Cloudy fish tank - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Cloudy fish tank

I really hope someone has a good answer for me. Yesterday and today have not been to good with my fish tank all thanx to my stupidity.

Well, if you read my other thread then you would know that yesterday I cleaned out my tank and found a dead fish...eww! Well yesterday I had bought some sand for my hermit crabs and thought I'd be able to use it for my fish tank as well.......WRONG! Very very wrong!

It was so crazy cloudy and it just wouldn't settle so I kept the fish out in a seperate pail through the night and thought that by morning it would be clear. Well I was wrong and soon realized that since the sand is so fine and the filter hits the sand that it was never going to settle. So I removed all the sand and put in gravel and then waited hours for the remaining sand to clear. Well it's not and I don't know what to do.

I already lost one fish and I was afraid of losing more so the fish are now in a cloudy tank. I feel so bad. Why did I have to be so stupid? I also lost one of my baby mollies. I had them in a seperate container and I didn't think they'd be able to jump out, but one did and it was way too late when I noticed. I'm so upset. I don't want to lose anymore fish and I don't want my tank cloudy. It's not just a little bit cloudy either, it's really bad, I can only see about 1 inch into the tank. Can someone please help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am so sorry for your losses

I am not sure how your fish would do, but I did have a similair problem when trying to use sand (as recomended my the "fish guy") and I had to completely clean my tank...I had to get new rocks and rinse out my tank really well...my fish did fine, I put some stress coat in as well as the water conditioners and never had a problem after that. Oh I also completely took my filter apart and cleaned it big time to make sure that I got all the sand out...I know there will be other people who will respond with better solutions then me but that is what I did...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I am allergic to maths

sounds like the best way to go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I have been cleaning the filter every couple of hours to get the sand out and I'm using to carbon filters to try and make the process faster. When I cleaned the tank I had done a 60% water change so I don't think I can change more of the water. It's looking a little bit better this morning, but still not too great. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and eventually it will be better. This totally sux!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Hello Earthling

Try removing the filter so the sand settles.

What type of sand is it?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
is a little "special"

Nikko, its normal for sand to cloud up your water when you first put it in if you didnt soak it first. What you usually want to do when you add new sand to a tank it saok in a bucket of water for 24 hours so it settles, and you can pour out the water that has the "dusty" stuff that didnt settle.
The first time I put sand in Squishys tank, I forgot to soak it, and it clouded up my water for at least a week... Turn off you filter, cuz that only stirs it up more, and test your water. If your water tests fine, you can put your fish back in, and just add some stress coat. I put Squishy back in his tank when it was still cloudy, and he was perfectly fine.
If you do still wanna add sand to your tank, soak it, and take the water out of your tank (Just pouring it in doesnt work so well). When the sand is in and you are pouring the water back, put something like a latge tupperware container lid on the sand to pour the water on to, so it doesnt stir up the sand. That way the water doesnt get cloundy.
Hope I helped!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree with what Jess said if it's just dirt cloudy.

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

But the sand said it was prewashed so I figured it would be fine. The tank looks a lot better today, I think in two days it'll be totally clear. I think I'll just leave the rocks in it until I can get some bigger grit sand.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It'll clear on it's own, that's completely normal, especially since it sounds like you didn't rinse the sand first.

If you ever decide to try sand again (it's actually very nice once set up), rinse the sand thoroughly beforehand. When you add it, do it very slowly and turn off all filters and powerheads until it's at least mostly settled.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I originally had sand in it, but a different kind, I think it was sandblasting sand, but I wanted more sand so when I had bought this sand for my hermies I decided to put some in the fish tank too. It said the sand was washed already so I didn't wash it myself. I'll deffinitely put sand in again, but a different kind, not such a fine grit kind.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
I originally had sand in it, but a different kind, I think it was sandblasting sand, but I wanted more sand so when I had bought this sand for my hermies I decided to put some in the fish tank too. It said the sand was washed already so I didn't wash it myself. I'll deffinitely put sand in again, but a different kind, not such a fine grit kind.
Even if it says "pre-washed", you'll still want to wash it, believe me .

Try getting sand that's made for aquariums, maybe? I can't say I've bought sand like that, though--I always used play sand for my freshwater tanks. Play sand takes ages to clean, though, haha.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."