Brine shrimp hatcher(ies) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Question Brine shrimp hatcher(ies)

Hi, I'm starting brine shrimp hatcheries for my betta fry but am not sure whether one hatchery will be sufficient.

The fry have to be fed about 3 times a day, and brine shrimp lasts in the hatchery for about 48 hours before losing most of it's nutritional value. The problem is that brine shrimp take about a day to hatch, so every other day, it seems, I will have to begin a new hatchery.

my question is can I add more eggs to the hatchery while there are still brine in there? or will I have to wait and use up all the brine in the hatchery before adding more eggs (and them having to set up a second hatchery so that I can feed my fry while the first hatchery is being prepared)?

P.S. for those that have read to my other post on selling betta fry, dont worry, the fry have a loving home with me in my fishroom (although if anyone still has any suggestions on selling fry please feel free to reply to that thread).I was pannicking when I was posting that thread so please dont think me an irresponsible person!

P.P.S I already have a microworm culture going, but I would also really appreciate suggestions on when to start feeding the bettas BBS (baby brine shrimp).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm not completely sure if you can add eggs after a batch has hatched. It seems like if you could then everyone would do it but most people rotate with microworms or have two batches set up at once.

Also, I wanted to let you know that the eggs won't hatch in 24 hours if they don't get enough light and heat. If you keep them in a cooler area with not a lot of light it could take days. I figured I'd mention that so you don't freak out if they don't hatch really quickly.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Arrow

Rotating with microworms is the best way to go.
Again here is a good link with lotz of info on rearing the fry....
what betta fry eat

Only 24 hour shrimp is nutritous because they still have their yolk sacs attached. Feed those as soon as you can because after a few days they will start dying. You can reuse the water many times until it starts to look cloudy.

Here is info on setting up the hatchery and harvesting the brine shrimp
hatching brine shrimpseir yolk sac cause they still have their yolk sac cause they still have their yolk sac

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I think i'll just alternate with microworms then!

Tags
brine shrimp