Cloudy Water - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Question Cloudy Water

My water clouds up just a couple of days after I do my weekly tank changes. It just started a couple of weeks ago so I'm not sure what spurred the change. I'm running the Emporor 440 for filtration. I currently have around 25 fish total: mostly mollies, a couple of angels, guppies, tetras, etc.

I've read a couple of posts where it might be the pH but was unclear why. I'm not sure what other cause would be and I'll do a battery of tests tonight when I get home. I'm just fishing for some ideas of what to check.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 08:22 PM

Too much food may be sinking to the bottom and being left un-eaten. You may want to get a few bottom feeders.

Check your filter for possible clogs near the propellers, etc.

Wait a few days. I know that sometimes my aquarium will be pretty cloudy for even a week then suddenly, will clear up in a day.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 01:39 AM

When was the last time you:
Changed your media (not all of it at once)?
Vacumed your gravel?

How much of a water change do you do? 10%? 20%? or is it more?

Also how many gallons is your tank? Your numbers are fine for a 30+ tank, but if it is less then that you are going to continue with the blooms. Especially when your mollies or guppies breed. I'm not sure why the chemistry in the tank changes when they have babies, but i noticed that the 'white cloud tank' happened when ever they spit out their spawn. I fixed it by moving up to a larger tank. Larger tanks are less work anyway you look at it.

PS bottom feeder are great little helpers, but don't add them till you have balanced out your tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Red face Cloudy Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by odette
When was the last time you:
Changed your media (not all of it at once)?
Vacumed your gravel?
I did a 40% 2 weeks agoa b/c it was so cloudy and another 20% last weekend. When I looked lengthwise down the tank I could barely see the plants at the other end. I vacuum my gravel everytime (I use a Python), and since I moved from Cichlids (oscars, jack dempsey, and firemouth) to my current set up, the amount of waste food and from fish has been minimal. I changed my Filter media about 3 weeks ago, I noticed the problem shortly after. I added new carbon to the basket at that time and didn't get it rinsed enough but that cleared up within an hour. I took those plastic baskets out last week with the tank change and replaced them with the padded front filters, so know I have four of those type of filters in there, that seemed to help.

Quote:
How much of a water change do you do? 10%? 20%? or is it more?
I usually change 20% every week unless there is some specific problem, like above when I did the 40%. I just had a ?school? of fry from the mollies so I'm limited to 10% or so while they're in the fry net. (It mounts to the side of the tank so I can't do much about it. I anticipate doing two a week to make up the difference, plus I heard it will help the fry grow faster.

Quote:
Also how many gallons is your tank? Your numbers are fine for a 30+ tank, but if it is less then that you are going to continue with the blooms. Especially when your mollies or guppies breed. I'm not sure why the chemistry in the tank changes when they have babies, but i noticed that the 'white cloud tank' happened when ever they spit out their spawn. I fixed it by moving up to a larger tank. Larger tanks are less work anyway you look at it.

PS bottom feeder are great little helpers, but don't add them till you have balanced out your tank.
We have a 55 gallon tank. The white cloud happened about a week before we switched the tank from cichlids to smaller more active fish. Initially I thought it was just added waste from the cichlids.

I did a partial yesterday morning and it's still cloud free, so we'll se how long it last. It usually comes back within a few days. I didn't get a chance to test the water yesterday, but will do it tonight. The tank cycle is up and running and balanced out, but I'm not sure about the pH. I have one of those seachem ammonia alerts that hangs in the tank, so I know the ammonia is at safe levels. I'm sure the tank cycle is complete b/c our tap water has ammonia in it, not sure whether it's from the pipes or the local water, but it's there, so everytime I do the partial the ammonia thing goes to "Alert" but then back to "Safe" after a short time.

What kind of bottom feeders do you recommend with my current stock? I don't want to overstock my tank so I'm trying to be careful. Currently we have a snail, bala shark, and frog that all eat off of the bottom, but I'm not sure to what extent. We don't intend to catch anymore of the molly mommies to prevent overstocking, we figure that if a couple of fry make it they'll just replace the ones that die over time from illness, age, etc. We'll probably have one ?school? of fancy tail guppies, since we currently only have one male and one female and they're very pretty, and we MIGHT catch the female pineapple swordtail if she ever gets pregnant just for the diversity (again we only have one male and one female), but that will depend on the current fish levels at the time.

Thanks and I look forward to continued feedback.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 12:00 PM

It could still be the added waste from the cichlids, it might just take some time for it to balance out. You should start to see the white cloud start to take longer to develop, until you get to a point that it doesn't happen anymore. Think of it as the first time set up your tank.

I would recommend a school of 3-6 ottocinclis'. They stay at less then 1-1 1/2" they will also work the sides and ornaments/plants. They are more active as a school and are very hardy. The bonus to them is they won't bug anybody and everyone else seems to leave them alone. Unlike a pleco

Last edited by odette; 11-04-2005 at 12:02 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

I've never heard of "ottocinclis" are they similar to cory cats? I don't think our lfs carries them is there another fish you can recommend? I tried to find some pictures to see if I've ever seen them but haven't had any luck.

Thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 02:51 PM

sounds like you lost some bacteria.
unless you have drift wood.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

That's a good possibility. I don't have driftwood so it could be a loss of bacteria. The Emperor has bio-wheels so I'm not sure how it would happen, but it's definately possible and starting to look very probable.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHead
I've never heard of "ottocinclis" are they similar to cory cats? I don't think our lfs carries them is there another fish you can recommend? I tried to find some pictures to see if I've ever seen them but haven't had any luck.

Thanks
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile76.html

Here is the Otto.

I was talking to my co-workers today and they suggest rideing it out with closer but smaller water changes. They are thinking along the lines that the bacteria's in your tank had to work ten times harder to keep up with the cichlids but now they don't, So you are getting blooms of it. This will effect your hardness AND your PH. If you want you can try doing 15% changes the day you see the cloud start to form over the next two weeks. You should start to notice that the cloud will take longer to develop therefore the changes will go back to normal maintance.
Good luck ~O
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank's Odette. I'll plan on more frequent changes for a while. I'll keep a close eye on my pH, Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites for a while.

Thanks again.

Tags
cory cats, tap water