Changing over from golfish - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Changing over from golfish

I may be a little premature in this, but I was wondering what steps I would need to take in changing a former goldfish tank over to a tank suitable for other common freshwater fish? And what type of economy filter is best?I've heard bio-wheel is the way to go. I don't think my daughter's goldie is gonna make it, so I'm trying to plan ahead a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Hello Earthling

Well to change a cold water goldfish tank to a tropical tank all you'll need is a heater and thermometer.

Since your current fish is ill I would empty the whole tank and clean all the equipment (NO SOAP).

Set the tank back up and let it cycle. Their is fish less cycling and cycling with fish, there is a sticky at the top of this forum.

For filters it depends what you want to go with; internal, external, hang on back.

For a tropical tank (I am assuming that's what you want) you could keep;
  • betta
  • tetras
  • male guppies
  • african dwarf frogs
  • snails
  • shrimp
  • live plants

Do your research first before going out to purchase them to assure you have what they need and if you are going a mixed spices tank they are compatible.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My favorite filter is the Hagen AquaClear. You can add different kinds of filter media (carbon, phosphate removers, filter floss, etc.) which makes it very effective. It's also pretty inexpensive. The BioWheel filters are pretty good but don't last as long--the wheel can stop turning.

For tropical fish, you'll need a heater and thermometer so you can keep the temperature in the mid to high 70's. However, another option is a coldwater community tank. There aren't as many fish to choose from, but you won't need a heater. For a tank like that, I'd get white cloud minnows. They are small, active schooling fish that come in a few varieties and are very hardy (and cheap--I've gotten them for less than a dollar). Rosy red minnows (often sold as feeders, like goldfish) are also cheap (I get them for ten cents) and easy to care for.

Some other coldwater fish (or fish that can tolerate cool temperatures) that are commonly sold are bloodfin tetras (a school of just those would be gorgeous), rosy barbs, guppies, weather loaches, and zebra danios.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
goldfish tank conversion