Decided to set up my tank - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Decided to set up my tank

Well about 2 years ago after all my fish had died I put my tank away. Now I've decided to set it up again, but I don't remember everything about setting it up. How long are you supposed to wait before getting fish? Can you put plants in right away or should you wait too? Any other advise would be great.

I have it set up between my couch and loveseat

It's cloudy right now and I haven't bought a picture thingy for behind the tank yet, but I really like where I set it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 04:15 PM

I like where you put it!! When you put the fish in there all depends on where you are in cycling. You can start putting just some fishfood in there to get it going and I think after awhile you can put a snail in there. I'm not exactly what the readings are suppose to be, but there are old threads that have them included. Good luck!!
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You have to cycle the tank first...do a search for "fishless cycling" and you'll find tons of info . Or you could just buy some Bio-Spira...you add fish at the same time you add it. You'd probably have to order it online...I've gotten it here twice: http://www.fishstoretn.com/bio_spira.html. Don't get anything else...there are many similar products on the market but most don't do anything.

Your tank is cycled when you have no signs of ammonia or nitrites for a few days (after the tank has been running for a little while). Then you can slowly add fish .

It's fine to add plants right away...it'll help the tank cycle faster, actually. Another way to speed things up is to use filter media and/or gravel from an established tank.

What are you thinking of getting?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I used the same sand that I used two years ago, lol, I still had it. I just cleaned it REALLY well. I have never tested for ammonia or nitrites before how do you do this?

I have no idea what kind of fish I'll get, there's not a whole lot to choose from in my town. If I want other one's I have to drive an hour away. I'll let you know what I choose.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I hate double posting, but it won't let me edit.
My fiance really wants to get a Kuhli Loach and I was wondering if anyone else has them and what other fish can be with them?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko
I used the same sand that I used two years ago, lol, I still had it. I just cleaned it REALLY well. I have never tested for ammonia or nitrites before how do you do this?

I have no idea what kind of fish I'll get, there's not a whole lot to choose from in my town. If I want other one's I have to drive an hour away. I'll let you know what I choose.
You have to get a test kit at a petstore (avoid the strips, they are inaccurate). You'll at least want a test kit for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH.

Quote:
I hate double posting, but it won't let me edit.
My fiance really wants to get a Kuhli Loach and I was wondering if anyone else has them and what other fish can be with them?
Kuhlis are pretty peaceful so most fish will be fine with them. Just make sure the loach has plenty of hiding spots .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
You have to get a test kit at a petstore (avoid the strips, they are inaccurate). You'll at least want a test kit for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH.

Kuhlis are pretty peaceful so most fish will be fine with them. Just make sure the loach has plenty of hiding spots .
Thanx for the info!

I set up the rocks now and added some real and some fake plants. What do you all think?

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Looking good . I love tanks with sand.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Will It Ever Change?

that looks so awesome!!! i love tanks with rocks

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Looking good . I love tanks with sand.
We love sand too. When we set up our 55 gal we just bought a couple bags of playground sand. We like the look better and it is alot cheaper than the gravel.

Your tank looks great!!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx everyone! I like it too.

My brother used clean sandblasting sand for like 5 years in his huge aquarium and I loved the look of it so he gave some to me a few years ago.

I want to get some fish this weekend, but I'm not sure if I'll get around to it, I work till 1 in the morning during the week so I'd have to buy them on Saturday, but I'm going wedding dress shopping again and this time I HAVE to choose one so I might have to wait until next Saturday for fish. That sux!
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:46 AM

Well at least it will be that much more cycled
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Thanx everyone! I like it too.

My brother used clean sandblasting sand for like 5 years in his huge aquarium and I loved the look of it so he gave some to me a few years ago.

I want to get some fish this weekend, but I'm not sure if I'll get around to it, I work till 1 in the morning during the week so I'd have to buy them on Saturday, but I'm going wedding dress shopping again and this time I HAVE to choose one so I might have to wait until next Saturday for fish. That sux!
I wouldn't get fish just yet...you want the tank to be cycled first. If you absolutely must get a fish then get one small, hardy one. And keep up on water changes since the ammonia will be very harmful.

But really, it's not a good idea to put fish in an uncycled tank. If you don't want to wait for the tank to cycle then get some Bio-Spira .

~Stephanie

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx for that info, I'll get fish later then, maybe next weekend.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

In the meantime make sure to get a test kit and start adding fish food so you can start the cycle. Unless you plan on using Bio-Spira .

~Stephanie

Tags
bigger tank, cherry barbs, fish food, neon tetras