Do fish learn to recognize their owner? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Do fish learn to recognize their owner?

I was just wondering because my last female Betta would swim up to the side of the tank, look at me, and swim from left to right every morning when I got up.
The female I have now will come up to the top every morning and when I used to get close she used to hide, now she just looks at me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Hello Earthling

I think they can learn to associate the large figure on the other side of the glass as the food giver.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My betta swims up to the top whenever anyone goes near his tank. I don't think he recognizes me in particular but like Kayla said, he knows the large figure often provides food.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:58 AM
RAT ADDICT

My bettas and goldfish did the same thing whenever anyone was around,hoping for food.

But my convicts and oscar would/will only swim out when I was around and appear to "watch" me and swim up to the top for food.I could even pet my oscar (I miss him) on the head.But when other people were around,the oscar and the convicts hide and stay around the bottom of the tank.It appears these guys recognize me as their food bringer!

I know oscars can be pretty smart fish too and can be clicker trained and such,so I fully believe my oscar recognized me,since he hid away from anyone else who came in the room.I have two convicts now and they act the same,are always out and about when I am there,but when someone else goes near the tank,they either hide or stay at the bottom of the tank.

I think fish are smarter then people give them credit for.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Depends on the fish. My hawkfish, for example, seems to be able to tell me apart from other people. I'm the only one who feeds him and he gets excited when I walk in the room. He greets other people but doesn't swim up for food like he does for me. Hawkfish have excellent vision (which would be a huge factor in whether or not a species can differentiate between people) and also seem to be fairly intelligent so it'd make sense.

Bettas usually get excited when people go over to their tanks but I'm not sure if they can tell their owners apart. I've heard stories of bettas that became depressed when their owner moved out or went on vacation but you can't really prove something like that.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

My betta seems to be able to tell me apart from other people. When I go up to his tank he always swims up to the top of the tank. I'm the only one who feeds him. When my fiance goes near his tank, Courage (the fish) doesn't swim up to the top.

My goldfish doesn't get excited no matter who goes near his tank, he ignores everyone. You have to actually drop food into the tank to get a response from him.