breeding bettas - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

breeding bettas

anyone here ever bred bettas? im debating on getting two breeding pairs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I haven't done it but was really interested at one point. I decided against it.

I'm sure you know this already but here are some things to consider...

Betta breeding is very tricky and rough on both the male and female. By making the slightest mistake you could lose both fish.

If sucessful you could end up with hundreds and hundreds of fry...what do you plan to do with all of them? If your fish are veiltails then people are unlikely to buy them.

How much room do you have? You'll need alot of tanks. A large one for the females (keep in mind that sometimes certain females won't get along which means you need even more aquariums), a couple smaller ones for the males, a small one for the fry, a grow-out tank (a 20-gallon is best), a couple breeding tanks (normally 10-gallons), and of course you need tanks for all the babies you keep.

I have a ton of great websites for you but I'm on vacation right now. I can post them when I get home tomorrow . Or on Monday, depending on how sleepy I am .

The best advise is to research a ton...especially about genetics and caring for the fry. And please don't just sell the babies to a petstore because who knows what'll happen to them then.

Good luck .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

i plan on selling them to the LFS as a last resort. i have friends that will take them free of charge of course. and there are many places like aquabid and other fish auction sites i was going to get an account on. i have researched the amount of space and how many fry i may have and i have can handle it. i am building a wall mounted shelving unit for the babies when its time to jar them. and have a utility shelve for the other tanks. for the tanks i am thinking of using Rubbermaid container (depends on its the heater is safe in there) i am planning on getting two breeding pairs of plakat bettas. they are a breed i have never seen other than on the Internet. they will be kept in two gallon jars and my breeding/spawning tank will be a 20 gallon Rubbermaid container. when its time to separate the males i will put them in jars or those plastic stack-able betta barracks. i just want two pairs of breeder bettas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Here is a pretty helpful website:

http://www.baker.ws/back.html

And this is another one:

http://www.bettysplendens.com

The second one is apparently closed right now, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

thanks. i think i am going to hold off on breeding them, but i am going to get two breeding pairs!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
thanks. i think i am going to hold off on breeding them, but i am going to get two breeding pairs!
Cool .

Just don't hold off too long since you really shouldn't breed bettas that are a year old or older .

~Stephanie

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

yup i know
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sasami said..."Betta breeding is very tricky and rough on both the male and female. By making the slightest mistake you could lose both fish."

"If sucessful you could end up with hundreds and hundreds of fry...what do you plan to do with all of them? If your fish are veiltails then people are unlikely to buy them."

"How much room do you have? You'll need alot of tanks. A large one for the females (keep in mind that sometimes certain females won't get along which means you need even more aquariums), a couple smaller ones for the males, a small one for the fry, a grow-out tank (a 20-gallon is best), a couple breeding tanks (normally 10-gallons), and of course you need tanks for all the babies you keep."

She sure does know what she is talking about!
It sure is a lot of work and time and of course research is a MUST!!
Even after breeding them one or both of the mated pair might be injured and they need to be tended to correctly to prevent infection. Hence one needs to have proper meds ready at hand for the fishes health and a good outcome. Feeding all the breeding pairs and fry is something to take seriously if one wants healthy fish. Live blood worms(whole) for adult bettas and chopped up ones for small fry is very good for them.

Lve Never Fails

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

yep, i have research throughly. i am deffinally going to breed. i am just holding off for a few months
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 01:52 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

great!! cant wait to see how it goes for you! Cant wait to see pics of the tiny fry!!

Lve Never Fails

Tags
blood worms, breeding pair