can melafix help heal cotton wool diseas in a betta? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

can melafix help heal cotton wool diseas in a betta?

I noticed my lil betta girl has symptom that look an awful lot like cotton wool. I think that if i got some melafix it would help get her better cause it says it helps get read of fungi infections. I just wanted to get some advise for people on here. I need to take care of this issue as quickly as I can so the problem does not get any worse.
its an API product and most of the time when I use their stuff its pretty good
But I figured asking here first would probably not hurt. She is in a brand new 5 gallon tank that I moved her to only a few days ago....she seemed so happy in the new big tank and then got sick i think she had early sysptoms of this earlier that I just did not notice. But I want to get on top of things now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Melafix just helps wounds heal, it doesn't treat infections. You need an actual anti-fungal medication. I would recommend Binox (by Jungle) because it also treats bacterial infections (and it's easy to misdiagnose infections). Just use a small dose the first time to see how your fish reacts to it, it's a strong medication. Aquarium salt is another thing you can use--sometimes salt helps with fungal infections.

Also make sure you're doing daily water changes and testing. Bettas usually end up with infections because of improper water conditions. If you don't have a test kit, bring a water sample into your local pet store.

One last thing...what's the water temperature?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

Melafix has tea tree oil in it though. and its an antibacterial and anti-fungal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins View Post
Melafix has tea tree oil in it though. and its an antibacterial and anti-fungal
Thats one of the reasons I thought it wouldn't hurt to try it out....but I also did notice that API makes a Fugus Cure medication which I might end up trying to see if it works. if the melafix dosn't work.
I am pretty sure the temperature in the tank is not at an aquite level I do have a heater but its 100 watt and I was a lil un sure if thats a good size for such a small tank as 5 gallon tank. if there is a better size for that kind of tank can you all please tell me what it might be? As well as what is a good filter system to look at for that size kind of tank too? I need to put in a new filter since my new one is not workng any more. If you all can help me answer those questions that would be amazingly helpful.
Thanks...will keep you all updated as I try to help my lil girl out more.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Melafix acts more as a preventative, not a cure. I do know that it kills certain bacteria but the list is limited. There's a reason that the same company also makes an actual medication. Either way, if an infection has progressed that far, you need to skip the Melafix and move on to stronger things.

A 100-watt heater seems a little big for a 5-gallon but you should have a thermometer, anyways, right? Just see what the temperature is. If it's good, keep the heater. If it's off, get a new one. My favorite heaters are Stealth heaters (by Marineland). As far as filters go, you don't have a lot of selections for a 5-gallon, sadly! Eclipse and Azoo make some nice small filters, I believe. There is also a Whisper filter designed for small tanks but it's a bit strong for some bettas.

It doesn't sound like your tank is cycled. And even if it was, it probably isn't now that the filter is broken. Get your water tested, you're probably experiencing spikes of some kind. Keep up on water changes, too.

Even with the right medications you won't be able to fight this infection unless you correct the other problems in the tank. Improper temperature, lack of filtration, ammonia spikes, etc. can all make fish susceptible to infections.

Good luck and keep us updated!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I am gonna try to get some better medication as soon as I can as well as make sure I can keep up with the water conditions as much as I can.
I think I am mostly having issues cause I have never had to deal with a larger tank before I am going to try and do as much as I can to make the tank a good place for the fish. I will feel bad if she does not make it but.....if not I will just try harder to make it work with my next fish. I mean I am trying to do the most I can right now to make it work.

I think I am certainly going to try to do the most I can to correct the conditions to something better for a fish. I know have seen those PH level tests in stores before and I think the other thing I have heard of is ammonia test would you guys recommend i get stuff like that? and if so is there anything else I should look into for keeping around my place. to keep the tank in the best condition possilbe? Thanks for all the helpful info guys hopefully I can correct my mistakes.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I am gonna try to get some better medication as soon as I can as well as make sure I can keep up with the water conditions as much as I can.
I think I am mostly having issues cause I have never had to deal with a larger tank before I am going to try and do as much as I can to make the tank a good place for the fish. I will feel bad if she does not make it but.....if not I will just try harder to make it work with my next fish. I mean I am trying to do the most I can right now to make it work.

I think I am certainly going to try to do the most I can to correct the conditions to something better for a fish. I know have seen those PH level tests in stores before and I think the other thing I have heard of is ammonia test would you guys recommend i get stuff like that? and if so is there anything else I should look into for keeping around my place. to keep the tank in the best condition possilbe? Thanks for all the helpful info guys hopefully I can correct my mistakes.
hey i was looking at Azoo filters and I was kind of wanting to ask some advise on something I I really think I like the Sponge Filters...but I also noticed the mignon skimmer hang on back filter....just for advise sake which ones of these filters on this website: http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CCwQrQQwAw
would you personally recommend, personally I still think I like the sponge filters but I thought it could hurt to get other opinions on the matter
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

They sell test kits that have tests for all the basic water parameters--pH, hardness, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. If you can find something like that you'll have all the tests you need .

The only other thing I can suggest is Tetra SmartStart (previously called BioSpira). It'll cycle the tank for you . Which would probably be great for you since a 5-gallon is a rather tricky size to properly cycle! It's basically beneficial bacteria in a bottle, haha.

Sponge filters are ok but are very basic and don't chemically filter or anything. They're used more in fry tanks. If you can, I'd try to get a HOB filter. They're much more customizable, you can add filter media that'll help your specific tank . They don't tend to require as much cleaning, either.

~Stephanie

Tags
cotton wool, melafix