breeders check this out plz! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation breeders check this out plz!

hi guys i am a breeder of all sorts(cats, dogs, crabs, mice, rats, etc...)
and i need an expert to tell me wat fish i should start breedin for freshwater(warm water only no goldfish!! )
i was thinking of angelfish(since i already have one)
or fiery swordtails because they lay their eggs live and can eatflake food

any other suggestions?
plz give me some names to start with!
thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Depends on what you're breeding for. Will you be selling them as feeders or to pet stores as pets? Would you like to be able to enter shows? Do you prefer species with various colors and patterns? Are you looking for something more challenging or more of a beginner species?

The easiest fish by far to breed are the livebearers--guppies, mollies, platies, and swordtails. Out of those, I would only avoid mollies because they can be fragile and have more specific needs. With guppies it's hard to find good, healthy stock to start with but they're easy to care for and gorgeous.

Rosy red minnows are also easy to raise but don't come in many varieties and I don't think there are any competitions! They're not exactly tropical but can tolerate all different temperatures. I raise them as food for my turtle.

Angelfish aren't as difficult as other species but they're not easy to raise by any means. You need to have a lot of space and should be familiar with water parameters and maintaining a stable environment. If you're newer to fish, I would stick to the livebearers .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

ok thx but i still need more advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Well, that's why I asked you those questions .

What are your plans? If someone wanted feeders, for example, I'd recommend rosy red minnows and endler's. If someone wanted to enter competitions, I'd recommend fancy guppies or bettas. If someone just wanted to breed as a learning experience, livebearers are the way to go. If someone wanted a challenge, I'd recommend breeding fish that are usually wild-caught (gobies, wild betta species, etc.).

It would also help to know how much space you have. Breeding celestial danios requires almost no room while breeding bettas can get pretty crazy with all of the little tanks for the males!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Well, that's why I asked you those questions .

What are your plans? If someone wanted feeders, for example, I'd recommend rosy red minnows and endler's. If someone wanted to enter competitions, I'd recommend fancy guppies or bettas. If someone just wanted to breed as a learning experience, livebearers are the way to go. If someone wanted a challenge, I'd recommend breeding fish that are usually wild-caught (gobies, wild betta species, etc.).

It would also help to know how much space you have. Breeding celestial danios requires almost no room while breeding bettas can get pretty crazy with all of the little tanks for the males!
ive tried bettas,
that dont work,
so im gonna try livebearers
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Sigh. Sweetheart, please stop. You've made it clear you only wish to breed to make money, and you don't want to hear that non-abusive breeding is not a money making venture. Moving lower on the food chain by shifting from fur and feather animals to fish isn't going to change that.

You are working very hard to alienate the entire board with your determination to abuse animals for profit. What you keep seeking goes against everything thing this board was created for.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Playful Pup

Oh, now you're a cat/dog/rat/mouse/crab breeder?
You were toe-ing the line before. Now you've crossed it. You are a horrible, horrible person.

x 2 (Lady and Bug)

x 2 (Scooter and Tinkerbell)

x 12 (praying mantises, no smilie for it)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Newborn Pup

i dont condone your breeding habits at all and being a pet store employee for 4 years now ive seen and heard of a lot of stuff like this some better some worse but breeding that many animals in one place is usually harmful for both the animals and caretaker. unless you have a huge facility, you should slow down the breeding, if not stop it all together. having that many animals in one place is never a good thing. and even if you are giving them really good living conditions, cats and dogs are greatly over populated now days to the point where there are more dogs and cats in need than homes able to take them in. and breeding crabs? really? crabs are sensitive to water quality and in my opinion fall under the category of animals not really suitable as pets. not to mention not very many people set up an aquarium with the thought, "i just really want a crab." i sell very few of them (im not sure what kind you breed but we sell the red clawed crabs) and usually have to talk people/kids into buying them.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Hey petstoredude.

I think the OP is long gone. He/she posted rampantly for one day trying to find out all they could for making a quick buck from any and all kinds of animals, was thoroughly chastised by most posters and I think even handled by the mods.

That said, your post is still excellent and good advice for anyone else coming into the forums who might not know the facts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Tags
breed, eggs, fish, swordtail