breeding my bettas - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

breeding my bettas

Okay everyone wish me luck I am planning on putting my female betta with my male betta to spawn here in the next couple of days.

I have had them each in ten gallon tanks for the past two weeks. I've been conditioning them for breeding by gradually upping their temps to between 78 and 80 degrees F, doing 60-80% water changes every few days, and alternating between pellet foods, blood worms and brine shrimp for food. Now my female's so fat with eggs she looks like she's swallowed a marble and my male is building bubble nests every couple of days.

From what I've read the best way to do this is to change the water so it's really clean in the breeding tank, keeping it at around 78-80 degrees, placing lots of plants on one end and half a styrofoam cup on the other end. Then you put the male in, wait a while, and put the female in the tank but inside a container like a mason jar or something so that they see eachother but don't get at eachother. Then he's supposed build a bubble nest on the styrofoam cup and she's supposed to get vertical bars and start acting like she's not afraid of him.

When this happens I release her in the tank closest to the plants so she can hide if she wants to. When they're both ready they'll spawn for a couple of hours under the bubble nest which I'm supposed to watch carefully in case he gets too rough about it. Then I remove her back to her own happy tank.

Is this everyone else's understanding? Anyone have any other advice for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

do you have a plan for all the babies?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

yes. I have quite a few friends who all want one or two each and I have made arrangements with two very good aquatics stores that I love to take any remainders. Of course they have a lot of eggs but the hardest part of all this is getting all the little frye to live so there's no telling how many healthy betta I'll actually end up with.

From what I've read the difficult part is providing a variety of food that is small enough for them to eat. So I am going to my aquatics store to pick up some liquid frye food. I am growing my own protozoa and I am pulverizing some betta food. Maybe between those three I'll find something that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Are the plants you have live? Live plants are always good, especially for fry.

I hate to direct you away from here but there are a lot of great breeders at ultimatebettas.com. If you have questions about breeding you'll get more responses there. While I have a lot of experience with bettas (Anabantoids in general, actually) I've never bred them. I can't think of any active members on PT that do.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ok thanks I'll check it out. I do not currently have live plants. I know they have some real benefits but they make me a little nervous. First of all I've read some threads where people have accidentally introduced snails and parasites with their live plants. Second as many animals as I've managed to keep alive and breed I have never successfully kept a plant alive for more than two months.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:04 AM
RAT ADDICT

Good luck!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
blood worms, brine shrimp, female betta, male betta