Closed the pond - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Closed the pond

I decided it was time to close the pond up today and count how many fish I had left after the first season on pond ownership.

I managed to catch 21 minnows and 1 goldfish. I think that there are skill some minnow in the last bit of water I left (had to go to dinner) so I am going to try catching any stranglers tomorrow.

I was hoping that the other 3 goldfish would have survived but they either committed suicide or just vanished, but the remaining one is looking good

I brought 12 of the minnows in and put them in the new crayfish tank. Harold (the cray fish) managed to catch one of the minnow as soon as I put them in which I feel kinda bad about but the rest of them are just going to have to swim faster and hide better, and also stay away from the crayfish which shouldn't be hard in a big tank.

The rest are still outside in the tub pond which will be brought in sometime next weekend or possibly tomorrow, whenever I get time to do it and my arm isn't hurting (emptying close to 140 gallons of water by hand is not fun, especially when the water is more then ice cold.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Betta Bomb

Some people here insert heaters for the winter, I know Canadian winters can get quite bitter! My sister's friend used to keep a pond over winter by covering it and the fish would go into a sort of semi-state like hibernation...
I personally would take them in!! Are you planning on re-doing it up in the spring again?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Some people here insert heaters for the winter, I know Canadian winters can get quite bitter! My sister's friend used to keep a pond over winter by covering it and the fish would go into a sort of semi-state like hibernation...
I personally would take them in!! Are you planning on re-doing it up in the spring again?

I believe that a pond here needs to be at least 4 feet deep to winter fish outdoors. A heater might have worked by I prefer to not take the chance of them freezing to death outside.

I do plan on setting it back up in the spring

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Just so you know, the crayfish will probably keep snagging them. Couldn't you just keep them in another container or something? They're pretty hardy and don't need a heater so it should be easy to rig something up .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Betta Bomb

Minnows supplied my turtles well for a bit before. I would not mind if it was me, a seasonal treat for the crayfish. . . . Unless, of course, you do not want them dead by freezing or predator!! lol
Also, cant wait to see the pics in the spring
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Just so you know, the crayfish will probably keep snagging them. Couldn't you just keep them in another container or something? They're pretty hardy and don't need a heater so it should be easy to rig something up .
Setting up another container isn't really possible since my parents don't want a bunch of water-things everywhere. I don't really mind if they get eaten as its the circle of life and the tank is big enough that they can stay well away from Harold. Battle of the smartest fish. He hasn't caught anymore so far.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Minnows (assuming you have the common "feeder" type minnows?) are rich in thiaminase so make sure you change his diet appropriately if he starts eating more (don't feed him krill and shrimp at the same time, for example). A lot of people don't know about that problem so I figured I'd point it out, apologies if you're already aware .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Minnows (assuming you have the common "feeder" type minnows?) are rich in thiaminase so make sure you change his diet appropriately if he starts eating more (don't feed him krill and shrimp at the same time, for example). A lot of people don't know about that problem so I figured I'd point it out, apologies if you're already aware .

His staple is actually algae tablets and he also eats the water crest which I also brought in from the pond.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Try giving him an earthworm some time, they go nuts!

~Stephanie

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Try giving him an earthworm some time, they go nuts!
I did give him an earthworm and he murdered it then spent about 10 minutes cleaning his feet/gripping hand things/

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Newborn Pup

They love earthworms.

Got Fish:
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Part of the Pack

haha they LOOOVE earthworms! its so fun watching them beg for it if I could have crayfish, i would! fun little guys.