bettas - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question bettas

hey everyone. another fish disease question. Ive always heard people come in a few weeks after buying a betta from our store and say that their betta either lays at the bottom of the bowl or floats sideways at the top and doesnt move until you put food in the bowl. they perk up, exhaustively swim around for food and then regain their post at the top or bottom. Ive heard of them living several years like this and never dying or showing any signs of stress (other than laying at the bottom of the bowl or floating sideways at the top.) none of the bettas on our shelf have ever had this problem and i never have had the chance to try out any treatments so i never really have known what to tell people. anyone know what causes this or how to treat it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sounds like a temperature issue. A lot of people don't realize that bettas are tropical fish and therefore don't heat the aquarium. I see that all the time, sadly .

It could also be poor water quality (I would ask those customers about their water change schedule and ask for a water sample to test) or not enough space (if the betta is being kept in one of those tiny half gallon containers or a vase).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

although we do heat the betta water at the store i work at, i have several at home that are not heated and they do fine. i doubt its a water quality problem thing because even some of my more fish-educated customers have had this happen and i know they know how to take care of them. bettas dont really mind a small space because they have a lybrinth organ that allows them to use air to get oxygen and in the wild can live for several days laying on top of mud fliping over periodically to stay wet if they are in the shade. also one of my bettas (a dragon scale named shine) has lived in a small cup for about five years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

The times that I have bought bettas (recently) they have died within a week. I'm not sure why this is, as I feel like I'm not a bad fish mom...

But I had a few when I was little and they lived FOREVER. I'm not sure why the recent ones have died on me. I think its just that they come from the breeder not doing too well in the first place, and then changing into their new environment is too much. But, that is my not-even-close to expert opinion
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by petstoredude View Post
although we do heat the betta water at the store i work at, i have several at home that are not heated and they do fine. i doubt its a water quality problem thing because even some of my more fish-educated customers have had this happen and i know they know how to take care of them. bettas dont really mind a small space because they have a lybrinth organ that allows them to use air to get oxygen and in the wild can live for several days laying on top of mud fliping over periodically to stay wet if they are in the shade. also one of my bettas (a dragon scale named shine) has lived in a small cup for about five years.
They can live in small spaces, yes, but some people take that to mean they should permanently live in tiny bowls and vases. As for the temperature, keep in mind that your room temperature might be heating them enough while other people may have colder houses.

I won't comment too much on the cup thing since I'll end up ranting, lol. While they can live in cramped conditions like that (and often for many years), it doesn't mean they should IMO. I'll never understand why people insist on keeping bettas in tiny tanks--but gourami species (who have the same organ) in actual aquariums.

Your best bet would be to get people to bring in water samples to rule out water quality as an issue. Bettas are really hardy fish so something must be off. Maybe diet is another factor to look into? What are most customers feeding?

The only other time I usually see symptoms like you describe is when a fish isn't acclimated properly (just dumped in the tank)...is that a possibility? That's not usually as much of an issue with bettas but it's worth looking into!

Good luck, I hope you figure it out . And again, the main reason I bring up water quality is because most people are very lax with bettas due to their hardiness. When I was really into bettas (had them all over the place, haha), I kept them all in heated, cycled, planted aquariums (I still have a couple as pets, each in a 5-gallon). I have to say, I never experienced ANY disease or sudden deaths. They all lived several years...including the "fancy" varieties. I do, however, have quite a bit of experience treating bettas for disease--all other peoples' fish! It made me wonder if maybe a lot of people are inadvertently making their bettas more prone to sickness .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Headlock

ive had a betta once that would only float to the side after i cleaned the tank out every other time he lived to be 3 since they only live to 5 i think but other then that mine were fine =]

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Junior Jouster

I had a betta that had some sort of gut bloat. I don't quite remember it was awhile ago when it happened, but I gave him a special food to prevent air buildup in his gut. I apologize that I don't have the name of the food, but it was a gold pouch about 2" x3" with a label on the front and a small opening on the bottom with a white cap. I fed him just that and he lived for about 7 years, cured the floating thing.

Mini Horse: Moose
Mini Donkey: Letty
Potbelly Pig: Bubbles
Nigerian Dwarf Goats: Tidy Whitey, Josie, Elroy
Miniature Schnauzer: Leelo
German Wirehaired Pointer: Cricket
Human: Katie

Tags
betta, disease, fish, float, sink