bettas and plants - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

bettas and plants

in the near future i would like to set up a 5.5 w/ divider for our 2 bettas. (would like to do a 10 but it won't fit in the space i have in mind) anyway i love planted tanks and have never had any luck with them. i think i am going to try it again with this tank. any tips? if you have plants in with your bettas what kind do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I love planted tanks too and i have amazon swords and a couple of other plants (the names won't come to mind at the moment) in my community tank and i have to say my betta has never bothered them. I also have realistic looking silk plants aswell to add to the effect and give it some depth and they work pretty well too

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The best advice I can give you is to get good lighting. At least a 10-watt but a 15 or 20-watt for a 5.5 gallon would be absolutely perfect. Stay away from incandescent lighting....flourescent or compact flourescent is better.

If your hood comes with incandescent bulbs then I highly recommend replacing them with these: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113346

I recently made a long post on another thread about plants: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37218

Let me know if you have questions....I love live plants .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:20 PM

I tottaly agree with Sasami she is right on!

Also the incadescent lights can mess with the temp of the water!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin
I tottaly agree with Sasami she is right on!

Also the incadescent lights can mess with the temp of the water!
Yup, not to mention they burn out quickly and waste electricity. I honestly don't know why people bother using incandescent lighting in aquariums.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 05:00 PM

seriously, they are a waste of money. They are cheaper like 1.99 at wal-mart and the flourscents are like 4.99 but the 4.99 last like 3 months and the other last like 1 so it adds up to be more, and you are getting a crappeir thing.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 09:49 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have abit of water sprite (I think) in my tank.My sister gave me some.It is thriving well and keeps reproducing,so I am always taking some out and giving it to my turtle,so it don't overcrowd and die.He likes eating it.Anyway the fish sometimes nibble on it,but otheriwse leave it be.It floats on the top of the water BTW.

If you go for fake plants,go with the silk ones.The plastic ones can rip betta fins!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 09:34 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

^^ Lisa I needs sum Water Sprite, lol...send me some!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:26 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
^^ Lisa I needs sum Water Sprite, lol...send me some!!
I will have to remember to give you some.The stuff breeds like crazy and if it starts overcrowding,the leaves and roots turn brown and it dies off, so I am constantly taking some out!It needs good light too!

* Lisa *

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 10:06 PM

^^^ I'm also looking for water sprite!!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 10:50 PM
RAT ADDICT

I only has abit left now and it seems to be dying off...oh well,I have no luck with plants anyway!

* Lisa *

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 08:45 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Awhh...Maybe you should research plant care a bit more and get more off Amanda!! Which reminds me I need to ask for a bit off her soon!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I only has abit left now and it seems to be dying off...oh well,I have no luck with plants anyway!
What sort of lighting do you have? That's very strange...water sprite pretty much never dies . In fact, it likes to take over my tanks!

Maybe start adding a liquid fertilizer?

~Stephanie

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 08:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

I actually don't care about plants that much anyway.I mean,because I don't have luck...well I accept that.I am not gonna bother with researching,as I honestly don't care.I am not a plant person and am not getting anymore plants,so I don't find the point to research.

* Lisa *

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
Awhh...Maybe you should research plant care a bit more and get more off Amanda!! Which reminds me I need to ask for a bit off her soon!!
Check your PM will you