a female on the other.

Today I'm going to the pet store to get some stuff for them - gravel and plants for the tank mostly. Also, is there anything I can buy that will help with their fins? They look a little torn up and stuff and I don't want them getting infected or anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 08:37 AM

Oh my gosh I can't believe anyone studying animal behavior and had a passion for animals would do that.Thank God you saved them.
Freshwater aquarium salt and Stress Coat water conditioner are what I would get to help with there fins.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Guarded by Waffles

Why Freshwater aquarium salt?

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine
Why Freshwater aquarium salt?
It helps in disease treatment.She is worried about there fins getting infected.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Wow, that's horrible. Is that even legal? Putting them in the freezer is a very inhumane way to put them down. I'm glad you took them.

I would use aquarium salt like Nikki said and also pick up some Melafix...it'll help them regrow their fins. Make sure they have plenty of places to hide. Oh, and don't buy plastic plants since those will tear at their fins...get silk or live ones .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 12:58 AM
RAT ADDICT

I agree with the above posters!

I can't believe they were just gonna put them in the freezer when they were "done" with them! How cruel is that!? And studying their fighting habits??? Man...thats angering to hear!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 03:05 PM

I just love bettas and that makes me so mad that they were just gonna put them in the freezer. Thank goodness you took them. Another thing you can do is give them salt baths where you bathe them in warm water with the salt. Melafix is also good
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachi
I just love bettas and that makes me so mad that they were just gonna put them in the freezer.
Me too. I love bettas they are my favorite fish.I have never meet a betta that I didn't love.I wouldn't trade my 4 for any other fish.I have to say I may be biased but bettas are the most beautiful fish.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks everyone!

I know it's horrable that they were going to do that to them - I'm happy I was able to find homes for all of them, I just hope the school doesn't get more anytime soon and do the same thing. I'm going to complain about it - that was a needless experiment and the fish should not have been killed (which they wern't thank god, but were sapose to have been if I didn't take them).

You should have seen my room before I found people to take most of them! Fish tanks all over the place!

Now I just have the two, they seem to be doing ok. They wern't really eating much and their colors were very dull, but now that they've been in the new tank for awhile they seem to be brigtening up. And they both ate last night, yay.

So I named them, as you can see in my signature. The female's name, Kanya, is sapose to mean "girl" in Thai, which I thought was fitting since she was one of the only girls in the bunch. The male is Kiet, which is sapose to be a Thai name meaning "honor". I got the names off a random website so who knows if they really mean what the site said they mean - but either way, those are their names!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 04:21 PM

So glad they are doing better! Can't wait to hear more about them improving.

Tags
aquarium salt, fish tank, pet store