Did a big fishie nono... :P - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Did a big fishie nono... :P

So i did one of the big fishie nono's today, i added 31 guppies to my tank all at once. i know not good! But i can explain!

Last week our very last male guppy started to look a bit sick, same symptoms as the last ones, i think he was just too old. so yeah.. he hung in there awhile and finally died yesterday (he will be missed )
But when he started to look a bit off, i posted a message on a local message board site asking if anyone had any guppies or fish to give away, since we would then have 2 mostly empty tanks (besides the pleco we bought last week) So anyway, this guy writes me back saying he has some. but hes an hour away. So we were kinda going back and forth on if it was worth the hour trip. we finally decided to go today (we did some other things while we were over there so we didnt jus go for the fish lol. ) But it was totally worth it, See i was thinking it would be someone who bought a few guppies at the petstore and didnt know they breed like crazy, or didnt care, and they would jus like scoop out some random ones and be like here ya go. But he brought us like 30 guppies all different sizes and he actually knew what kinds they were, which was insanely impressive to me, for someone around here. one was cobra.. forget what the other was, i'll think of it.. lol anyway I guess he had been breeding the different kinds for quiet awhile, he said he was slowly switching out to some different kinds so let him know if we wanted anymore, He also brought us 9 snails, he said there apple snails, and they breed like crazy, which is cool cuz i love snails and there kinda a purple color which makes them even cooler. there all kinda small, the smallest one being a little bigger than our largerst pond snail, and the biggest being maybe half an inch or 3/4, but he said he has some that are as big as golf balls. cool. there soo cool. you can see there lil eyes lol. Anyway, they had a long trip and i really just wanted to get them in a tank once we got home, so i just put them all in the 29gallon with the pleco. so that tank went from being nearly empty to over stocked. not good i know. Tomorrow i will do a water change first thing. and im gonna try and start sexing some of them and putting the males in the 10gallon tank. some of them are still pretty small. not baby-baby but young. theres one female that is huge, like long huge and also for sure pregnant. there is 4 i would say for sure are pregnant, and im sure theres more that are since being in with the guys. Should be interesting. I'm worried about my tanking being stocked so quickly, will prolly test the water and do a water change tomorrow. im hoping theres more males then i think there is. i know of 3 or 4 for sure. but we have a 5 gallon and a 55gallon tank waiting to be set up if we need it. Im so excited to have baby guppies again lol and full tanks, its been awhile lol.
I guppies
And purple snails lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Playful Pup

Haha that sounds cool, i love guppies too although i currently don't have any. I have 3 sunset platy and 2 anglefish. On Monday i'm going to get a new tank because i've had this one since i was 8 when i first started keeping fish ... and well ... the tanks had it lol. So maybe i'll buy some guppies once i've sorted the tank out and let it settle etc.
In my pet store near me there are zebra snails so i may get a couple of those. I don't mind biggish snails in my tank but when you get the little crappy ones that just infest your tank, their the ones i hate lol, they get everywhere!
So congrats on all your soon to be baby guppies
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats, can't wait for pictures!

Guppies can be pretty sensitive to ammonia so I would be doing frequent (not daily) water changes to make sure you don't get any spikes. If you can, throw in one of those bacteria-based products like SmartStart and/or some live plants .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

There were some green leaves floating on top of the dish he brought the guppies in, I think it may be duckweed. and possibly a small piece of wisteria. I havent put it in the tank yet, jus scooped it out in a cup. I sent him an email asking if thats what it is. and im debating weather or not to add it to the 29gal tank. I think its pretty, but ive heard alot of people say its really hard to get rid of once you have it. Any thoughts?
I wish i had some live plants i could put in. No one sells them locally, besides walmart of course, and theres all look dead and none are ever marked what there supposed to be. They do sell those little plant bulbs, 2 in a pack in the fish section, have you ever had any luck with those? i guess your just supposed to drop them in. might be worth trying.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:27 AM
Hello Earthling

I don't find duckweed hard to get rid of...at all. It seems to disappear on its own.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff View Post
There were some green leaves floating on top of the dish he brought the guppies in, I think it may be duckweed. and possibly a small piece of wisteria. I havent put it in the tank yet, jus scooped it out in a cup. I sent him an email asking if thats what it is. and im debating weather or not to add it to the 29gal tank. I think its pretty, but ive heard alot of people say its really hard to get rid of once you have it. Any thoughts?
I wish i had some live plants i could put in. No one sells them locally, besides walmart of course, and theres all look dead and none are ever marked what there supposed to be. They do sell those little plant bulbs, 2 in a pack in the fish section, have you ever had any luck with those? i guess your just supposed to drop them in. might be worth trying.
Duckweed grows like, well, a weed . But I don't find it hard to get rid of, I just scoop it out.

Those bulbs are kinda hit or miss, I would put them in a separate tank until they sprout just in case you get one that's dead (it'll rot).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
fishies, guppies, guppy soup