bought a live plant for my tank.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

bought a live plant for my tank..

i wanted something in my tank so i figured id get a plant they actually cleaned all the tanks at walmart.. im kinda proud of them..
anyway the plant.. i forget what it was called the check out lady forgot to give me back the tag and i forgot too so yeah it looks kinda like grass, called micro swords or something? anyway, i was wondering how im supposed to put it in, should i rinse it or something first? does the water have to be slowly adjusted like fish or do i jus kinda plop it in? and can i burry the plastic thing in the gravel? or should i take it out og the lil plastic thing? sorry for all the questions..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family

Last edited by Angelnstuff; 02-08-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, it's probably Micro Swords . It needs fairly decent lighting...what sort of lighting do you have? You'll also probably need liquid fertilizer.

I would rinse it in warm water and then just plop it in . I'm not quite sure what you mean by "plastic thing" . A plant weight? A tie? Anyways, I would leave it on until the plant roots so it doesn't float away .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

its sorta a little black basket thing, and the light, im not sure, i looked on the bulb it just says..
Eclipse
Natural daylight
F18/T8 24"
if that helps ya any? what kinda fertilizer, is that something i would be able to buy at walmart? its the only store that sells pet stuff, thats decent distance, or else it might have to wait a few weeks

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

how many watts do it have, and how big of a tank do you have? you should get at least 3watts per gallon for descent growth, but if you have a lot go with 4 watts per gallon
i personally have a 65gal and use 5watts per gallon, for small aquariums a reg fluorescent may provide that wattage, for for ten and on, i highly recommend a compact fluorescent lighting

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
its sorta a little black basket thing, and the light, im not sure, i looked on the bulb it just says..
Eclipse
Natural daylight
F18/T8 24"
if that helps ya any? what kinda fertilizer, is that something i would be able to buy at walmart? its the only store that sells pet stuff, thats decent distance, or else it might have to wait a few weeks
That bulb is most likely fine because Eclipse aquariums generally have nice lighting . I know mine came with over four watts per gallon of power compact lighting...I love it.

Still, though, if you can find out the wattage that would be good. My tank is smaller.

I have no idea if you can get it at Wal-Mart...our Wal-Mart doesn't sell any fish stuff.

It's special aquarium fertilizer...it's generally a liquid or a tablet. A liquid one would be better for the kind of plant you have.

You also might need a CO2 system or liquid carbon (called "flourish excel"). I guess just pay attention and see how the plant grows. You might not need anything else...it really depends on your lighting and how the plant does.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

of course you could always get another fish to balance that CO2 out

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
of course you could always get another fish to balance that CO2 out
Not exactly. I wish it was that simple =/. Then again, some of the plants I keep are kind of sensitive, lol. Anyways, if the CO2 is really low then adding another fish isn't going to help much. Especially if there are airstones or something.

I don't think I've ever actually kept micro swords so I dunno...I've kept other "grasses" and am going by my experiences with those. It can be tricky getting them to spread.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

heres a pic of my plant btw.. i was gonna post it before, but yeah, i kinda forgot about this thread (sorry)

DSC00115.JPG

My Furry Family
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, that looks like a micro sword plant . Though I must admit that I do sometimes mix up my grass-like plants, lol.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 04:01 PM

It's a cute little plant, I'm not sure what it is though...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

yup, its a micro sword, not doing very well tho.. might die.. ive never been very good with plants.. might just be too much air in the tank, with there being the filter and the air stones, and no fish..

My Furry Family
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
yup, its a micro sword, not doing very well tho.. might die.. ive never been very good with plants.. might just be too much air in the tank, with there being the filter and the air stones, and no fish..
I'm sure it's not your fault . It's a harder plant to care for and needs a form of CO2 plus fertilizers. Like you said, the airstones are going to cause problems for many plants too. Usually in a planted tank airstones aren't used...the plants provide plenty of oxygen anyways.

I would stick to plants that can be left floating or tied to something rather then ones that are planted directly into the substrate. They tend to be much hardier. I would look for java ferns, anubius, hornwort, water sprite, and duckweed. I've had some of those plants in tanks without lighting or any form of CO2 .

~Stephanie

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

do you have any good sites to research plants? as Ive never heard of any of those.. and would like some more information on CO2 and fertilizers... I'm considering getting a 10gal tank from walmart to use as a Quarantine tank.. so i might try to make that a planted tank.. try being the key word here
i was going to ask something else.. but i cant remember.. heh

My Furry Family
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
do you have any good sites to research plants? as Ive never heard of any of those.. and would like some more information on CO2 and fertilizers... I'm considering getting a 10gal tank from walmart to use as a Quarantine tank.. so i might try to make that a planted tank.. try being the key word here
i was going to ask something else.. but i cant remember.. heh
You could try reading the FAQs on Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information .

For some plants you don't need additional CO2 but it's almost always beneficial to your plants . They sell CO2 chambers in petstores. You can also use a product called Seachem's Flourish Excel...it's liquid carbon. I would use a substrate made for plants such as flourite. If you don't then definately use a liquid fertilizer...I use FloraPride.

Just remember that in a quarantine tank you are going to have sick fish sometimes and there are many medications that can be harmful to plants.

~Stephanie

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Just remember that in a quarantine tank you are going to have sick fish sometimes and there are many medications that can be harmful to plants.
heh good point.. then i'd have to get a quarantine tank to quarantine the quarantine.. heh.. im liking this.. i'll go check out that site, thanks

My Furry Family

Tags
doing fine