Which is better? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Which is better?

My mom and I are planning on buying a new aquarium soon to relplace the 20 gallon one we have now. We're looking into buying a corner one that's about 36 gallons. Is a bowed glass front better or one with corners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

...Anyone?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

I have a Bay fronted tank I have my tropicals in it, i.e my Black widow tetras and my X ray tetras, as to how many Gallons or litres it is could'nt tell you.

And its not necceasarily in the corner of the front room, It would be nice if I had a steel frame to rest it on as I am very tall and it is very hard for me to get down so low to maintain them, after all I am 6ft2 1/2 and have suspected arthritus.

= ^ _ ^ =

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Curmudgeon

Nat,

There are a TON of choices in aquariums, of all shapes and sizes. They are all good, well made, attractive and of various prices. Pick whatever looks good for your needs, at the price you want.

No one is really any better than the other. I like tall tanks, because I like to have fish that swim in different levels. Other folks like long tanks.

Just look at a lot of aquariums of different sizes and see what fits your space best. Take into account where you put the filter, how easy it will be to get behind it (if necessary), how difficult it will be to fill and drain, etc.

It's all good....

bob
bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bob Bob! So I guess I'll just choose whichever one I want. The one we were looking at was taller, and I really liked it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Natalie, I'm not sure if one is really better than the other, but I really like those bow front ones!

I think choosing tall or long depends on the fish you have or plan on getting. Like Bob said, different types of fish like to swim in different levels. I don't think it would matter too much with a 36 gal tank though.

I do have to tell you that when you start to get into larger tanks height does matter when it comes time to clean them out. My mom got a 150 gal tall tank. It's a gorgeous tank and she chose the tall so it wouldn't take up as much space in the living room. The first time she did a clean out she decided she made the wrong choice because she has to stand on a chair to be able to reach down inside of it.....even then she has to use plastic tongs to reach the gravel in the bottom. (I laugh at her everytime which makes her even more frustrated! )I know that the height of the stand obviously makes an overall difference too, so keep that in mind when purchasing a tank.

Rhonda

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:53 PM

I agree, it is all just what you prefer. I love the look of the bow front tanks myself.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 11:54 AM

I like the look of the bow front tanks, but they've come out with something called a "wave tank" that I would love to have, if I had the room.

http://www.all-glass.com/products/fe...5waveaquarium/
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips.
Tomorrow my mom is going to go to two different pet stores since the aquarium managers are only there Sundays. One aquarium is a 36 gallon corner tank and the other is a 44 gallon tank, I think. I don't know which one she is going to choose, but I do know I'm not going with her since she wants to go at like ten in the morning.
I think I also forgot to mention that the mollies we have currently had ten babies, so we just want a tank with more room for all the fishies.

Tags
pet store, pet stores