Do female bettas build bubble nests? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Do female bettas build bubble nests?

Ok, so you guys know that I'm a betta addict but I'm new to female bettas (I've only had males in the past). Well my new female Scarlette, who is in a divided tank with Libby (male) seems to have built a bubble nest! At first I thought that the bubbles could have drifted over from Libby's side, but I don't see how that could happen. It really looks like she made it herself. Also, she seems really fat. Does that mean she has eggs in her? If anyone has more details on betta gals, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 03:43 PM

Some females DO build bubblenests, interestingly enough. It's also a slight possibility that you got yourself a very juvenile male Betta. I have had both of these happen.

Her plumpness may be that you've overfed her a bit or that she's full of eggs. I'm leaning towards the latter, what with the bubblenest building.

Steph, I think she's REALLY ready to breed.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Steph, I think she's REALLY ready to breed.
He he he, I think you're right. Especially with Libby glued to the divider flaring for her all the time. The old guy hasn't showed this much spunk in a long time! He built a tiny little bubble nest but it was all that he could manage. Maybe she was trying to compensate for his lack of bubble nest building? I would love to breed her but I don't think Mike would be too keen on that idea. Vegas has an awesome bubble nest going and looks ready for a mate...but I don't think I should do it right now.

If she's full of eggs, what will happen if she doesn't breed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Well now Libby built this huge bubble nest with the largest bubbles I have ever seen. I feel bad. These two fishies must be so frustrated because they can't get to each other!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Playful Pup

look at the belly of your female, if it is indeed a female then she will have this little white spot (called and ovipositor), if no spot then u have a juvi male. the eggs if they are that, will just be reabsorbed into the body or dispelled and eaten, cant remember wich it is, been a long day at work

Tags
female betta, female bettas, male betta