Cotton Mouth?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Cotton Mouth??

Hi peeps,

I have a platy with what i believe is cotton mouth. I've tested the water (no problems) and dosed with Interpets Anti Fungus and Finrot (after water change) but it still doesn't seem to be improving.

does anyone have any suggestions? , or know how long to wait before i can redose with the AF&F??

None of the other fish seem to have symptoms but i want to get it cleared up as we're now up to 4 adults and 8 babies, plus 7 danios.

thanks in advance for help!

sam
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Did you test nitrates?

I would do daily water changes and try Binox Extra Strength Bacteria and Fungus Treatment. It's by Jungle...I don't know if you have it in the UK?

We don't have Interpets here so I can't advise you on that. Could you tell me what's in it? Maybe we have something similar.

Are you treating the platy seperately? If not then remember to remove any activated carbon from your filter. Though I would really seperate the platy if possible since Columnaris is contagious.

Adding aquarium salt will help if you don't already add it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeap... tested EVERYTHING i could think of! All fine.

I dont think we have the Bonox stuff...... The Interpet stuff contains:
phenoxyethanol (sp?)

The carbon filter is out, and i'm doing the water changes as much as i can, but i cant separate her as i have no where to put her.

I've also added the aquarium salt, but nothing seems to help shift the disease!! I guess i'm off to do another water change tonight then!

Thanks though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Ah, ok. It's too bad you don't have Binox...it's good stuff.

Anyways, you vacuum the gravel when you do water changes, right? Just making sure . Since that will of course help a lot.

What temperature is the water? Columnaris thrives in high temperatures. It also likes enviroments with low oxygen so you could try adding an air stone or lowering the water level a bit (so the filter creates more of a splash). What kind of filter do you have? A hang-on-back power filter?

Do you have Maracyn and Maracyn Two available in the UK? Using both would be effective . I've seen Malachite Green recommended too but don't know much about it.

The best treatment would probably be an anti-parasite food...if you can get the fish to eat it, lol. That can be the hard part. Is the platy still eating?

Columnaris can be tricky to beat but it can be done. Just don't give up yet .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

yeap... been vacuuming the gravel too :-(
the water temp is about 22 degs c i think... i'll double check and let you know!
oxygen is okay... splashing filter!
um type of filter?? a fluval internal one

The name Maracyn doesn't ring a bell, but i'll keep an eye out for it.

The platy was trying to eat but is being bullied/kept away a bit by the others.

I looked at her earlier and the white around her mouth seems to have gone a bit, but she's still loitering at the surface lots and didnt eat anything from what i could see. i think we got it too late. i'm keeping a very close eye on her, but not really expecting her to survive :-(

Thanks again for the help!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I wish I could help you more with meds but I'm just not familar with UK ones =/.

You can use tweezers to hand-feed her. Or you could feed the fish on the side of the tank away from the platy. While they are distracted sneak the platy some food. She needs to be eating to keep her strength up. Frozen foods would probably be better then plain flakes.

The most you can do at this point is to hand-feed her and keep up on water changes. Unless you find one of the meds I mentioned...I'm going to do some research and see if I can find out what you have available in the UK.

How old is she? Livebearers sometimes get columnaris when they're old and close to the end of their lifespan . Or so I've read, anyway.

Just remember to keep an eye out on the other fishies just in case they catch it too.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Hi !

She didn't survive overnight

I'm keeping a close eye on the others in case they start to develop anything but it cleared up just before she died. i think it was just too much for her in the end.

I'll do another water change tonight to make sure there is nothing nasty lingering in the tank.

We still have two pregnant females and 8 babies though!

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sorry for your loss .

~Stephanie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!

Its sad because we'd only had her for about 2 months, but she's had babies in that time, so thats a bit happier.

The others all seem fine thank goodness. Hopefully i won't have any more get ill soon!

Tags
aquarium salt