Bettas - Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 43
 
Bettas - Question

Okay here's my dilemma. At my office we have two one gallon tanks with a betta in each. One of the betta's decides she doesn't like her tank one day and jumps out a tiny little hole in the hood (for feeding). After lord knows how long being on the floor behind the filing cabinet I go to pick her up thinking she's dead. She's not! Amazingly she survives and lasts the weekend. I promptly cover the little feeding hole with paper (on both tanks) to prevent any future drama!

Now I know these fish are known to jump so it didn't surprise me. What did however was the size of the hole she jumped through and the fact she survived. Today as I'm doing a water change, I switch her to a pitcher until I can clean the tank. I put the cover on the pitcher and proceed to clean the tank. A couple of minutes later I go to check on her (just turned my back. She was on the counter and I was about 2 feet away) and she's not there! She had jumped out a TINY (and I mean tiny) pour spout on the pitcher and was laying on the counter. I pick her up and put her back in the pitcher (yes she survived again she was only out of water for about 2 minutes) and call a co-worker over to "babysit" and keep that spout covered.

Now my question is....Is this normal behavior??? She seems to want to kill herself. I do have fish at home but they are fancy goldfish and in my opinion too fat to jump but this is my first experience with a betta. I need advice.
brooklynbrat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 02:33 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 111
 
I think it is. Not 100% sure though. Mine jump on occasion but not that much in a matter of days...
Fuzzy is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 9,930
   
Yes, it is. I personally have never had a betta like that but I know several betta breeders and it's perfectly normal.

Perhaps she's bored or something?




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Sasami is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 43
 
It was actually about 2 months between jumps.

I just don't get it. She's got a bigger tank other than that little glass bowl they are usually in (probably for that reason since they can't get up enough speed to jump out). I tried keeping a catfish in with her since I was told you can have a catfish and she just relentlessly attacked the poor thing. I had to take it home and put it in my tank.
brooklynbrat is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 9,930
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbrat
It was actually about 2 months between jumps.

I just don't get it. She's got a bigger tank other than that little glass bowl they are usually in (probably for that reason since they can't get up enough speed to jump out). I tried keeping a catfish in with her since I was told you can have a catfish and she just relentlessly attacked the poor thing. I had to take it home and put it in my tank.
Although it's bigger then a bowl, it's still not a very large tank. 2 gallons might be better, it would probably help since it's deeper and harder to jump out of.

Do you have plants and decorations in the tank? They like colorful things to look at. You could also try re-arranging and re-decorating often...it'll keep her busy.




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Sasami is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 43
 
I have one plant that goes along the back of the tank (the tank is like a triangle) and the gravel is white. Unfortunately I cannot get a bigger tank because these tanks are in my office. Now when you even go to open the lid to feed her she goes nuts and zips around the tank! Maybe I will do that and get different decorations. The other betta has not even attempted to do that but he has totally different decorations i.e. colorful gravel and two different plants. Thanks for the advice!
brooklynbrat is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 9,930
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbrat
I have one plant that goes along the back of the tank (the tank is like a triangle) and the gravel is white. Unfortunately I cannot get a bigger tank because these tanks are in my office. Now when you even go to open the lid to feed her she goes nuts and zips around the tank! Maybe I will do that and get different decorations. The other betta has not even attempted to do that but he has totally different decorations i.e. colorful gravel and two different plants. Thanks for the advice!
No problem, hope it helps .

You could get one of those rocks with the holes in it to hide in...my bettas love them. They have both plastic and real rock ones.




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Sasami is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:36 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 25
 
I've never had one of my own bettas jump out of their tank except when I'm trying to get them out of it to clean the tank. That was a very trying experience when one of my bettas (mother of 8 itty bettas i managed to breed with her and my friends male) jumped out of the net i had caught her in, fell into the sink, (last time i did a water change in the sink) and then fell into the drain. I flipped out, my mom opened up the catch (its an old sink luckily and opened easily) and we managed to save her. Actually, the trip into the Draino filled pipe (my mom had cleaned the sink just before) cured her of a month long bout of swim bladder. Weird.

Anyway...way off topic *blush* Yeah, some of them are jumpers, when you get one like that you can try a couple of things, and I think changing her scenery would be a good start. But the whole freaking out while you change her bowl is very normal, all of mine do that. They know to fear the net....

Hope you manage to get this little thing under control.
almightyshroom is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 43
 
Thanks. Unfortunately the change of scenery did not help. When I bought her she was a beautiful turqoise color. Now she doesn't really have that color. She is more grey than anything. Needless to say I do not think she is going to make it through the weekend. As of yesterday, she was either laying on the bottom or floating on her side at the top of the tank (I thought she was gone). When I moved the tank, she righted herself. The thing is, the male I have in another tank is calm and doesn't even freak when I do a water change. I just don't know what else to do for her. Hopefully when I return to the office on Tuesday she will still be alive. Thanks for all of the input.
brooklynbrat is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 9,930
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbrat
Thanks. Unfortunately the change of scenery did not help. When I bought her she was a beautiful turqoise color. Now she doesn't really have that color. She is more grey than anything. Needless to say I do not think she is going to make it through the weekend. As of yesterday, she was either laying on the bottom or floating on her side at the top of the tank (I thought she was gone). When I moved the tank, she righted herself. The thing is, the male I have in another tank is calm and doesn't even freak when I do a water change. I just don't know what else to do for her. Hopefully when I return to the office on Tuesday she will still be alive. Thanks for all of the input.
I'm sorry to hear that .

Is she eating? Does she seem bloated or anything? What's the temperature in the tank?




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Sasami is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:03 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 97
 
Hi I have 12 bettas ( 9 males and 3 females) I know quite alot about them and have even bred them 3 times. Bettas are know to jump. Esp if you keep them in a small tank. Bettas need AT LEAST a two gallon tank. Or if you are gonna keep them in somthing small make shure you have a tight fitting lid.
PiggieLuver is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 06:22 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12
 
Smile

It's a bit worrying that your betta is losing her color and alternately sinking and side-floating. I don't know exactly what this means, but for my bettas it was usually the beginning of the end.

If she recovers, you might try floating lots of plants across the top of the tank. Lots. Bettas are part-time air-breathers, and spend lots of time just hanging at the surface, but the frilly little torpedos can really work up some speed when they want to. If there's enough plant matter, real or artificial, at the surface, it might be harder to jump out.

They definitely jump. I don't know how many times I've found mine on the floor, with several cats closing in, before I caught on!

Eileen
caniphile2 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 43
 
I'm sorry

I haven't been on in quite a while - life has gotten in the way. I am sorry to say that shortly after my post, Chloe passed away. We decided to get a new one and he is doing great however, little Piglet (the other betta we had) also passed away. I have decided that the office is not the place for fish and have decided not to get any more.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice!
brooklynbrat is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 9,930
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbrat
I haven't been on in quite a while - life has gotten in the way. I am sorry to say that shortly after my post, Chloe passed away. We decided to get a new one and he is doing great however, little Piglet (the other betta we had) also passed away. I have decided that the office is not the place for fish and have decided not to get any more.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice!
I'm sorry for your losses .




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Sasami is offline  
Reply

Tags
bigger tank


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome