Dinosaur Eel - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Dinosaur Eel

Does anyone know anything about dinosaur eels AKA bicher eels AKA bicher dinosaur eels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 06:10 PM

All i remember is bichers are often aggressive and grow large so i would seriously stay away unless you have a very large tank with predatory fish in it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I've actually already gotten one... His name is Jacques and he's just in a five gallon right now but I'm moving in a couple of months and I'm going to get him at least a fifteen gallon... Right now he's in there with a striped raphael and a pleco. The pleco is bigger than the eel and I got him after the eel.

Do you know what they eat? I've just been feeding brine shrimp and bloodworms, but I didn't know if there were any other kinds of frozen food that he would like. He really likes the bloodworms. I've also fed a few live ghost shrimp and he seems to like them pretty well.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

By the way, the betta in your pic looks like my betta, Sharkbait.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 10:07 PM

Lol sharkbait, what a name. Yeah that betta is over 2yrs old, he's a grampa of the bunch(i have 3 more bettas).
When i say big tank i mean atleast a 80 gallon. As for bloodworms, i haven't yet met a fish that doesn't like them! But feeding them too often can cause bloat if the fish isn't highly carniverous. I will look further into your fish. But my question is why didn't you research the fish first? For me, even though i know most species, i will still research them b/c over 85% of the fish you see sold in stores are babies or juvies. A fish like a common plecostomus are sold VERY young at 2 inches when they're adult size will be over 12 inches.
Just its good to always be prepared. :
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:43 AM
Herp Nerd

I've kept them in the past. Bichir can hit a foot or larger. The most common I see for sale, the Senegal Bichir, can get to 16 inches. Other species can easily exceed 30 inches. They are predatory so will likely eat any fish smaller than they are. While they like blood worms, should be really fed a variety of stuff - earthworms, silversides, cockles, shrimp... just about anything meaty and the right size will do. They are not actually a species of eel, they're related to the ropefish.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Playful Pup

My favorite thing to feed them is Crickets don't know why I guess I just like seeing them swim to the top and dragging them to the bottom.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Resident Zoologist

I have kept hundreds of bichirs over the past 16 years...primitive fish are my specialty.

What species of bichir do you have? The place that I have seen them referred to as 'dinosaur eels' most commonly is PetsMart, and I have seen them carry only Polypterus senegalus and Polypterus ornatipinnis. There is a huge difference in the eventual adult size of the two species...P. senegalus can reach as much as 20" (although 12"-14" is far more common), and P. ornatipinnis can manage 28" (and most average between 20"-24")....and as Ravnos mentioned, a P. endlicheri congicus can hit 40".

Bear in mind that these fish need to breach frequently (they need to gulp atmospheric air to survive), so make sure that they have room at the top to do so, but that the aquarium is secure, as jumps out of the aquarium are prevented (any opening can be a risk).

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Knight View Post
My favorite thing to feed them is Crickets don't know why I guess I just like seeing them swim to the top and dragging them to the bottom.
Try earthworms some time (just make sure the worms come from somewhere that is 100% pesticide-free)....I have yet to see anything that bichirs love more than earthworms.

Aquarist since 1971

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Playful Pup

Thats an Idea im going to have to try. Just thinking about it I went fishing today while I was out there I snatched up some minnows I wonder if he will go for them like the crickets. They stay at the top of the tank but one problem, fast they're very fast. I seen him jolt up before but those suckers can move.

X-Mas Wishlist

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 AM
Resident Zoologist

Bear in mind that by using live, wild-caught fish as food, you do pose a small risk of introducing illnesses/parasites.

Aquarist since 1971

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
Bear in mind that by using live, wild-caught fish as food, you do pose a small risk of introducing illnesses/parasites.
I didn't happen to think about that, not much of a fish expert mainly just a beginner but I been picking up one or two new things a day. Im going to probably stick with crickets and worms for know unless you may know of any other healthier foods to feed her. before I started using crickets I was using shrimp pellets but I think that was actually making Nocta (Bicher) ill. Not to mention 4 out of the seven goldfish I had, started winding up dead.
Since you clearly know way more than I do, I was wondering if their maybe could of been a link to the pellets and the fish becoming ill?

X-Mas Wishlist

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Knight View Post
Since you clearly know way more than I do, I was wondering if their maybe could of been a link to the pellets and the fish becoming ill?
Bichirs are pigs...it is possible that Nocta over ate and suffered for it, but I doubt that the pellets were directly responsible.

Previously-frozen minnows are usually quite fine feeders....I buy mine from the Asian grocery, the local fish shop, and even in tubs from the local places that sell fishing bait. What you want in your bichir's diet is variety....minnows, earthworms, frogs, insects, even pellets [Mine love Hikari sinking carnivore pellets and New Life Spectrum pellets (see pics below of the various formulae and sizes that I use)].

http://nlsfishfood.com/images/images/cichlasoma.png
http://nlsfishfood.com/images/images/lgfish.png
http://nlsfishfood.com/images/images/therajumbo.png
http://nlsfishfood.com/images/images/theralg.png
http://nlsfishfood.com/images/images/mega.png

Aquarist since 1971

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Playful Pup

Well she seems to be doing fine now roaming around the tank as usual, I was thinking about adding canned mussels to her diet but Im not for sure if thats a good idea. Anyways you given me plenty of things for her to eat and have a healthier life thanks.

X-Mas Wishlist

Tags
blood worms, brine shrimp, ghost shrimp