Breeding "Feeder" Guppies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Question Breeding "Feeder" Guppies

Last week, I bought a bunch of those tiny feeder guppies to give to Squishy. I think theyre pretty neat, and Squishy has tons of fun "hunting" them LOL, so i thought Id give breeding them a shot!
Ive had an already-cycled 5 1/2 gal sitting around from my old betta, so I put them all in there... I think i have about 10 adults, and a ton of babies already!
I took all the rocks out so its easier to clean too.

So I was wondering, do you think theyll be OK like this, or is my tank too small? I was just gonna feed some to Squishy when they get over crowded, but I could never find a definate number on how many I could keep in there. My water quality is live-able, but its not the best since I cant put a filter on there. Any other advice on them? I have to admit, Im really enjoying having them in that lil tank LOL! I feel bad when I feed them to Squish tho :C
Haha, Im such a dork! xD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Hello Earthling

I would think that a 5 1/2 gallon is to small for 10 adults plus numerous fry.

Move them into a bigger (cycled) tank if you have one available. If you do not have a larger tank a Rubbermaid (or other brand) storage tub also works.

Use a sponge filter or cover the intake of another type of filter (hang on back,internal etc...) with fine mesh to reduce the lose of fry. A heater is also useful to keep the water at a stable temperature, and in my experience the fry grow quicker is slightly warmer water.

Use live plants such as duckweed 9you can usually get it for free at any fish store), java moss of any other bushy or floating plant. This will provide shelter and food for the fry in the form of micro organisms. You could also use bunched up plastic plants also.

Other foods you could use include:
  • ground up fish flakes
  • boiled egg yolk
  • brine shrimp
  • store bought fry food

Good luck on with you new 'guppy farm'. If you do it right you'll be over run with guppies.If you continue to breed them over a period of time remember to add new fish every few months to add new genes to the pool.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks Kayla!
I cant put them in a bigger tank right now (I have to convince my mom they need more room LOL). I have some spare 10 gallons in my garage tho... If my mom acually lets me set one up, would one of those work? How many adults do you think I can safely keep in my 5 1/2 gal? I could always just feed some more of the males to my frog.
I dont have a tiny enough heater, so my tanks at about 68*F. Ill have to try to find that midget filter of mine...
Ive just been crumbling the fish flakes really tiny, but Ill look into some plants too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A tank is to hold one inch of fish per gal, so i would say about 6 adults. If possible you can put females in one tank and males in another

[/CENTER]

Tags
guppies breeding